1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Mobley-Francis Debates Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spence99, Jan 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. spence99

spence99 Member

At the beginning of the season, many were debating who was better - Mobley or Francis? Many people argued for Mobley saying he was the go to guy at the end of the games. Well, I don't think there is any debate now. Francis clearly showed tonight that he is the Franchise. What a game!!! This man is amazing. Talk about a one man team. Mobley can score points, but Francis carries the whole team on his back. He helps make everyone else better while putting up great numbers himself.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great idea for a new thread. Why don't we drag down another player to give Steve his props. I don't think anyone thought Mobley was a better player than Francis; however, you can make the argument that he has been better down the stretch of games. Steve did it tonight, and hopefully he continues too, but one game doesn't make him Mr. Clutch. You know, it is possible to congratulate one player without criticizing another.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree that this topic has been done and overdone, I didn't see him putting down Cuttino in any way, Cat. He just merely stated that he thought Steve was better. Does saying a player is better than another insult the lesser player?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with this observation by Raven Lunatic.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Here's a debate for you guys. Is Steve Francis better than Kelvin Cato.:rolleyes:

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

that's a hard one. Francis over Cato? .....hmmm. give me a few days to think about that one.

Mobley is great and has great potential to play and score, and is a great go to guy, but Franchise helps to carry the whole team. keeps the tempo up.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with Cat this thread should have never been started as this is a tired old topic. Why cant people just except that we have two all star caliber players starting in our back court and be happy.

If you want to start a thread about how good Steve is then mention that he is a teir 1 superstar on the same level as Kobe, TMac and Iverson. That would surely generate a decent debate and with out negitively involving one of our other superstars in the debate.

I believe we have two all star caliber back court players when they are healthy. Both have the ability to drop 30+ points on the opponent on any given night and both have the ability to take over a game like Steve did last night or like Cat did against the Bucks a few games ago. Or has everyone forgotten the 39 points that Cat dropped on the Bucks?

Steve Francis is the leader of this team. Rudy T has made sure of that and Cat has willingly accepted the role of side kick. Having said that there is no need to constantly bring up threads that proclaim one is better than the other. Personally I feel extreamly lucky to have both.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yessssssssss!!! And Griffin...that's a pretty damn good core to build around!!! I am optimistic!!!! :)

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh yeah, The Cat never belittles a Rocket player to boost up another. :rolleyes:

10. crash5179

You want to belittle Cato, MoT or KT for letting a PG avg more rebounds per game last year then fine.

You want to ride Walts case for not hitting a shot for almost two months last season then fine.

Just don't start cutting down one of our all star caliber players because Steve has a great game, that makes no sense at all. Mobley contributed just as much last week with 3 30+ point games as Steve did tonight and he did it with out the help of another all-star guard in the line up.

At least do a better job of picking your battles because this is one you cant win.
    :rolleyes:

11. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There is no doubt Francis is super special. I must say however I was going crazy on the game chat and watching the game when in the 3Q, Francis kept over dribbling and making real bad decision out of the double team. That was the time when the Pistons came back and actually took the lead.

No arguement with Francis' talent, but I need to have him show more of the nitty gritty of the pg position more. Like I said, one of these days, I would like him to include in his game stuff that would also make him remind me of Jason Kidd and Tinsley. Think about how great he would be then; MVP in waiting.

I want him to continue to improve the way he sets up his teamates. Probably, it is the people he is playing with! Last night he repeatedly put the ball in great position for Cato and Willis and they did not convert enough of them in my opinion.

12. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

The only REAL way to settle this argument is for Cuttino to miss 17 games. Then we comopare records. However since we are not mathmatically eliminated I hope that Rudy is not curious enough to bench The Cat.

13. crash5179

Lets all hope that does not happen.

Just remember that not only was Steve out those 17 games but Cat was playing on two bad ankles and had to play with multiple unexperienced rookies in the line up ever night. The Rockets had a different line up on a nightly bases.

If that scenerio happened now then at least our rookies now have some very real experience and have some significant time playing together and learning Rudy T's system that they did not have when Steve went down.

14. The Cat

The only reason I've ever done it is because everyone else does. I don't want to do it, but I try to prove my points using the same logic that this board is using. I like Steve Francis, Kenny Thomas, and others, but I just try to balance things out when the board seems to get out of hand. Very few posters compliment Steve without saying something toward the effect of "Cuttino needs to back off and make this Steve's team". I like all of our Rockets, but you win as a team, not by one player. I think that the best way to learn is to get a dose of your own medicine, and that's all I'm doing.

15. The Cat

Talk about a one man team.

Many people argued for Mobley saying he was the go to guy at the end of the games. Well, I don't think there is any debate now.

I'd hardly say that's objective. Steve had a great game, but it doesn't make us a one man team. And this is maybe Steve's 2nd time to hit a big shot in the final seconds if the game. (the other Atlanta last year). Cuttino has done it at least ten times, if not many more. I don't see how anyone objective could seriously think that one clutch performance by Steve down the stretch ends all debate over who is the go to guy.

I guess he didn't outright criticize Cuttino, but I think there's a much better way to give praise to Steve than this.

16. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Since we lost all the games that Mobley was out. I would say we at least won one game that Francis was out. Mobley at least has played more games.