1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any cyclists on Clutchfans? I'm riding my bike across America.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

I just looked it up. Damn you can go to war on that thing.

[​IMG]

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That Surly looks to be the right bike. If you can avoid hills as much as possible, a recumbent would be another interesting choice. I have one (and old tank called a BikeE) and they are great for long distances and even downhills, but since you are not over the pedals uphills are a challenge. Here's one:

http://www.rans.com/bicycles/recumbent.html

Some people think the below seat steering designs are best for long distances... here's a web site with all sorts of info on 'bents: http://www.recumbents.com/home/

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

A touring bike is the way to go. Expect to shell out a lot of money for a good bike, spare parts, and panniers. You'll probably also want to upgrade the seat that comes with it. A lot of people consider Brooks saddles to be the best for touring, they're all leather and form to your body but will take about 500 miles of riding to break in. If you plan on camping along the way instead of finding and paying for hotels every night you'll have to spend a decent amount of money on good lightweight camping gear.

A couple of websites that could be helpful: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/transamerica-trail/ - they have various mapped routes and forums. Following their TransAmerica route would be a good idea. If you feel like you have to end in LA then add that no to the end. I would avoid taking the direct route and riding through the desert in June.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ The site is difficult to navigate but there's a lot of info there.

1 person likes this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

Good luck to you!!

5. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

That's awesome man! I bike about 3 to 4 times a week on a specialzed allez. If you need a good deal on a bike my buddy works at west end bicycles in Houston. Maybe he could ship you a bike for a good price. Let me know if you need his info.. also Good Luck

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Good luck OP. Without a reason other than "just because" I likely wouldn't even do this if it was aboard a jet.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well, he says its for charity.

Anyways. Just because is a good enough reason to do it because he won't be able to use that excuse 5-10 years from now when he gets a stable job.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

lived an Austin for a year and because of it i detest cyclists. Get off the damn highway. There is not a more selfish form of exercise than cycling.

#28 tallanvor, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  9. HR Dept

Yeah, I caught the charity part. And I said good luck. There's a lot of ways to give to charity, and this is the way OP is choosing. So that's just because. At any rate, he's a better man the me for it. So again, good luck.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Be careful. Everytime I hear about somebody doing this, they end up dead or something. There was that father that decided to walk across America to gain publicity against bullying after his gay son killed himself after being bullied. The dad was hit by a truck and killed while doing his walk.

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

lol..

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what about masturbating?

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can ride with you on the back? We can take turns peddaling.

14. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

You got both nuts? JK.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

LOL. :grin: thread reference?

[​IMG]

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Please Go Pro any sweet jumps.

17. HR Dept

If you post pics/vids this has potential to be the best CF.net thread of all time. Epic status.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

man, riding across the country with no training? i'm all for overcoming challenges and charity but there's something to be said for preparation. good luck.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Seriously, you can die. I don't think you've thought this over completely. There are factors you have to deal with that you have no control over.

Also, how are you finding the time? Must be nice to be able to take a few months off to bike the country.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

bolded for truth.