1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any news on Verlander?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

They won 311 games between '17-'19 with Correa missing ~40% of their games, including a lost 2018 season in which he was below league-average.

They still have four of the better players in baseball; a good, young pitching foundation; some pieces in the pipe; $$$ to spend with a hyper-competent front office; and a weak division they can likely win with 88+ wins.

RKREBORN, msn, lnchan and 5 others like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Member

MLBTR has Rodon's estimate at $25M/1year vs $40M/2 years for Verlander, so I don't know if that would be true. Of course I wouldn't be stunned if a team out there offered Rodon $100M over 5 years just taking a chance.

If it is 2/$40M, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Astros, unless Verlander doesn't want to be here.

3. juicystream

juicystream Member

I don't think these reverse jinxes actually work.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Rodon's entire free agency boils down to health. If his arm is healthy, he's going to receive a very large offer. I can't see any scenario in which he accepts a 1/$25MM deal.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

(Did I miss a bit? Was that all a reverse jinx act?)

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Yet. Correa was always here. He's not only the best player in the league, he's been the glue. Yu'all are talking like the Mitch Meluskey days, everything is gonna just be ok because we know a guy. but it's not. This is too big.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

Nobody can seriously think Correa is the best player in baseball, so I just have to assume that it is either that or sarcasm.

jiggyfly, msn, cmoak1982 and 7 others like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Correa is 21st in position player fwar since 2015. 16th over the last 2 seasons. 8th this season. There is no reasonable argument that he is the best player in baseball.

BlindHog, jiggyfly, msn and 5 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

93-97 from what I read. I do not know how many pitches he made.

I know a scout supposedly said "Verlander is ready", but if Strom thought he was really ready right this moment, he would have been on the WS roster. He is getting closer, but he isn't at 100%.

King1 likes this.
  10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Member

On what planet is Correa the best player in baseball?

lw17, everyday eddie, Surfguy and 2 others like this.
  11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Member

What if Crane didn't want to make him available to pitch? He definitely had a motive...

12. Nook

Nook Member

Winning the World Series is more important than the money hit. Further, Verlander would not have kept quiet.... and it doesn't fit the profile of Crane either. If the Astros and Verlander felt he was ready, he would have been on the World Series roster. A World Series title is worth a lot more than 2o million dollars.

jiggyfly, msn, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Member

Agreed but Verlander coming off injury and throwing a few innings here and there really wouldnt have had a major impact either way

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Depends on the innings. Assuming everything was the same, a few relief innings in game 4 would have been incredibly important.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I think many are also assuming the Astros were working with him - they may have been? But his response on Twitter seemed to indicate he was working out independent of the team.

Also, you guys (not you, Nook) need to understand there's a significant difference between a bullpen session and regular season games, and then there's another significant gap between regular season games and the high stress of the postseason. Not to mention: his surgery was Oct. 1 - it had barely been a year when recovery can run 12-16 months.

He wasn't ready.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

“Verlander is ready” means verlander will be ready to play come spring training next year .

There’s no way he’s is good form right now and there’s no way he could have been in the form needed to appear in a WS game.

He’s nearly 40 and it takes most pitchers till their second year to fully get their control back .

lance was not ready last year .

I hope we can keep him because it’s a nice gamble to take . You might get a ~30 million dollar TOR level guy for only 20 due to the age and risk .

if he accepts the QO I think that could be ok . Like others have said ... maybe 2 year deal is the sweet spot . Plus from my standpoint he just is great for our rotation .

I think he’s a prideful guy . I DO think it bothered him that he got paid for doing nothing . Hopefully his relationship with crane and the team is strong .

verlander
    McCullers
    Framber
    García
    Whoever

bring back verlander and Correa and I don’t see how you aren’t favorites for the next couple of years ....

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Houston general manager James Click said, by all accounts, Verlander “looks like himself.”

“We’ve kept a close eye on him and he’s been great about letting us know when he’s going to be throwing so we can get in there and get an eye on him and see how he’s doing,” Click said Tuesday at the general managers' meetings. “The videos I’ve seen have been awesome. He looks like himself, which is certainly very exciting.”

“(The qualifying offer) is part procedural but also we want to make sure that we don’t just assume that just because he declines a qualifying offer that that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be in Houston,” Click said. “He’s obviously been a big part of this team and organization these last few years. If he declines it, then we’ll continue the conversations.”

Teams in attendance for Verlander’s workout included the Rangers, Yankees, Tigers, Rays and what one scout described as “bigger market clubs.” Eric Cressey, the director and founder of Cressey Sports Performance, is the Yankees’ director of health and performance.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

If the Astros/Crane want him back, Verlander should figure out a way to get a deal done. He got 66M for one start during the last two seasons.

I think him taking the QO is what should happen based on his age. Will it? Remains to be seen.

phasors28 likes this.
  19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I’m ok with a 2 year deal. After all the first year may just be a get back to form guy. Year 2 may be when he is back to his TOR form if he ever gets back there that is.

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

I’m ok with either Verlander taking the qualifying offer or giving him a two year deal in the neighborhood of 18-20 million per season.