1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any news on Verlander?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My bad, I got confused with John Smoltz… who most definitely is from Michigan!

MrBear1 likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'd still love to be the team that found out what he has left. I still think there's something left in the tank.

They just have to have a conversation to find out if a simple QO for one year is a better option for both than a longer term deal with protections for both via incentives, opt outs, buyouts and options including vesting options. All that is surrounded by question marks about the new MLBPA master agreement rules and restrictions.

It's going to be an interesting off season. Baseball in 2022 is NOT a given.

BTW, I'm not sure if JVs 2020 salary was reduced by the COVID rules, but I suspect it was.

#102 Marshall Bryant, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  3. Fantasma Negro

A major leagues starting pitcher? Lol

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

msn and vince like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Juggies!

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just found out his 2020 salary in an internet search. All players who chose to play the season received 37% of their Contract Salary. So Verlander received 12.2M for his 6 inning 2020 season and $31M for his 2021 lost season, though the cap amounts were averaged to include his signing bonus.

Still, I like the idea of at least talking about keeping him for longer. We'll have to see what he thinks of incentives, buyouts and opt outs for a longer term deal.

Crane echoed my thoughts that offering a QO is a no brainer for even a 3/4 Verlander or even 1/2 Verlander..

#106 Marshall Bryant, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Doubt Granato would make this up. Wow

BMoney likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, not a strong endorsement.
    He gone

Htown Legend likes this.
  9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

What the? If true this team is led by insecure nitwits. I can think of several reasons to spotlight JV. They should be embracing him. I’m sure he’s been grinding to return from an injury he suffered pitching for this franchise.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Also very possible that behind closed doors Verlander has tried to distance himself from the Astros to protect his legacy…. Word could have gotten back to the clubhouse, and naturally, wouldn’t sit well with many guys.

11. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Hoping not true. Mattress MAc and Verlander are an odd pairing

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I don’t see why that’s so bad that the team didn’t want him there…He hasn’t been around all year, he shouldn’t be the focus. Seems like a distraction, no tough feelings.

whag00 and Fulgore like this.
  13. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

The more I think on it, the more I think Granato got it wrong. It makes more sense if it was JV who made the call to not take the spotlight off the other guys.

14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

You may not like the message, and of course he could be wrong, but Granato has real connections and doesn’t make things up.

Htown Legend likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

I didn’t know Al Bundy posted here on Clutchfans… LOL

16. vince

vince Member

Verlander is a heck of a pitcher. Before he came to Houston, many thought he was in the twilight of his career; then he gets to Houston and it reignited his elitism; he was instrumental in saving the 2017 World Series. He got a Cy Young award, and he led another team into the World Series, where they lost to the Nationals.

I hope that Verlander remembers that the Dodgers nor Yankees wanted him when Detroit was trying to move him; both organizations thought Verlander was washed up. Astros and Luhnow believed that Verlander was just bored in mediocre vile that was Detroit 2017.

I think if true, this move by the Astros players is telling Verlander, that the Astros aren’t a dog and pony show. Look at the guys buying in, Gurriel, Brantley, McCullers, Altuve. All were guys who took less because the team is the team; where not one player can overshadow this current elite team. It’s a message to Verlander that he’s a great pitcher, but the Astros are built around an idea, and of who’s buying into it to become a part of the idea of baseball greatness.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

have the people complaining about justin verlander not being around the houston astros in 2021 considered the possibility that he decided to devote this year to himself, his well-being, his family, etc.

like, why is this a thing?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's not really a thing. None of the players have said anything. It's just stupid **** the media needs to talk about because they need likes and clicks. Talk radio guys have the least connections in general.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Cool if he decided to do that and not be paid. However, I personally would feel a little guilty pulling in 60+ million for only a few innings, and would check in with the team every now and then.

20. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Exactly!

How about being a good teammate and working with the rest of the staff? The guy is a lock for the HOF, his knowledge and analysis could help the younger guys.

Glad he’s living his best life….