1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-war protesters taunt wounded soldiers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 26, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The story isn't made up, but the slant of the story and the headline of this thread certainly are.

It's like saying that a protest in front of a grocery store that is a protest against high grocery prices is a protest against each and every person who works in the store.

That's ludicrous, as is pretty much everything you post.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

awesome, so the problem isn't w/ the protest, but rather with the reporting of it! you're stifling dissent!

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article you posted is fine with me. The headline you used is dishonest.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Headline is fine.

This protest, as described in the article, is distasteful and inappropriate.

I can be very much against the war and still see that.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The headline is fine except that nobody is taunting the soldiers. That makes the headline inaccurate. Whether or not the protest is in a tasteless place, the best place in the world or anywhere in between doesn't mean they are taunting the wounded.

There is zero in the article that shows anybody taunting any wounded soldiers.

Unless you mean the headline of the actual article. That headline is fine. BAsso's created title of the thread is dishonest.

I can be against the protest in front of the hospital and still not agree with a dishonest thread title.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I read the thread title with my basso-filter on...so maybe it didn't offend me quite so much :).

"taunt" is perhaps too strong....but i can see it being hurtful and offensive to injured soldiers and their families to have 'sign up and die' signs and mock coffins outside your hospital. Even if you state that you're really against what they were sent to do, rather than against them personally.

Not the place. And if it goes on weekly...then it's seriously bad form.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

One advocates murder of human beings while the other advocates holding signs on a public street. Yea, that sounds about the same to me. :rolleyes:

8. RocketMan Tex

Comprehension 101 class paging basso!

But, on the good side, you have obviously been passing the Thread Distortion 101 class taught by Professor Conquistador!

:D

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Regardless of:

-your personal feelings on the war
    -your personal feelings on Bush
    -the title of the thread
    -the source the article came from
    -the fact that the thread starter supports the war

can you guys at least acknowledge that protesting outside an Army Medical Center is at the very least in bad taste?

Like bnb says, it's not the place.

10. RocketMan Tex

I agree. The protest should be moved to the Pentagon.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I already have posted that. I will say that it could be the place if they handled it slightly differently. If they worked with the wounded to help bring attention to the many wounded and maimed in a war that they don't see as just to bring attention to them it would be the appropriate place to protest.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm fine with that.

OK, as long as they would leave if the wounded soldiers didn't want them around.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

There is absolutely zero evidence in that article that a single soldier has been "taunted." Just so we can be clear...

taunt
    1. To reproach in a mocking, insulting, or contemptuous manner.

The only ones being reproached by these protestors are the administration, not the soldiers.

I agree that this is in bad taste, but to accuse these people of "taunting" soldiers shows exactly how blindly partisan you are, basso. These people believe that their protest is in support of the soldiers and against the policy that sent those soldiers to Walter Reed in the first place.

But we all know that you can't separate criticism of the policy from criticism of the troops. That is the consequence of wearing GOP colored glasses.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

How about because they don't believe that these people deserve exposure because their protest is in bad taste. See, even the evil liberal MSM doesn't promote every single protest that exists, not even in their own backyard.

Sheehan is a mother who lost a son and wants to ask Bush a question. These people are engaged in a protest that is definitely in bad taste and would not have been given any coverage at all had a conservative media organization not felt it necessary to create outrage.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think it's in poor taste to protest outside the hospital.

I also think the thread title is one of basso's favorite lies. He wants sooooo badly for the anti-war crowd to taunt the troops he'll make it up if he has to. This isn't Vietnam. The anti-war movement learned its lesson from that war. They were wrong to put any blame whatever on the troops that fought there. What they did there wasn't their decision and it wasn't their fault. They needed our support, not our disdain. The movement that opposes the war in Iraq is entirely different than the one that opposed Vietnam. We do not fault the soldiers -- their health, welfare and safe return are among our chief concerns and we honor their service to our country. We fault the ones that put them there.

I'd tell basso (one more time) to stop lying, but he just doesn't know how.

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

typical post, shoot the messenger, (virtually) ignore the message.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Every time a liberal rushes to trumpet news of troops dying, the insurgency gaining ground, alleged human rights abuses, the effort hitting a bump in the road, or any other negative action in the War on Terror, then it is taunting troops. Standing outside a military hospital and openly mocking troops is in a similar vain, and possibly worse. Whatever happened to supporting one's own country during a war? Do you think the mothers and fathers of the troops want to listen to the liberals rejoicing over another opportunity to report bad news? Uh, no. Bad news will be reported, but how about reporting good news every now and then. Only focusing on the negative hurts support for the war, hurts troops' morale and serves as recruiting propaganda for terrorists. This is what the liberals are doing to America -- a strategy pioneered by John Kerry and Jane Fonda during Vietnam. They are the best friends of the people that the brave Americans are fighting abroad because they are doing their propaganda work for the terrorists...

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Perhaps they are not deliberately taunting the injured soldiers...but I can see this protest having that effect. Especially to a soldier, or family member who supports the war, or is struggling with all sorts of other issues.

I can't imagine a scenario where an outside group, setting up a protest in front of injured soldiers would be appropriate.

The anti-war movement does not hinge on these guys! Call them out! They're wrong.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Considering how people have been talking about the article and how it lacks anything similar to what the thread title says, plus people saying they disagree with holding a protest outside of a hospital, that all looks like people are doing everything but ignoring the "message."

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wnes supports our troops.

Wnes would never taunt any human being that's physically suffering, let alone a wounded U.S. soldier .

Wnes disdains those who send our troops to fight an unjustified war for their own political gains while amassing material wealth.