1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Tax Experts Out There? - Homestead Exemption

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete the Cheat, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Pete the Cheat

So while in the process of selling our house, it's come to my attention we had never filed for a Homestead Exemption during 8 years of ownership. After visiting the tax office, I can still receive credit for the past 2 years (year end 2015). However, the 6 additional years are essentially a loss.

Can I claim the 6 years of non-filed tax exemptions as a loss on my 2016 taxes?

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Sorry but no you can't your just SOL on those years.

Pete the Cheat likes this.
  3. Pete the Cheat

you'll never know unless you ask. thanks!

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just bought a home in April, when can I start the process of filing for the exemption?

5. Pete the Cheat

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You should be able to file on or shortly after the day you close on your house. You won't be able to realize the benefit until you own and occupy the house on January 1 of any given year.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What kind of broker did you have that didn't remind you to file for homestead? o_O

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty common problem. I've had several clients I've advised get them after noticing they didn't have one.

You were able to deduct the loss of your homestead exemption on your tax return every year that was affected via the property tax deduction on schedule A. And opportunity cost is never deductible (but boy do people want me to try).

Pete the Cheat likes this.
  9. Pete the Cheat

ah...this is a good explanation. I have obviously been living in the world of forecasting too long where clients believe "opportunity cost" is a tangible value when talking hard dollars...