1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any updates on CSN, Rockets coverage?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theimpossibles1, Jun 9, 2014.

1. theimpossibles1

I haven't heard or seen anything on this debacle in a while. I can't get CSN where I live and I really want to watch the next Rockets season on TV. Wouldn't mind being able to watch the Astros and Dynamo either.

Was just hoping someone might have any information/updates about this situation?

2. bmd

bmd Member

The most recent news... from 6 days ago:

CSN Houston attorneys seek more time to reorganize network
    Posted on June 3, 2014 | By David Barron

The law firm representing Comcast SportsNet Houston’s parent company asked a federal bankruptcy court Tuesday for an additional 30 days to file its plan to reorganize the struggling regional sports network and said it will brief the court on its progress at a June 12 hearing.

The request came one day before the expiration Wednesday of the 120-day period during which the bankrupt network has the exclusive right to file a reorganization plan.

It did not include details of its progress toward revamping the troubled CSN Houston partnership, but the fact that attorneys are seeking extra time could indicate that progress is being made.

“The debtor is continuing to review and consider various alternatives,” attorneys for the Houston office of the law firm Haynes and Boone said in the nine-page petition to U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur.

Attorneys asked Isgur to grant an extension of approximately 30 days and a bridge order to “preserve the status quo and extend exclusivity” until a status conference that Isgur previously set for June 12.

The request was approved by officials with the Rockets, Astros and Comcast, who own CSN Houston’s parent company, Houston Regional Sports Network, “to provide the debtor additional time to further explore these alternatives,” attorneys said.

Attorneys also cited the “hotly contested” elements of the case among the three network partners and the fact that CSN Houston’s operations are of interest to Major League Baseball and the NBA as reasons to grant the extension.

“Furthermore, the debtor must formulate and execute a restructuring amidst a cable television industry that is in a particular moment of change and upheaval,” they added. “All of these facts demonstrate that the complexity of this bankruptcy case justifies an extension of exclusivity.”

CSN Houston has been under bankruptcy court jurisdiction since Sept. 27, 2013, when four Comcast affiliates filed an involuntary Chapter 11 petition in an effort to prevent the Astros from reclaiming their broadcast rights. Isgur granted the order on Feb. 4, triggering the 120-day exclusive reorganization period.

The network has been unable to reach carriage deals with such major carriers as DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and Dish Network and is available to no more than 40 percent of the Houston area’s 2.2 million TV households.

The Astros, who own 46.5 percent of the network partnership, and Rockets, who own 31 percent, are owed several tens of millions of dollars in unpaid rights fees as attorneys attempt to revamp the partnership into a profitable enterprise, perhaps by an infusion of capital from current investors or new investors.

The Astros and Rockets had no comment on Tuesday’s motion, and officials with Comcast declined to comment.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/06/csns-parent-company-asks-for-more-time-in-bankruptcy-court/

1 person likes this.
  3. ktex

ktex Member

Anyone know if there is a ball streams equivalent for Astros games?

4. theimpossibles1

Sounds like a bunch of crap. How does CSN "revamp a profitable partnership?" Release exclusivity? Is this extension a good or bad thing? Anybody have any insight or info?

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

This is ridiculous. Thats all I can say.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I hate this bs. Beyond pathetic

7. bmd

bmd Member

I blame everything on Comcast. Their demands were very unreasonable.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Speaking of CSN, can anyone remember who ran the CSN ads for a bike shop? There would be like 15 seconds of regular bike footage then about 5 seconds of panning boob shots? Seriously. Anyone?

9. wink3

wink3 Member

Brazzers

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I remember those, I was dying. WTF was that?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, it was weird... and great. C'mon, someone had to remember? I could never remember because the commercial had me so mesmerized. My only thought was boobs.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the exact same situation has been happening with Time Warner and the Lakers/Dodgers.

it's been two seasons now that about half the market can't see Laker games, and the Dodgers are in their first year under the new TW network with the same problems with the other providers.

I am curious as to what will happen after the Comcast/Time Warner merger.

will they turn all of the timewarner sports networks into csn, or vice versa?