1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti Redskins ad will air tonight during NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 10, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Being a southerner im offended by the Yankees!

2. dback816

dback816 Member

Would Harlem Darkskins offend you?

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If they played for the Redskins.

1 person likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Do american indians actually feel offended by the term, that's all it matters right

5. HPD

HPD Member

Dont change the name.....if they do change the yankees name...im from ny and never liked it when southerns called me it....a yankee

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Change the name Texans. Usually when people think of "Texans" they think I wear a 10 gallon hat, and ride a horse, that offends me. :mad:

7. Remii

Remii Member

You know it may be possible that some white and black people don't think of it as offensive because we often refer to each other and or describe each other as white and black (without the skin on the end)...

But from what I've read (and I haven't read much) _ the natives came up with red skin. White folks didn't tell people to start calling them cracker (and pale face). But if natives now feel it's derogatory than it is for whatever reason than it is...

I wonder if they will want to change the name of Oklahoma since it means Red People.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I still like the Washington Bullets -- cool name. Political correctness is just so boring. It is like removing the seasoning from food; it is still food but not as much fun. No place for racial slurs, but neat logos and team names are part of sports. I think the Redskin jerseys and helmets are some of the best looking in the league.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Blackhawks have the best logo/jersey in the biz.

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I still have my Bullets, Chris Webber jersey from High School.

11. likestohypeguy

So long as even one person remains offended by something, anything, it's our responsibility as a society to change it, and keep changing it until everyone is happy.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Do you really believe that's what most people are trying to argue for? Maybe there are some fools that are out there arguing that, but I don't think it's the majority of people on the name change side. If it is the case, then you are correct that it would be silly.

Free decade old book about both sides of the debate:
    http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...Mg0c6r97nEw#v=onepage&q=redskin scalp&f=false

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Only people that have a right to be offended, and even though i don't find it offensive at all, are native americans. if you are not a native, you are being fake mad. i never really considered "red skin" to be a racial slur. maybe it because i didn't grow up around any natives. but i never thought any thing bad when i hear "washington redskins". mainly because i never really head the term "redskin" outside of a football setting.

The commercial insinuates that people call native americans, redskins. Has anyone here used that term against a native in a negative connotation?

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's definitely a language war going on. This is a unique situation. For some period of time people used it in a derogatory manner. For some period of time people used it in reverence. We'll see what happens in the end, but I don't think Snyder will ever change the name.

15. dback816

dback816 Member

You walk to your black friends and call them Blackskins?

16. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I bet somehow and someway there is a rap song with that lyric in there.

17. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

This logic is just so dumb I wish people would stop using it. It is not an intelligent argument.

No, I am not going to walk up to a black person and call them "Blackskins", and no, I am not going to walk up to a white person and call them "Whiteskins", and no, I am not going to walk up to a red person and call them "Redskins." That's just stupid. I would call them Bob or Tom or Dick or Harry, not whatever color their skin is. If I see a woman with brown hair, am I going to call her "Brunettehair?" If I see a person with extra large feet, am I going to call him "Extra Large Feet?" Hint: the answer is a two letter word that begins with "N" and ends with "o".

Now, I believe what you're trying to bring across is your point that the name is racist and thus I wouldn't dare say it to their face, but this is a terrible argument.

18. Major

Major Member

This will be interesting.

http://thinkprogress.org/default/20...cancels-trademark-for-redskins-football-team/

In Landmark Decision, U.S. Patent Office Cancels Trademark For Redskins Football Team

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled six federal trademark registrations for the name of the Washington Redskins, ruling that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and thus cannot be trademarked under federal law that prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It will be tied up in appeals forever, but that's a watershed moment for the change-the-name movement regardless.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

On what grounds? Its a slur.