1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Daniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For many years I have long been a proponent of acquiring Daniels and each time rumors crop up I get stoked.

Since being taken 3rd or 4th Daniels has been an enigma.The guy is a specimen who can D up,handle the ball,and get to the hole.I'll admit his J is average(streaky),but his turnover ratio is usually pretty good considering he's a hybrid 1/2.I want to see some size and athleticism at the 1.
    He would be a nice bridge to VSpan and would be a very nice complimentary player once KB gets up to speed.

......and he has a lot of Mad Max in him.

What are the chances of shipping off Rafer and the TE among other things(perhaps a 1 or JH,etc.) in a deal for AD and a defensive/rebounder at the 4?I'm not sure if Washington would deal him as they are in the thick of it in the East.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

basically you'd love AD and etan thomas. i'd be all for that as well. the rockets are the best defensive team, and adding 2 really good defenders would make us awesome.

the problem is, as you said, washington is playing really well and would not move two of thier best for juwon and rafer and maybe a pick.

i'm not sure where to find a PG who can shoot the ball but that should be on the top of the list in CD's office.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is no reason for the Wizards to make this trade.

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Without Etan and Antonio, the Wizards ill endup being the Worst defensive team in the league. noone else besides those 2 plays any kind of defense whatsoever. the Wizards would laugh at that offer.

5. Plowman

Supporting Member

My offer was open ended.....
    It would START with Rafer,the TE,and a 1.
    We have JH,Wells,and Head(wouldn't really want to deal him in this deal)

But if you fockassed on just Daniels,what would it take?

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

They'll at the very least want head along with BONZI. i'm not so open to the idea of trading luther. Luther will play an instrumental part in our quest to win a few rings in the future. he'll be our kenny smith off the bench. provide quick scoring where were in an offensive funk.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Have you gone crazy??????????? The problem is our team needs 'Playmaking'
    from the Point Guard and Daniels would not be an improvement over Alston.
    Both should be playing back up guard.

8. Plowman

Supporting Member

I don't think Luther's going anywhere either.

The guy's going to most likely gonna shoot 41 - 45 % for his career on 3's.

Yes,he's undersized,but has good athleticism at the 2 and is becoming a better player as we speak.Head's a smart player that knows how to adjust his game(just like at Illinois)for what's best for the team.
    A true pro.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i just don't think we have enough to trade for high quality role players. unless we give up luther or hayes which is obviously not going to happen.

we are better off using our MLE and LLE wisely next summer.

one of our yong guards (luther, lucas, billy) should step up enough to be a full time backup PG next season. so any move for a PG this season would be for just that.

10. Plowman

Supporting Member

I don't know.Our offense goes thorugh Tracy and Yao so the needs from our PG are different than on most teams.Tracy will handle the ball much of the time on the exterior with the ball going inside to the post often.Bringing the ball up some and feeding the post aren't very demanding duties.Besides,Daniels can create too.
    True,we need a PG that can shoot and play D.And I'll admit that Antonio is an average shooter from outside,but he finishes those middle shots and flushes at the rim.Daniels plays some of the best defense in the League as his size and athleticism allows him to matchup with many.
    IMO,Antonio is a nice step up from Rafer.....and in the right direction for the team.

#10 Plowman, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I liked Daniels about 2 years ago. He looks like he has lost a step to me. And he isn't a very good outside shooter at the 3pt line. But a better defender, and finisher in the lane than Alston.

Daniels contract looks a little long though.
    $5,400,000, $5,800,000, $6,200,000, $6,600,000

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

There would be a riot in DC if Juwan returned there.

13. dram1

dram1 Member

If he could only learn to be more of a true point, ie looking for his teammates on an instinctive basis and not the pick-up-your-dribble-look-around-pass style. He has obvious scoring ability (although a mid-range game would be nice) but he just doesn't handle the ball as well as Rafer.
    We need a fusion of the two. Call him Skip on myHead.

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree 100 % ... daniels would be nice as a Rocket! :D

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Daniels would be a solid backup point. But as others have said, we need someone that can shoot a high %age consistently from the outside.. and generally be consistent. AD would cause the opposite problem of Rafer. They would NOT close out on him and force him to shoot the J... (close out on others)...which would result in the same inconsistent play. Better defense, but at the cost of whatever we give up in the trade.

Along with all that, I don't see much we could give to the Wiz. Bonzi for AD? But we'd have to throw someone in. Bonzi + Sura. I don't see why they do it..

And yeah, no one here in DC would ever want Juwan back. They boo him still 7ish (guessing on the #) years after the fact.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What we need is a Kenny Smith type of player.......

Luther Head with better handles.

DD

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

luther can allways work on his handles next summer. that doesn't exactly help right now, but i'm pretty sure that he and JVG both know that his best chance of getting more minutes is at the 1.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

First problem is you cannot combine the TE with a player. For example, we can't package Rafer + the TE for Daniels. This issue has been brought up a zillion times.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Please tell me some of you are joking about giving up our #1 for a player like Daniels. :eek:

20. holyman2k

holyman2k Member

how about Anthony Johnson, he's a surplus in Dallas, got hot shooting, don't know much about his D. He's gonna do some damage taking over 1 spot, rafer's taking like 14-17 shots only make like 30 something % of them