1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any news on Verlander?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

I can't shake the feeling both Verlander and Correa end up in Detroit.

Tomstro likes this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

I can see it, and it scares me a little. Detroit is already on the fringe of breaking through (thanks to Hinch, God I miss him), and when they do it will be with some of our parts. Damn.

Uprising and Radricky like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

And both Verlander and Correa have the potential to be the best at pitching and hitting next season. Yikes, if Verlander wins the Cy Young and Correa shows his MVP ceiling, that many of us know he has.....

I like both those dudes, but as they say, you can't pay them all; so you got to part ways...

At least the Astros will get some draft pick compensations back.... ughhh

Uprising likes this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think he takes it. Doubt a team gives up a draft pick on a 1 or 2 year deal for Verlander when he likely won't start the season on time and if he does he'll need to have some breaks. No way he's starting 30 games in 2022. After next year that'll be his strong free agency push.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Verlander is given a QO and doesn’t accept it, it will be because he is fully healthy and thinks he will get a multi-year deal that exceeds the QO. If he were to hold a showcase and throw mid 90s stuff, contending teams will be more than willing to toss him $40M/2yrs plus lose a pick.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling if Verlander is offered the QO, it will be a Dallas Keuchel situation where he sits at home thinking someone will sign him for much, much more when no one really will.

Tomstro likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Some folks are more concerned about his off speed stuff.

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I love Verlander but other than DeGrom, has any other starting pitcher came back from Tommy John surgery and won the Cy Young award?

Also remember Verlander will be 39 next year.

I’m not saying he can’t do it, but if he does then he’ll have to go down as the greatest pitcher of all time lol.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No, but it isn't like they haven't been close. Of course, most pitchers don't bounce fully back until year 2, and I don't know if any have ever been as old as Verlander.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chris Sale doing fine this year.

John Smoltz also did very well, both as a closer and again as a starter, and was older.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Its virtually a lock to happen in the NL this season. Buehler and Wheeler have had Tommy John.

Pretty much everybody that gets Tommy John now returns to their pre TJ level of performance. If he were 30, teams would have no hesitation paying him a gigantic contract this offseason. The age is the real concern, not the surgery.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  12. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Buehler/Wheeler going to win the Cy Young over Max? Scherzer has fewer innings pitched but is better in pretty much every metric. ERA, K/9, H/9. BB/9, ERA+, WHIP etc

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lazy prediction.

Verlander is going to work his ass off to come back and pitch for either a winning team or Detroit. If he wants a replay of his final years with the Tigers... he could certainly choose to sign with the Angels.

Nook likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just don't see that happening in a dying City. It's barely supporting the team now and there's not much population to add to the fan base. Without it's rich past, I think it would already be gone.

https://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/michigan/detroit

It remains optimistic about growth (wishful thinking) in the face of a multi-decade decline which hasn't shown any evidence of stopping.

#75 Marshall Bryant, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The Market Value of a 39 year old coming off Tommy John is far different than a 37 year old coming off a Cy Season. I wonder if a QO can be within a choice of One Year QO or 2 year deal option. I'd actually prefer a 2 year deal with a third year vesting option. Give him some downside protection in exchange for upside value to recover the injury years.

Nook likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we sign one of Verlander and Correa. I know we cant afford both.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I have zero interest in Verlander. I just don’t see him getting back to his old self. No spider tack and he’s gonna be 40.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The Astros thought the same thing with Nolan Ryan. Then he threw two more no-hitters and pitched for 7 seasons.

vince likes this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True, I simply forgot how common that is.

msn and cmlmel77 like this.