1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any OU basketball fans out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by don grahamleone, Feb 10, 2003.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

How 'bout them Horns! Finally we get the OU monkey off our backs. It was a fun game if you like defense. We also seemed to find a guy that can slow down Hollis Price(TJ Ford)! Great game by James Thomas too. Career high for rebounds(16). Can't wait for the one on the other side of the red river.

2. red

red Contributing Member

wrong forum...

good game though

hook em horns

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It's 11:11 and..........

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

the OU Sux chant is getting a little old...

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

This is the right forum. It was great to see them finally get the Sooners in one of the major sports.

I went to the game Saturday against the aggy. I like the depth on the team, but in a sense I also feel Barnes is using too many guys for too long.

Hopefully it works to our favor later in the tourneys, but I would like to see him cut down the minutes on a couple of guys and get a solid rotation.

The Big XII is damn solid this year ! !

Good game Sooners, see you in 4 weeks.

kidrock8 is tired of the chant... and OU still sux ;)

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Uh, No.

OU SUX will never get old.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I hadn't seen such a hard-fought game like that in a while. It rivals some UNC-Duke games I've seen.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

OU still sucks!

I needed that!

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hope everyone caught the game. I rushed the court from the South O-Zone. At first we were blocked by the Erwin Center Staff, but once the bum rush started, there was nothing they could do. Some old alum tried to push us back to no avail. He grabbed a hold of my arm, and I shoved him to the ground, and did a nice dipsy-doodle past the 3 fat Hispanic FEC employees blocking the way.

The guys were pumped on the floor. Boddicker, Erskin, Buckman, JT, were all slapping high-5's with everyone, and going crazy. There were so many people down there I could hardly breathe. Awesome atmosphere. Great to see the University of Texas turn into a basketball school. Moreover, the Big XII is emerging as the premier basketball conference in the nation.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

OU still sux !!!!!!!

I would say "act like you've been there before," but fact is, in basketball, we haven't.

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

It was certainly a hard fought game, and was great to see such good fan support. I would have to say the UT vs Kansas game last year was one of the most hard fought games I had ever been to. I only wish the fans were as into the game as they seemed to be tonight.

Bottom line, I am happy to see good basketball back in the south. OU the last few years, Texas the last two, its good and exciting and keeps sports more interesting year round. A&M will be coming around soon too, this could be fun!

Hopefully we can begin to keep the likes of Okafor, Ewing etc in the state.

PS-

Any one else get sick of seeing the dukies all the time.

12. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Four quick questions:

Where are they selling those shirts? I have a nephew who will be attending next season and its his birthday and I wanted to get him one.

Were you at the KU game last year? Though I obviously watched tonight's game on TV, it seemed a lot more electric than KU last year.

How tough is it to get non-OU game tix?

Do you think we can expect regular sell outs?

13. DVauthrin

Horns,

They give you O-Zone shirts at the game(once you get your wristband and all). This was the best I have ever seen a crowd at the Drum, and I was at work(student TV show for KU last year). Since the entire group of us wanted to only watch the double OT thriller, we moved our show this week to Tuesday :).

First, OU sucks never ever will go out of style ;).

2nd, I was about 50-100 people away from getting an O-Zone spot, but I got a good halfcourt mezzaine seat, and had a blast.

3rd, I would've rushed the court except a) I had my car in a 10:30 pm garage(closing time), b) I was in the upper deck

The fans had every right to storm the court. First, OU is our huge rival now who has had our number in both football and basketball. 2nd, truth is, while we have been a decent basketball school, we have not been an elite program, so this win was huge.

Texas is a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball, and the rest of the country should be very afraid because it has awakened.

Yes, I was nervous when it stayed 47-48 for 9 minutes in the 2nd half, and I wanted to hurt the refs for those tickytack calls on UT in the 2nd half, but I never stopped cheering or got worried.

I also noticed Sydmill is an underrated defender, he stayed with Hollis for parts of this game, but TJ gave him nightmares. Though, I wonder if he can be a NBA starter, because while he can stroke it, he does push off every shot(hes not Jordan), and his other skills aren't shown(ball handling, passing, etc). He is a definite pro though, and I may just not have seen enough of him to judge his all around game.

But anyway

HOOK EM' and SCOREBOARD!

#13 DVauthrin, Feb 11, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2003
  14. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Fore every game or is it just this one? I guess the only hope is to look for a student trying to make pizza (and Dell Dude ;) ) money on Ebay.

That is great! I am happy to see the people getting into it. I know when I was there, b-ball was almost an "if there is nothing else to do" type thing. I love b-ball so I would go but there was better atmosphere at the Remebrance Gardens Funeral Home.

What is the general feel there, will Tech, Baylor & K St sell out or come close?

15. DVauthrin

Every game, however you are in luck, I should be in attendance next Monday(another big Monday) against Tech(I can try for one then). I'm not sure, but you might want to ask Baqui too.

Tech will sell out I think, Baylor and Kansas State I doubt it, but with the new bball craze in Austin(a few people camped out, and heck even though I wasted my morning getting Clinton tickets I didn't want, I was up there at 6:30 and ready), I don't know. I went home took a 6 hour rest till 4, got back to the Erwin Center at 4:30, waited for 2 hours, 1 to find out I barely missed the O-Zone, the second to meet the 6:30 entry time/ticket handout to the game.

It was worth it, and I love my all T-TH schedule

#15 DVauthrin, Feb 11, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2003
  16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

That was a great game, and a fantastic outcome. I can't wait until they play again in Norman, and hopefully in the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments. Texas-OU isn't just about football any more!

17. Major

Major Member

Any of you students who went -- what time did you get there and were you able to get tickets? We bought tickets for OU but will probably try the student draw for Texas Tech. I know A&M ran out 45 minutes for game time, and I assume it's only gotten earlier.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, pushing over old people is really cool. :rolleyes:

Great game, though!!!

19. Buck Turgidson

Pathetic. The fact that you posted this as if it were some sort of badge of honor makes it even more pathetic.

20. Buck Turgidson

I think he may be too small for the NBA; he's got a great shot, good quickness & handles, but one of the smallest frames you'll ever see on a D-1 player. I've also never seen someone need to push off on every single jumper he takes, but he had to in this game, the D was that good on him. He's a hell of a college player, but anything other than a cup of coffee in the pros may be a stretch.