1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any 2005+ Mustang Owners/car experts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Oct 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Hi I just recently purchased a 2009 black mustang V6 fully loaded. I had a couple of questions for those who know stuff about mustangs, dual exhausts, and mufflers. I'm thinking about changing the rear bumper on my mustang to the GT look and buying a dual exhaust conversion kit. I know CaseyH and Falcons Talons have GT's but I don't know how mustang suavy they really are.

The reason for doing so is because I got into a fender bender with my friend and his parents gave me a check for 650. The bumper only has paint damage and a few scratches, all of the damage is on the left corner rear bumper. I figured with this check instead of getting the same bumper again. I might as well upgrade to the GT dual exhaust look and also get a more powerful sound by getting aftermarket mufflers.

I found a painted rear gt bumper for 300 and a dual exhaust y pipe conversion kit for 280, with tax and shipping thats about 630 total. labor and installation will be about 100 dollars max for the bumper and dual exhaust because my friend works at a body shop so hes giving me a heavy discount. he also gave me 2 gt stock mufflers for free but i heard it wont add much of a difference as far as sound goes on my mustang. he said the reason the gt's sound so good is because of their engine not the mufflers. so im looking at about 730 dollars to make my car look like a GT.

Basically what i need to know is should i keep the stock gt mufflers on a v6?
    what kind of dual exhaust kit should i get? y, h, or x?
    and what are some good mufflers for a mustang?

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

FYI: I'm not terribly familiar with V6 Mustangs (I have an older 5.0 myself).

I'm assuming you know that your car will never sound like a GT because of the difference in displacement: V8's sound good because they're bigger motors that'll give you a deeper rumble.

That said and all crap-talking aside about why you didn't get a "real" Mustang, there are plenty of options available for V6's.

Most cross-over pipes these days are X-pipes, and you'll get a bit more power with true dual exhaust than you will with a Y. Y-pipes are purely aesthetic and don't do a thing for power or sound.

You also need to know what you'll have to do about headers. Headers come off the engine block and into the very pipes you're talking about. What you've probably got is a single exhaust manifold going into your one exhaust pipe. You'd have to swap that out and install headers for true dual exhaust. That can add a couple hundred bucks or more easily.

I also wouldn't install V8 mufflers on a V6. Aftermarket mufflers can get pricey, but I guess you know that. Good brands: Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Corsa, etc. Don't know much about whether they make these for V6's though. Don't see why not, though.

I'd Google something like "V6 Mustang exhaust" and see what you get. Also, find a Mustang forum. There are a million of them and a lot of them have sub-forums for V6's.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I've done some extensive Mustang build projects, from full exhaust swaps, to installing a twin screw supercharger to completelt building a 362 windsor roller block to transplant into my old 92 GT.

That being said, I have 0 experience with v-6 Stangs.

As far as the exhaust, I would go with an x pipe, but you won't really get a v-8 sound without a v-8 engine.

+1 on finding a mustang forums that specializes in v-6's.

Try http://www.modularfords.com/forums/

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

You may not even like the sound of a v6. Some say it sounds like a pissed off bumble bee. Try to find a car with a similar setup to what you want, and have a listen.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

IF you want the GT look then go for it. The stock ones look great.

Nothing is gonna add that much performance that you will notice so just go for looks.

I doubt you can run a H or X pipe because the V6 probably goes to one pipe once it exits the manifolds.

My personal opinion would be to get it fixed back to stock. The V6 mustangs look good.

6. xcharged

xcharged Member

I have to second this one...

Awhile back i opted for an off-road exhaust on my 5.0...sounded great but every day i smelled like gasoline. not a good trade off.
    ended up pulling that off (also had trouble getting my inspection sticker) and going with the stock H-Pipe and some Magnaflow's.

7. ranlights78

ranlights78 Contributing Member

08 GT here and I just added axel back Flows. For the price and sound you cant beat it.

Also for forums:

www.corral.net

www.mustangworld.com

And search youtube for exhaust clips, TONS of them there.

8. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

i havent changed anything as of yet so everything is still stock.

and to the person who said it sounds like a pissed off bumble bee... is that with older mustangs or do you have experience with the S197 mustang(2005+ model).

thanks for everyones input. any others?