1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antoine Walker Broke..

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by y2Joem, Oct 28, 2009.

1. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

lock if posted...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...r-Antoine-Walker-is-broke-and-?urn=nba,198509
    Former Celtics star Antoine Walker is broke and in debt

By J.E. Skeets

In 12 years, Antoine Walker(notes) made more than $110 million playing professional basketball moderately well. Take away taxes, throw in some adidas endorsement money and a "NBA Live 99" cover, and he's left with, what, $60-to-65 million?

Whatever the details, it was a big chunk of change, which, amazingly, wasn't enough.

That's right, during the last several months, the once multi-millionaire athlete has been pursued by multiple financial institutions for unpaid debts.

In fact, according to The Boston Globe, "Employee No. 8" owes more than $4 million to his creditors and is facing felony check fraud charges in Las Vegas. All of this at the age of 33. Wild.

Now I know what you're thinking: How in the world does somebody — not named Montgomery Brewster — even begin to blow through that amount of money?

The answer: fairly easily.

"[Walker] liked to move in an outsized entourage; his mother estimates that, during his playing days, he was supporting 70 friends and family members in one way or another. And speaking of his mother, he built her a mansion in the Chicago suburbs, complete with an indoor pool, 10 bathrooms, and a full-size basketball court. [...]

Living at the Bishops Forest condominium complex in Waltham during the Celtics season, Walker turned the pavement surrounding his home into a virtual luxury car lot — two Bentleys, two Mercedes, a Range Rover, a Cadillac Escalade, a bright red Hummer. Often, the vehicles were tricked out with custom paint jobs, rims, and sound systems at considerable added expense. He also collected top-line watches — Rolexes and diamond-encrusted Cartiers."

Condos, luxury cars, watches ... I guess that'll eventually force you into bankruptcy. Especially when you're not investing any money or collecting $200 with every fifth or sixth roll of the die.

But Walker's lavish lifestyle wasn't all "me-me-me." He was also a generous friend and teammate who had custom suits made for coaches, routinely picked up giant team dinner tabs and, when there were funds to spare, gave to underprivileged youngsters. He was basically spending money like it was going out of style.

And it did.

I guess Biggie was right after all: mo' money, mo' problems.

Cheers, CelticsBlog.

wow...

2. Steve_Francis_rules

All I have to say is, what an idiot.

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

Yeah, those Madoff investors sure made out...oh wait.

4. Dei

Dei Member

I had this reaction:

[​IMG]

5. da1

da1 Member

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i lost the link, but there's a good 4 page article with a lot more details on this. might have been nytimes or nypost..

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

id rather have plenty of enemies than friends if i was that rich!!!! why even have that many leeches in your circle if you make that much money!!!!!!!

8. roksoer

roksoer Member

well, props for supporting his friends and family but still a very r****ded way to **** up your life

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Maybe he can be on Dancing with the Stars? :D

10. HPD

HPD Member

33 yrs old??? he fell off real quik.. could not even keep his skillz up 2 sign on to a team as a bench supporter... LOL !!!!

11. aghast

aghast Member

From the other thread, you might be talking about the Boston Globe article on his financial mistakes:

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's time for him to join a Euroleague team or do reality tv such as "Dancing with the Stars" or "Surreal Life".

If he wants to make a six-figure salary, he has to try and get back into the limelight. Sure, he was stupid, but I still feel sorry for him.

13. 3rdRingsAComin

He should have never made that much money, not that great a player. I often thought he was one of the least athletic players in the league

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Is that age accurate? 33? If Juwan Howard can make the active roster for a team as talented as the Blazers and actually get minutes (he was on the floor during the second quarter tonight against the Nuggets), why couldn't he get his ass in gear and give it another run? He could probably start for the bobcats.

15. aghast

aghast Member

He was a beast when he was young, though, especially in the post.

When he signed a huge contract, he got fat and lazy (and perimeter shooter / three-pointer happy) real quick.

16. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Ummm okay, do this athletes not have common sense? A fourth grade student could take better care of their money then some of these idiots these days. I mean come on you are making millions of dollars and you can't secure or plan ahead for the future? "Hey I'm going to be cool and waste a million dollars on a watch, that I'll probably wear twice." Back minded fools.

17. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Ummm okay, do these athletes not have common sense? A fourth grade student could take better care of their money then some of these idiots these days. I mean come on you are making millions of dollars and you can't secure or plan ahead for the future? "Hey I'm going to be cool and waste a million dollars on a watch, that I'll probably wear twice." Back minded fools.