1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any news on Verlander?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

To be fair, Nolan broke the mold of expectations for an aging Fastball pitcher. They'd take a chance on knuckleballers and junkball pitchers, but everybody KNEW fastball pitchers wouldn't last. Koufax was on everybodies mind.

msn likes this.
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wrong thread...

3. PhiSlammaJamma

4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

So let me get this straight...John Wall was basically asked to ride the pine and he's still planning on going with the team to the games, practices, etc. Meanwhile, JV comes here and wins his coveted ring, signs a $33M/yr deal and he won't throw a pitch over the span of said contract, and where exactly is he to be found?

Edit: Yeah, hard pass on paying him any more money...would much rather overpay Correa (and yes obviously I know this isn't a real factor in the decision given the length)

astros123 and RKREBORN like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Difference in health/safety protocols on healthy players on the roster and injured players rehabbing.

The only thing that could be questioned is to had he gotten the surgery when first diagnosed, maybe he’d be closer to coming back… but would have still been pushing it.

But as it is, he tried to rest/rehab it and see if there was a chance he could pitch with the pain like LMJ did in 2018 (he had a torn UCL during the playoffs, and had surgery almost immediately after they were eliminated).

vince likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He pitched 6 innings of that contract.

In hindsight he should have had the surgery and maybe came back for an October push, but he wanted to come back for an October push last year, and if he had, we very well may have been playing the Dodgers in the World Series.

Who cares about him not being with the team right now? He'd be nothing but a distraction.

vince, Nick and Htown Stros like this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

If that's the case then understandable and good to know - I wasn't aware of that although makes since with COVID you wouldn't bring an extra body.

The comments about wanting to return to Detroit already had me a bit annoyed and I just saw him posting pics of Ferrari's and him acting like James Bond on Twitter so it set me off a bit, especially considering guys like Evan Gattis and Josh Reddick still are so connected to the Astros (attending games, backing the team on Twitter and against haters, etc.).

chievous minniefield and Nick like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's still posting pics of him in an Astros uni. Reminiscing about the no-hitter last year when they traded Toro. Reminiscing about his 3,000'th K. Reminiscing about the ALCS and obviously WS wins...

He's posted enough about his Astros time to suggest he would likely consider coming back here if the offer/timing was right. The Astros still are likely in a better place for next year vs. the Tigers, in terms of winning it all. While he's not from Houston, he spoke glowingly of how much he loved being around these guys, how the clubhouse environment was to his liking... and surprisingly how he was more of a fan of the local media vs. the Detroit beat-writers (I believe he had a personal run-in with one of them, got him banned from the clubhouse).

Ultimately, he's from Michigan... he spent nearly his entire career with the Tigers... I won't feel like the Astros got slighted if he ultimately decides to retire as a Tiger. Its only if he decides to go straight money-grab and end up with the Angels (who will likely overpay anybody this off-season) that I'd raise an eyebrow.

9. phasors28

phasors28 Member

10. awc713

awc713 Member

If JV comes back…man. JV, LMJ, Framber is one helluva 1-3, not to mention Urquidy, Garcia, and the rest of our SPs coming up the pipeline. Just nasty. Would be top 5 rotation in baseball if JV can come back to 90% of what he was, granted we’ll have to see how he manages without the sticky stuff.

vince and Da Man like this.
  11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I say JV resigns. He loves the organization and has a good relationship with the front office. Correa will ultimately resign too for a huge contract. Crane is gonna do it.

vince, ryan_98, awc713 and 1 other person like this.
  12. HeyBudLetsParty

Verlander has done enough for this team and in his career he can literally do whatever he wants. It sucks that he was injured for the duration of the contract but it was only a 2 year deal, most likely in case something like this were to occur. He could’ve easily signed a 5 year contact for more money but chose to sign for less years at a higher dollar figure. As a result he has the freedom to do what he wants after those 2 years. At the end of the day I’d love to see him back on a reasonable deal, it would be the good guy thing to do. But he was crucial in getting us a World Series, and if he’s pitched his last pitch as an Astro, I still literally love him.

vince likes this.
  13. HeyBudLetsParty

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"JUGGIES!" - Justin Verlander.

Thats the news....

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

vince likes this.
  16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Except his view is a naked Kate Upton, not Patrick

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Why would he be staring at his naked wife through a window like this? Are they role-playing a Fast Times at Ridgemont High fantasy?

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just put JV out there as a starter. Surely, he's around 75 - 80 % by now?

20. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Verlander is from Virginia