1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti Redskins ad will air tonight during NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 10, 2014.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Settle down George Jefferson, this is the 21st century.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I like the sound of the Indiana Indians... then they can move the Colts to Washington D.C.. I also like the way the Houston Jews rolls off my tongue.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You really think the NFL would allow such an ad?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Except they do call themselves Indians, Blackhawks is a tribute to a military unit that was named after a famous Indian warrior and Braves was a real name used to describe Indian warriors.

None of those names are offensive, just like Chiefs isn't an offensive name, Seminoles isn't offensive, etc.

The issue with Redskins is that many feel it is a racial slur.

Let's translate this to white people.

Atlanta Soldiers=Not offensive
    Kansas City Presidents=Not offensive
    Chicago MacArthurs=Not offensive
    Washington Crackers=offensive

1 person likes this.
  5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I apologize, sarcasm is very hard to convey through the Internet. My OP was in response to Mr. Clutch's plea to turn off his brain and not be forced to think about anything during the NBA Finals. The trope of "don't mix politics and sports" is ageless and always a weak attempt at shutting down debate before it begins.

Juicy's response to me was probably sarcastic, too (the implication being that not a lot of people watch the NBA Finals, which is just wrong).

6. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Redskins president Bruce Allen responded to this issue in a letter providing statements and facts including team history.

http://files.redskins.com/pdf/letter-from-pres-bruce-allen.pdf

Key points:
    *Logo designed by Native Americans.
    *Poll conducted by affiliates of the University of PA surveyed Native Americans nationwide and found 90% found the term "Redskin" not offensive.
    *In 2014, a poll conducted by the Associated Press revealed 83% of Americans are in favor of keeping the name "Redskins".
    *7 months of research was put in to finding out where the term "Redskin" came from and it originated as a Native American expression of solidarity by multi-tribal delegations that traveled to Washington to negotiate Native American national policies. "The actual origin of the term "redskin" is entirely benign and reflects more positive aspects of relations between Indians and whites.

This needs to be made into a commercial as well I guess lol

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The most appropriate nickname of all time was the Washington Bullets. How embarrassing was it for DC that they had to change the name?? lol

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's already taken. The long time AAA team in my hometown is called the Indianapolis Indians.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was born in Valpo.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Should change their name to Washington Scandals

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is what I am most interested in. What do American Indians think? This commercial gives us insight from one small group of American Indians, but I'm curious to how much they care. They have the opinions that should matter.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Would anyone here walk up to a Native American and call them a redskin?

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think the name is less important than the logo. Washington Bravehearts would not be that bad.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

edited: I've made the decision to keep D&D stuff in the D&D.

#35 bigtexxx, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Booo!

I just don't understand why people let things like this offend them... Then again I'm not Indian. So there's a solid chance that I genuenly don't get it.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Not so fast. I remember in the mid 1990s, there was a groundswell of calls to change the name of the Atlanta Braves because it was offensive. My father was working in North Carolina at the time and there was a group of Native Americans who were making the foam tomahawks that were sold at games. Needless to say, they were not in favor of a change.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Didn't realize that.

Regardless, when the name is a potentially racist term like Redskins, it's easy to engender sympathy. I know that the Seminole Nation in Oklahoma actually opposes the FSU use of the Seminole name, but it's hard to get a lot of sympathy up for the idea that it is racist to simply be named after a group of people.

Should white people be offended at the Cowboy name that gets used across the country? Rough Riders? If you live in Texas should you be offended by the Texans name? (Other than it being simply stupid!)

Just having something named after a group of people isn't racist or offensive in my mind at all, but when the term is potentially racist, that's a whole different can of worms.

20. Lefty

Lefty Member

Coming from the south im offended by the New England Patriots name.

Just saying...