1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

any WiiU owners here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Nov 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I figured this would be a good spot to post this question since most of us here are adults with full time jobs.
    Now I know that the WiiU doesn't have the most extensive library and the latest popular releases. And that's perfectly fine with me, I'm not a full time gamer like I was as teen with no job and nothing else to do.
    All I own is Nintendo first party titles, but again, that is more than enough for me.
    But I will admit, and anyone who knows Nintendo cannot disagree: Nintendo knows how to make simple, fun, charming, yet challenging games. Something that other publishers can't accomplish IMO. I've played the Call of Dutys' and Grand theft auto 5. There's just too much going on in those games that accomplishing goals feels like a chore and not fun. And more often than not, I feel like I'm watching a movie instead of playing a VIDEO GAME. After a long day of work I just want to sit back and relax and not feel like I'm doing "work". It's a bit overwhelming for a full time working adult like myself. Just thinking out loud here and would like to hear others opinions.

#1 vaioavan63, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Nintendo is great if you enjoy playing almost the same game from over twenty years ago. They tend to keep the same formula in their sequels and mix it up with 1 or 2 new things to make it feel new.

I think the only series where they really tried to mix it up was with Legend of Zelda with the kid, adult Link and different types of graphics to different styles (over head, side scrolling, 3d). I guess Metroid is another one from side scrolling metrovania to FPS and it bombed pretty hard.

What Nintendo does well is that their games are generally simple, yet challenging and very polished. I have MK8 and a couple of Mario games, but that's about it. Haven't found the desire to put more than a few hours into each game.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I have one and I love it.

3D Mario Bros is fantastic.
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is also great, but super hard.
    The new Mario Kart is definitely a must have.
    Nintendoland is sneaky good. (Luigi's Mansion is one of the best party games ever)
    Can't go wrong with New Super Mario Bros U

I'm pretty excited about the new Super Smash Bros, never played a previous version but the new one looks pretty amazing.

I heard the new Bayonetta is great, but I try not to keep M games in the house cause of my kids.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Considering it if there are good sales on Black Friday. I'm really itching to get the new Super Smash Bros, and I hope it can recreate the masterpiece that was SSBM.

5. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Very cool to hear! Super Mario Bros. U feels exactly like Super Mario World but with HD graphics. Speed runs are so fun.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Nothing wrong with Nintendo, but you try to defend it while calling out other games. Nintendo has some fun games but the Wii U is seriously lacking because of terrible/no 3rd party support. There are a lot of great games out there and lots of different publishers. Restricting yourself to one publisher is very limiting. And not every game out there is "Call of Duty".

That said, I am a Nintendo fan. I love my 3DS. I'm a beast at smash bros 3DS and can't wait for Pokemon ORAS next week. Me and some friends are pitching in to buy a Wii U for Smash bros.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They ever redo that Advance Wars game? That game went hard.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I am getting a Wii U solely to play Smash Bros. I'll get other games for it but if it wasn't for Smash Bros I wouldn't bother with it. Hoping for a good Black Friday bundle

9. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I think they're working on a sequel right now. You should try Fire Emblem. It's similar to Advance Wars.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Wii U still using super nintendo graphics.

12. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I bought mine on July 4th with the anticipation of Smash Bros. in mind. I don't regret that decision. I've thoroughly enjoyed Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World, and I'm just now getting into the new Pikmin. Shovel Knight was definitely worth the cheap price. I'm definitely enjoying the WiiU

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Can't wait for Smash Bros

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

3D World is the greatest Mario game ever. The game itself isn't that difficult to beat, but adds great difficulty if you want 100% completion.

MK8 is wonderfully done.

My kids love Nintendoland, and is fun for play with non-gamers as the mini-games are fairly simple.

Wind Waker remake has been great for me as someone who really wasn't willing to give the game a chance before. It works especially well combined with the gamepad.

And they did what Sony & MS didn't do. They made their system backwards compatible again. I'd have bought an XB1 day 1 if they had done that.

WiiU has been better than I expected.

15. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Just bought one for my 6yo son. Today will be my first experience with a gaming system I own since...Atari 2600. Wish me luck...

16. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I agree with others regarding Mario World 3D. Absolutely terrific. I missed out on Mario Galaxy, but this is the best Mario game I have played.

Mario Kart 8, to me, has been the most enjoyable since Mario Kart 64. The levels are beautiful and the sensation you get from perfectly drifting a turn is nice.

Pikmin 3 was good but couldn't hold my attention. I'm expecting Super Smash Brothers to be the deal breaker to really give the WiiU some much needed momentum. No way it is a letdown... so much content based on the previews so far.

I'd have to agree with OP that Nintendo provides a unique experience in which the games offer a delight that can't be touched by Xbox and Playstation. On the other hand, games like GTA5, The Last of Us, Bioshock, etc etc provide an experience of entertainment that the WiiU can't give you. I was a Nintendo kid growing up so the WiiU appealed to me... but some good multiplayer action in Halo or CoD is a nice alternative.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ill take gameplay over graphics

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I actually got Wind Waker for free when I got Mario Kart 8, but I haven't really started it. I've heard great things about it, but honestly I went on a huge gaming binge for a few months and decided I needed to take a break. It's probably getting to be about that time that I might crack it open again and play Wind Waker.

Other than the Wii U, I haven't bought any of the latest generation consoles, but I have an XBox 360 with a Kinect and a PS3, so I wouldn't really consider myself a partisan gamer. But for my pound for pound money, the Wii U is definitely the best in terms of consistent quality. (not that there isn't some super great stuff out there obviously. I mean, Uncharted, the Batman set, Halo, Portal, are all among my favorite games)

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member