1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any thoughts about the solution to floppers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by longliverox, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. longliverox

longliverox Member

Here is one: The League give each team one opportunity to challenge refs by reviewing one specific play after each game if they think opponent player(s) have played flopping. Once crystal flopping is detested, heavy penalties should be imposed on that player!

The League really start doing something to floppers, its just disgusting to see floppers in basketball games.

2. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Deal with it and keep it moving

3. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

It seems like there is a simple solution for flopping. All the league needs to do is review the plays after the game and see if certain players flopped. If they can determine this with reasonable certainty then they should fine them. They should put a limit on how many times this happens throughout the season for each player and if they reach this limit then heavy fine & suspension should occur.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I like Bullard's idea where their should be a technical, and then maybe a 1000 dollar fine for first time floppers and 2nd time 5000 and then I say suspensions for 3rd timers. I would be happy with that system. Funny Brewer would have paid the league 11,000 last night if this were the case and that is just off the top of my head. I know Battier flops, and so does Scola but I dont even think their on the same level as Brewer or Kirelenko last night.

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

i honestly think that the league just doesn't really care about the flopping issue. i mean what's it to them, fans are still going to the game, filling their wallets with cash. usually the league makes rules that is in the interest of their own wallets. hence the elimination of the hand check after jordan left to try find another jordan-esque wingman, stern needed to find another Jordan. They also eliminated the illegal defense to prevent players like Shaq from taking over the game because a lot of fans were complaining that it's unfair since Shaq's so huge.

6. longliverox

longliverox Member

Any number under 20 grand is tiny for players in this League, star players wont give a damn about few bucks if they can steal a win by floping in a huge game, like those in the conference finals.

The League can limit the times each team use their rights, but should put severe penalties on floppers so that they will give a second thought before doing that.

7. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

firing squad?

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Review each questionable play after the games. Fines for first and second offenses of 2500 and then 5k. After third offense, start with game time suspensions.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

foul them so hard that they arent flopping anymore when they fall. the refs will make the call either way. sorry, i posted this before in another thread. but seriously how many threads do we need about this?

10. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Stern knows what a flop is and what isn't a flop. It's just a matter of enforcing the rule that has been presented to the league.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The best solution to floppers is to ignore the referees and acquire players that penetrate.

Pure inside-out doesn't work as well as having some penetrators to get the opposing guys in foul trouble, especially the bigs that control the paint. Tony Parker, D-Wade, and Pierce are all penetrators.

The opposing teams have been using floppers to get Yao in trouble. Morey is reversing the game plan by acquiring guys like Landry, Lowery, and James White.

1) Rockets will be running into the opposing team's big man and getting them in foul trouble. The opposing big man can front Yao, the rockets will have a clear line of attack then.

2) Once their big men get into foul trouble, they will be less aggressive on defending Yao. If they choose to keep manhandling Yao, risk getting another foul and be sent to the bench early.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah, I think we need a review system also for the flops. It's clear that the players won't stop because they see that it wins games and their job is to help win games.

I propose that you can challenge 2 foul calls per half. If your challenge is won, the call is reversed and the player who caused the foul (flopped) gets a technical foul (your team shoots a FT). If you lose your challenge, you lose a full timeout and play resumes as the original call dictates. If you are out of timeouts, you cannot challenge (or a variation: you can still challenge but if you lose you are assessed a technical; other team shoots a FT).

NBA rule is that if a player accrues 15 techs in a season (and 7 in the playoffs), they are suspended. So there are eventual repercussions to habitual floppers if they are called correctly in this system.

#12 v3.0, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  13. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Point 2 is wrong. In the *real* NBA, you're allowed to kick, punch, and throw Yao to the ground. Yao then gets called for the offensive foul.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seconded.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

True, but maybe you could raise the stakes in the playoffs.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hey guys i was just thinking about this earlier today...

If there was another example in the playoffs like last season with Kirilenko flopping on Mcgrady - which had a huge effect on the outcome of a game - what would happen if the team refused to come on the court?

If the players and coaches agreed to protest and relocate to the locker room without coming back to the court and playing the rest of the game in defiance of the obviously terrible officiating - what would the league do?

They can't suspend an entire team from the playoffs and give a free pass to the opposing team can they? Well i'm sure they possibly could, but more than likely they wouldn't.

I'm sure a huge fine would be handed down to everyone involved - but would it finally get the point across?

17. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Dikembe Mutombo on the court? :D

18. OlajuwonShake34

We thought we solved this problem during the off-season when Stern said he would start fining players. He obviously has not done anything and he obviously will not be doing anything.

There is nothing to solve this problem unfortunately.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

the problem is its very hard to distinguish between flopping and a legitimate foul. i think thats why the league hasnt done anything about it. the refs get better as the game goes on. i was impressed when the refs didn't call a foul when brewer jumped into yao.

20. houstonsnk

houstonsnk Member

There needs to be something done with flopping. Its getting out of hand. I agree the refs need to review some plays.