1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANTS!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seem to be having a problem lately in my house with ants. They're coming in from a few different places. What's the best, safe for pets and kids, treatment to get rid of them? My father-in-law tried to sell me on laundry soap but that seems far fetched.

Any help would be appreciated...

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What kind of ants?

(black "sugar" ants - bait that they can carry to the nest)

#2 Xerobull, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. leroy

They seem to be the type that's mentioned in REEKO's link...Raspberry Ants. A single treatment from a pest control company could be about $200 and likely wouldn't last that long.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was having problems but some Raid ant bait did the trick. It actually took a while to work, maybe I was using too few traps, but they eventually disappeared once I put out a few more.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We've had them all year long at work and have pest control come in once a month. Nothing has worked and they are still everywhere.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Borax is what they use in some commercial ant bait so its not a wives tale.

8. Xerobull

Ok....I tried borax for a month. Guy came out and put bait in, ants were gone within a week. Could be that I did the job ahead of him and he took the credit. He also said that borax was BS....maybe he was BS?

Anyway, if I was off here based on my experience, my bad.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ6rFKhyn0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ6rFKhyn0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I remember watching "Leningen [sp?] vs. The Ants." Is your name Leningen? :confused:

12. icrnk

icrnk Member

Diatomaceous Earth

Pest controlDiatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[12] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations, but this method may take weeks to work.[13]

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1394296&CAWELAID=188273783

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

14. icrnk

icrnk Member

Is this from the same factory that makes Drywall?

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Clean up any crumbs, find where they are coming from, Raid the area. Do it for 2-3 days straight and they should relocate, from my experience.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

spray the cracks around your house with raid or black flag and then take heed to spray around your ac unit because they're attracted to that to and can damage it. Also spray where they are coming in if you can figure that out. Another trick is to clean your floors and counters, or dirty areas where they are searching for food left behind. Good luck.

17. leroy

The house was cleaned just the other day and they're not entering in areas where there is food (master bathroom, living room). Though, the a/c is next to the master bathroom. I'll be spraying that area tonight....

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

there has to be a line of ants at some point...when they start to build up just look for it and follow it...cover up the hole/crack, spray raid on it, etc..

19. Xerobull

You, ah....eat in the master bathroom?

20. leroy

I think I said they're not entering areas where there is food.