1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-police atmosphere leads to yet another shooting of police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 17, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You just said above that black people get less benefit of the doubt.

Then later followed it up with...

Apparently black people should just be cool with getting less benefit of the doubt though.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes....and then I explained why they get less benefit of the doubt, especially from black police officers.

They don't have to be cool with it, but until the root cause is changed, it'll still exist. Maybe white males in the late 20's and early 30's don't like being the profile for serial killers.....but until the stats suggest that shouldn't be the profile, nothing will change that.....AND it's not wrong.

Maybe someone who is 6'8 and 270 lbs doesn't like the idea that cops are going to be more nervous around them during a stop than they would an 80 year old grandmother, but it is what it is. No amount of crying about it can change reality. Is it a stereotype that bigger guys present more of a physical risk than small elderly women? No, it's just reality.

If you want things to change, you have to stop the violence first.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rmIfTEZRBko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GUTjfCxFLZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Murder by the men in blue.

This is why BLM exists....these officers should all be sent to prison.

DD

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Would MLKJ value jobs and freedom over police brutality enough to make it the central theme of his march on Washington DC?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yet another situation where people ignore commands by police and things end up bad. I think the person who fired the shot might end up in trouble but most likely they had the gun out due to the person ignoring police commands and continuing to head back to their SUV then the person with the taser fired when the guy reached towards the SUV and it started the guy with the gun.

Such an unfortunate incident that wouldn't have happened if the guy simply followed police instruction. Perhaps we should teach it in high school.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As I said it really doesn't matter that black officers also think black people are dangerous. It's a stereotype, it doesn't make it better that black people can hold the stereotype towards others as well.

MLK would not be happy with those stats that I mentioned about jobs, you are right about that. He still would not be happy about people still being judged by their skin and race, that much is obvious.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've already explained this to you...and have already given up on you ever seeing reason. Hopefully whatever has enslaved your mind will one day set you free and you'll be able to see things more clearly.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You think these responses are cute but I still find it funny how you ignored all of the stats I posted and dodged them the entirety of the thread.

I'll take that as you realizing you can't respond to them, no worries.

9. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

100% perfectly said.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet you guys are against any kind of program to end programs to help keep kids in school or actually decrease pregnancy rates in teenagers.

It's such hypocrisy. You want to cut these programs and then complain that if they don't want to be shot they should have a more respectable life.

How do you know this guy didn't have a job by the way?

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/12/black-white-unemployment-gap/421497/

The numbers kind of disagree with you:

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing is the govt. will pay the same or more if they cut those programs. As a society we can either pay to have good schools, programs to keep kids in schools, reduce teen pregnancy etc.

Or

We can as much or more money because we don't do that, have to have more prisons, trials, police, assistance programs, uninsured health care expenses, etc.

The only difference is that with spending the money on those programs you have a better working more pleasant society.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Perhaps we should teach POLICE not to shoot their guns when someone has their back to them and hands on the top of the car.

This is not the victims fault this is once again racial profiling and CRAPPY policing.

If you are not good enough to control yourself you should not be a police officer.

Perhaps we should start some standardized testing to get into the police academy and root out all the people with temperament issues, and are not smart enough. Lord knows some of dumbest guys I went to school with became cops....not the sharpest tools in the shed, and not people I would trust to make a sound decision.

DD

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Why would you care at all about a black employment candidate being turned down for jobs in Silicon Valley at a higher rate than less-qualified candidates of another race? It is almost as if you are trying to argue that economics is the possible root cause of a lot of violence within the black community - police violence or otherwise. I've not ever seen you make that argument.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it really is. Ignoring police instructions and heading back to your car is risky. I think the officer that shot him got startled by the sound of the taser, and should be reprimanded and likely fired for it, but the guy created a tense situation by simply not doing what he was supposed to be doing.....which we are seeing more and more with "victims"

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It is risky precisely because we have police that are far too trigger happy. That does not mean it was the victim's fault.

A woman passing out in a frat house is risky also. That does not make it her fault if she gets raped.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's risky because you are making yourself a threat. The "victim" made himself a threat to police when there was no need....that's pretty stupid. All he had to do was what was legally required of him, and he goes home happy. Instead he randomly chooses to break the law and make himself a threat and ended up dead.

Give the man a Darwin award and let's move on.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

This is not a war zone. The police should not behave like an occupying army. This citizen was not an enemy soldier. If police see citizens merely as "threats" and "non-threats" that really explains a lot of the problem. The penalty for "being stupid" should not be summary execution.

The police have a duty to protect and serve, but what is really happening in a lot of these cases is the police are judging citizens as a threat unless proven otherwise. The benefit of the doubt really needs to work the other way, otherwise we are living in a police state.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Police see people who are refusing to comply with lawful orders as threats because people who are not threats have no reason to refuse to comply. Cops get shot every day in situations like this.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Is that what's happening? If so then yes I would care.

I did make that argument, did you read the thread? Did people just pass over the section where I posted economic stats? Bobby said specifically "What is the problem, it is either culture or biological." and I responded. Seriously, just a page back or so.

This mixed with a few other things like the war on drugs certainly don't help. Those in poverty always are far more likely to commit crimes. Always. In any situation and in any country. Why black people are more likely those in poverty, well I linked to a long essay explaining that too. It looks like some people didn't care to acknowledge that though but want to have a discussion and only look at it from their side and ignore any facts as a result.