1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any CPAs here? Question regarding business expense

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I give a personal loan to "Medicine N Music, PLLC" for $50k, and then turn around to purchase 2% of a company for $50k that I will work at (will receive1099 for time and K-1 for distributions), does the $50k count as an expense for "Medicine N Music, PLLC"?

If not, when I return the loan from the PLLC to my personal account, is this event taxable?

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well, I am a financial accountant, but not a tax accountant, so this could be wrong. (Disclaimer)

Are you, the person, buying the 2%, or is the PLLC buying the 2%?

Either way, buying companies is an equity transaction, not an expense.

sammy and Xerobull like this.
  3. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Sorry, the PLLC is buying the 2%.

I work another job where 1099 income is coming straight to me instead of the PLLC. Since this isn't an expense on the loan, it almost makes sense for me to have the 1099 job pay the PLLC instead, and use the money from the PLLC to pay the 2%. This way, I don't get taxed on the money that I will use anyway for the equity transaction. Does this sound reasonable?

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Is MnM paying you 1099 now? Will they stop once the theoretical transaction occurs?

Medicine N Music likes this.
  5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'm trying to understand, I'm seeing that there are two transactions here: (1) a $50k loan, and (2) a $50k contribution for ownership stake in the LLC.

(1) For the LLC, the $50k loan is recorded on the balance sheet as note payable, and any interest will be recorded as an expense allowable for deduction to taxable income. Your Federal Schedule K-1 would reflect the taxable income that you are due, based upon your profit / loss % share (which could be different from your % ownership) and that would be where the interest expense would be reflected for your share. There will need to be a note showing the terms of the loan, including date of loan initiation/maturity, the parties of the loan (payee/payor), interest terms, etc.

(2) the $50k contribution for ownership is not tax deductible. This is your stake in the ownership in the entity

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is correct. It's not an expense, it will go on the balance sheet and only expense would be on interest (you'd actually want to do interest, because if you don't it could be considered a capital contribution to MnM).

When the loan is paid back (either through payments and/or lump sum), it is not a taxable event.

I'm trying to understand why you want to setup the PLLC in the first place. Any income going into the PLLC will flow through to your 1040 anyway correct (through schedule K)? Why not just give the money directly to the company and be done? You're not really getting any tax break. Interest expense on the PLLC will be offset by interest income to yourself.

TMac'n and Medicine N Music like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm an Internet CPA and that's sketchy AF.

8. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I may be incorrectly understanding of certain concepts - thank you for the explanation. Would there be a small/minimal form of liability protection if I paid through my own PLLC? I have heard that it may not matter if the company already is an LLC/Corp and have their own liability protection.

Also, if you do everything through a PLLC, you can elect to do taxes as an S corp, and save half payroll tax correct?

#8 Medicine N Music, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I think I may have messed up here, even though I spoke to a CPA last year. It is a single member PLLC. The CPA said you don't have to elect payment with 1099 or W-2. Since it's a single member LLC, you just take "withdrawals", since it flows though your 1040. Maybe I'm doing something incorrect here...

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If you elect to do as an S Corp/essentially tax it as a sole proprietor, then yeah you're not taking salary and paying payroll taxes, just taking distributions. It just doesn't seem like there is a reason to.

If the company already has protections in it in the form of being a corporation/LLC, doesnt make a ton of sense to me to "double protect". You'd be paying to set all this up, and then not really get a ton of benefit from it. If the person suing the company can get through their LLC, what makes you think they won't go through your personal LLC that's only owned by one person and setup specifically to funnel funds through to you?

11. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Okay you have convinced me - I will just pay for the company from my personal account.

Regarding the MnM, PLLC - does it still make sense for me to have all of my 1099 income (physician) from 2-3 sites, as well as distributions (K-1) from the new company go to MnM, PLLC for tax purposes? I would essentially have this PLLC to count expenses such as licenses, business travel/lodging, scrubs/shoes, etc. If it make sense, I will either do pass through sole proprietor or s corp.

Anyway, thank you for the help so far. I really need to take you (and everyone else that commented) for some drinks/food! I'll be in Hou this weekend and not even joking (had both covid vaccines)

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]