1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antibiotics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Dec 9, 2010.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

Any doctors here? I think I may have misused some Norfloxacin. Just wondering if it's a big deal or not. I had some diarrhea a couple of days ago which I thought was due to bacterial infection. So I took some Norfloxacin. Fever has gone down but still having some diarrhea. :(

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Go to CVS or Walgreens and tell them this.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

PS. You should get some probiotics or maybe eat some yogurt.. should help with the diarrhea.

4. yuantian

yeah, i am doing that tomorrow first thing. couldn't be more stupid earlier. :( should have read more about it.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man, you gotta be careful with antibiotics. Were you prescribed them for this condition? Did you take the full course? If the answer is "no" to either of those, then yes, you misused it. Taking just "some" of any antibiotic can make you susceptible to super infections. <-- This is worst-case scenario....you're probably fine, but antibiotics aren't something you just "take" like when you pop a few Tylenol for a headache.

Speaking of Tylenol, it's an antipyretic, which means it lowers fever. Try that next time you're running a fever.

Have the bottle handy and call your pharmacy tomorrow to be sure. If you're still up, call a 24-hour pharmacy now. Odds are you're fine, but for future warning: don't play around with antibiotics.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you should not automedicate, it could be dangerous, just an advice.

you can go to the doctor, and say you have this medicine,and ask him if you can take it.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I had a marathon of runs, the doctor prescribed extra strength immodium.

These bugs can last for weeks.

8. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

9. yuantian

i was probably up once every hour or so all night. i did call 24 hour nurse phone line (not the naughty kind). she said i should stop taking those antibiotics and eat something like yogurt and crackers etc. but i am probably still going to see urgent care if it doesn't stop sometimes early today. took some Pepto to see how it goes.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Be sure to drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol, and any other dietary supplements which may utilize liver enzymes.

11. yuantian

yeah, i have been drinking plenty of fluid. at this point, i think the original bug is probably gone. it's the antibiotics that's making me going to the bathroom nonstop.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Also, do not take this medication with food. Only in between meals. Do not treat diarrhea with OTC products. Just drink plenty of fluids and an electrolyte replacer (Gatorade?). Contact your doc if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days, or if the diarrhea is too watery.

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Two schools of thought on things like Immodium:
    -1- It stops the diarrhea, thus bringing comfort
    -2- It's better to let it run it's course, i.e. it's better to crap out what's making you crap in the first place.

Also, you need more than water for severe diarrhea. You need sodium and potassium, so supplement with juice or Gatorade.

Not knowing the rest of your symptoms, what brought it on, or what else is going on with you means you should probably call your doctor or go to a minor emergency clinic.

14. yuantian

yeah, i will go check with a doctor if it continues later today. took Pepto and it's been good for a long time. drinking Gatorade and eating crackers. we'll see how it goes. thanks guys.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Use the pill bottle as a cork.