1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Pool Owners Here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jul 20, 2022.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I shocked with liquid chlorine on Thursday, then put 4 tabs in my chlorinator. All of my numbers are back in line now, including alkalinity and PH. Only thing high is the calcium hardness, but that's mostly my 20-year old surface. I'm going to replace it during the offseason.

I'm going to keep shocking once a week and keep my chlorinator full (instead of 1 tab at a time) and I think I'll be fine now. I also turned my return jets facing up more. I read that helps aerate the pool more than if they're pointing down or to the side.

Thanks for all the tips!

BTW, has anyone ever replaced a pool light?

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

how much were you paying for pool service?

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1 tab at a time? I generally had 3-4 during the summer and dial set on 3.

Yeah, done that, too. Wasn't fun.

4. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Switch to salt water. Very easy to maintain including changing the cell when needed. My pool is set and forget unless it rains a lot. The. I check it.

with the salt cell my pool stays reliably at a low Cl concentration. Perfect clear smell free water and no eye burn or dry skin on the kids.

ArtV likes this.
  5. BenignDMD

What pool questions do you have? Don’t really want to read the the thread. I can give you the links that I use to maintain the pool with baking soda, borax, and acid only. I turn the salt cell up after a heavy load of kids and the pool and it’s perfectly I. The morning again. Check your CYA if you’re burning through chlorine. Salt cell was the best decision ever because the salt is cheap, it stopped raining in Houston so the pool never runs out of salt, and chlorine is expensiv.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What resources did y'all use to switch to salt water?

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Salt pools eat through the equipment like crazy from what I heard

8. BenignDMD

I built the pool with salt water. It’s just a control box and extra plumbing. Should be easy to install aftermarket.

I had our salt water pool built 5 years ago. Zero issues thus far, except for replacing the cell ($600) this year. That’s around the avg lifespan.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Chlorine pool industrial complex propaganda.

ArtV likes this.