1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Teachers on the Board?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know Falcons Talon is. Any advice for someone thinking about getting in the field? Both of my roommates are high school teachers as well as one of my best friends. They all seem to enjoy it as much as possible while in school and of course, they love the two and a half months off in the summer, the two weeks at Christmas, Spring Break, etc. I'm seriously considering doing this for next year. They haven't announced the openings for high school in Katy, but there are two new junior highs opening and I think I would work well with 8th graders.

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I taught and worked in schools for about 7 years. Most of my experience was teaching special ed at the middle school level. I can tell you this- It can be an incredibly rewarding job, but it's very difficult and to do it well requires significantly more than 8 hours a day during the school year. Also, I think teaching at the middle school level is the most difficult because of student behavior.

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

My gf subs at that area.. elementary tho.. it really drains the hell out of her. I hate kids too.

4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not a teacher, but my wife is and this is what I have learned about the field:

-It is a thankless job, and the only credit you really receive is from positive interactions from students.

-Once you get in it is extremely hard to get out. It is as if employers look at your time teaching as time without a real job.

-It is easy to be a crappy teacher, but it is really time consuming to be a competent teacher.

These are just a few observations from my wife, who works her arse off, and has a positive relationship with her students, but is ultimately unhappy and actively seeking other employment.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd prefer high school, but the school district would be more important to me than the age group.

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Obama wants to go to year around teaching/school. No more summers.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

give me a break

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The teaching experience is extremely situational - you may be right for the job, but the work environment might not be right for you.

There are a bunch of things to consider (some of these I've experienced firsthand, others I've discovered through other teachers experiences): Some schools that have the same lesson plans for every subject, and you don't have to come up with anything on your own. A lot of schools are not like this - you'll do your own lesson planning. There are always special needs kids and disciplinary kids to consider. The teaching/discipline philosophy can also vary greatly by school. And you might not get along (personality clash) with your coworkers/bosses/parents. And most teachers don't get paid what they're worth, but you probably aren't in it for the money anyway - and that's a big thing in and of itself.

Plus, remember all that homework you did back in school? Imagine doing all of that, times 100, because you're going to have at least 5 classes, 20 (AT LEAST) kids each.

It's not for the feint of heart or constitution. That said, the first few years are generally the roughest, because you're a n00b, you'll be getting used to and learning from a lot of unanticipated things. So, if you decide to get into it, you definitely need to give yourself a few years to get over your learning curve.

It's an extremely great feeling when you do reach out and make an impact on a kid's life/education, and it's very rewarding to see your kids learn and grow. I loved teaching - absolutely loved it. Loved my kids and the other teachers, the parents, everything. I just couldn't afford to live on the pay I was getting.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if they could offer me more.

9. meggoleggo

You do get a break ;)

Kids go 3 months in school, 1 month off. Some year round programs even go 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Very true.

My wife is a teacher, so I see this first hand. My sister is an administrator in Katy ISD and my Mother was a music teacher. Most of my friends are band directors so it's even more time for them (after school rehearsals, football games, contests, trips, etc.) Teachers MORE THAN EARN their time off.

Also agree with whoever said if you get into teaching, be prepared to STAY in it. Don't just do it for the time off.

All that being said, I'm starting my ACP next month! :)

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I'm a substitute in SBISD. My dad is a principal here, and my stepmom teaches in CISD. It's a decent job. I make more money than I would at Starbucks, and I like the students (of course, there is always the problem that some of them *like* me). But it's all good.
    However, I don't plan on doing it for a living. When subbing, you don't have to deal with lesson plans, politics, staff development, grading papers, etc. But teachers do. But it's nice money while in college!

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

How did you get the job? Because of your father, or were you qualified? What are the qualifications to be a sub?

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised thread by RM95 to pick up hot teacher chicks. ;)

sure, like there are so many female teachers in CF.net :rolleyes:

I am thinking about teaching once I burn out in IT. :D

14. meggoleggo

Qualifications vary from district to district. Some want people with a bachelors degree, others will take 60 hours of college.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You get to mess around with potentially good looking students.

Of course you could be registered in the criminal system as a sex offender if caught, but it's a small chance you take.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I LOVE teaching, but I'm an elementary music teacher. The experience is entirely dependent upon WHAT you want to teach? What is your subject/content area?

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Allll-right.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am actually registered to start the process of getting certified to teach as well. I have to go back to school to get an MAT (Master's of Teaching) in order to do what I want to do... which is teach middle school Math and English.

The program is supposed to take me 18 months from the time I start this summer.

I love working with kids though. I have been coaching volleyball and basketball regularly for the last 7 years, so I know the age group I want to work with and since I like English and I'm good at Math that's the direction I am going.

Don't do it just because you get vacations during the summer and spring break, those are the teachers that piss me off because they don't put in the extra work to actually help the kids.

Also, private schools give you less discipline issues, but more attitude and parent hassles than public schools. You also make more money at a public school generally. Unless its a very high tuition private school.

19. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

I teach at a private school and I don't think there is much less (percentage wise) as far as discipline goes. It seems like there is a sense of entitlement that the kids in private school have. The attitude of "I pay for this, you serve me" type of thing is kind of tiring at times.

Believe me...by the time the end of the year comes, you are VERY ready for the break. IF you do teaching correctly, by the end of the year you are drained physically, mentally and emotionally. I put myself in there all for the kids. I go to their games to support them, I play with them, I talk with them if they are having problems, etc.

Like many people said above me, it's a thankless job....except for when you see a student have an "Ah ha!" moment. That's when it starts being worth it.

20. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

If you are looking for long vacation time. Be a lecturer for universities or colleges. Lot less work (TAs do all the dirty works), and lot more rewarding (smarter students). Plus you actually get to teach the subject that you are good at.