1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Any MIS majors here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-TOWNSFINEST, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. teknokid

teknokid Member

Go become a product manager in Bay Area. You will be making 70k right out of college and 140k once you become a sr. You don't need to have comp sci background, you just need to understand how the programming works, and how to work with the engineers. Like someone had mentioned in this thread, the biggest advantage you have is that you will understand both side of the business, without the Indian accent.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I don't know what you guys are talking about. In OK, companies are recruiting MIS majors like crazy. I just took an awesome job with a prominent tech company and I have a lowly MIS degree. Just keep looking, OP. You'll find something good.

3. teknokid

teknokid Member

^
    Because there is no talent in OK. They will hire anyone with some type of tech degree.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

MIS 08 Grad.

I work in O&G.

Not doing too bad. The market is pretty good for MIS kids. I'm in Houston so our market might be better than most.

5. bmthint

bmthint Member

Lol a little harsh. I agree that at least for me coming out of UT, the job market for MIS majors is really good.

6. teknokid

teknokid Member

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

^ the cost of living in SF is a different story

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A 1 bedroom here that might go 1200 here might be over 3k there, but you are making way more money there. The best jobs are out there as well. Do you want be sitting around writing SQL queries so that some manager can show a fancy graph? Given the salaries are so high you will be competing with smart ass people. You will be competing with MIT, Harvard, Caltech, Stanford, cmu grads etc. Even the startups have pretty tough standards.

10. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Haha.. This hits close to home.