1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Bryant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Sep 18, 2007.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2003

Rotoworld suggests that the Texans could have interest in Bryant who was released by the 49ers. He was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell today and will hook up with a team shortly. He is long on promise but has had his fair share of problems on and off the field. I remember that he nearly came to blows with Bill Parcells when he was with the Cowboys. It sounds like he may be a hot-head, but he does have quite a bit of talent and is only 26 years old.

Any takers?

2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Texans are not like the Cowgirls, they don't sign losers.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Texans are a classy organization. They won't sign him, like the Cowgirls are looking at Tank.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

2 year deal with the Girls.

McNair > Jones

5. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Jones - 3 Super Bowl rings
    McNair - Zero, None, Nada, Zilch

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Jones' last 6 years - Zero, None, Nada, Zilch (playoff wins)

Jones' last 10+ years - Zero, None, Nada, Zilch (ring)

#6 Uprising, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

How can you compare mcnair owning the texans for five years to how ever many years jones has owned the cowgirls? Also our owner hasnt had like 70 plastic surgeries. Thats just scary.

8. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

A friend of mine works front desk at the Hotel Derek and said Bryant checked in 2 days ago.....said he was kind of an ass too. I really hope we stay clear of this loser.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He may be a jerk but he looks like a solid player. Over 1,000 yards in 2005 with Cleveland.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'll take him and hope a good atmosphere can inject decency into him (like with Carl Everett and the Astros)!

On another note, the fact that they're even looking at him might suggest that either Andre is looking more towards the 4 week end than the 1 week end.. OR that they're not quite as high on Jacoby after the first 2 weeks as they were in the preseason

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with the production, or lack thereof, of our #2 receivers.

My guess is Andre plays this weekend.

12. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

OK then, how many rings did Jerry win in his first five years? I'll give you a hint...more than one, less than three.

I can't argue with you on the plastic surgery, though. :eek:

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

guy just looks like a-hole'ing waiting to happen
    [​IMG]

lets go ahead and sign Bobby Brown Jr

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's got superstar talent with a bad attitude. He won the Biletnikoff Award as a sophomore in college. Nice mix of speed, hands and size. Decent long ball threat. Basically a really, really poor man's TO.

15. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I really thought the Texans should've picked Bryant instead of Gaffney back in the second round of the 2002 draft. The knock on Bryant has always been his bad attitude which leads to less than 100% effort. He definitely has the talent to succeed. IMO I doubt the Texans take a chance on him.

16. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

at least the cowboys threw in a few winning seasons. Something the Texans have never had.

17. Nero

Nero Member

Good God just say NO to antonio bryant!!!

You would be bringing in a piece of crap here who believes he should be the #1 option instead of Johnson, and would start fights and bitterly complain whenever Schaub threw AJ the ball instead of him.

It would be a clear case of subtraction by addition.

And as for Jones signing Tank Johnson, well, just keep in mind that he is not guaranteed a penny, he is on a league-minimum base salary, which means he is on a week-to-week paycheck (and a very low one at that). Their starting NT is out for the year, so they had to do SOMETHING. Tank is obviously a good player, but has not made very good decisions in his life. If he continues to make those bad decisions, then Jones cuts him loose, very little lost.

It's a low-risk/potentially very high reward scenario. As a Cowboys fan, I understand the fact that this is a sound business decision, and if it doesn't work out, the team will still be good, and he will still be a billionaire, so no harm done.

But if it does work out, and Tank gets his head screwed on straight, and plays up to his potential, stays away from the gangs and the scum he was around before, then it becomes a genius move.

Besides, Tank knows that if he screws up again, 'Old Iron Fist' Goodell will probably suspend him for a year like he did with Pac and Vick, so he has every incentive to stop getting in trouble.

Even if the guy only stays around for a half-season, and holds down the fort until they get Ferguson back next year and can use one of their 2 #1's next year on a 1st-rounder NT, that would be ok too.

Speaking personally, I will not be a bit surprised if the guy gets arrested again in 3 weeks or something, gets suspended for longer, and Jones cuts him loose, never having spent a penny on him. I am not overly optimistic. But there's no harm in at least taking a look. Who knows? Maybe he will surprise everybody.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not until this year. At least the Texans have never lost to an expansion team playing the first game in it's history. *snicker*

Anyway, I don't understand these guys that are so talented athletically, yet just jackasses personally. I mean, being a great athlete should be the hard part and being a good person should be the easy part, right? How do these guys get that backwards?

I guess because they know some teams like the cowboys will sign them no matter what...

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I really like this guy on the field. Complete package as a reciever - good size, decent speed, good hands, strong build.

His habit of going off the deep end whenever he doesn't get stats is very bothersome, and his stint in rehab for alcohol is pretty worrisome.

I'd at least bring him in and maybe tender an incentive heavy, small bonus offer if he agrees that any mouthing will mean an immediate cut.

If he played along, he'd be a dangerous second threat opposite Andre.

Evan

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It isn't exactly like Jones built that team from scratch either. When McNair bought the Texans, they didn't have a roster, name, coaches, or a stadium.

Apples to oranges.