1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any suggestions for an aspiring writer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Sensei, May 11, 2003.

1. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

I'm in the process of creating a Fiction. Any suggestions for anyone who's had previous experience with writing your own book?

I know many of you are fascinating writers, so I do value your opinion.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Two quotes from the best writer of this century we live in:

"Art, if there is such a thing, is in the bathrooms; everybody knows that."

And also...

"Do not create anything. It will be misinterpreted. It will follow you the rest of your life."

Bob Dylan said that.

Good luck.

I said that.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Go rent the movie Misery to learn what not to do.

Good luck. :)

4. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Hey Rox Box...I'm an aspiring writer as well, except I want to be a lyricist...I would recommend writing from your own experiences...dont write on what you dont know, write on whats already happened to you (sounds simple, but a lot of writers lose credibility when they write on topics they have no background on)...also, always remember who your audience is, and write for them...stay on topic (thats the 1st important thing)...and remember, the most important thing is to remember that you are writing for YOURSELF, no one else (so dont let others decide what you will write)...thats all I really have...good luck!

also, do you know of any good publishers in the Houston area...I'm trying to get some of my stuff published as well. Thanx. :)

5. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Hey guys. Those are some great suggestions. Inspiration comes in so many different forms, and right now, Clutch BBS Hangout is my source of inspiration.

Thanks!

The Box

6. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

As an aspiring author, I've found out the golden rule is: keep writing. Never stop. The more you write, the better you will become. Oh, and read a lot as well. Especially books in the same genre as you wish to write. Finally, find your own style of writing. Don't try and copy a famous author. The more you write, the easier this will become.

I've bought a few 'how to' books on writing, they seemed to be very helpful. Also, keep a dictionary and thesaurus at hand, and look out for a 'writers guide'- a book which tells about punctuation, grammar, and ugly stuff like that. Trust me, it will help. :D

Save you work. And backup your saved work. And backup your backups, and backup your backups backups....there is nothing worse than writing a 100,000 word story, and losing it all due to some freak accident.

7. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

keep a writer's log handy. you never know when something can rear its head and smack you with inspiration. like a big turd on the road. jot down anything that comes to your head. bits and pieces. people you've met. characters, events, scenes..