1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Chinese protest over Senkaku islands.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Kojirou, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Recent Link over the protests

Basically, the Senkakus are bunch of piddling islands in the middle of nowhere which Japan and China argue about who belong. Some Japanese nationalists went and raised a flag calling for China to give it up, Chinese got upset.

If you're wondering why the East Asian countries do this so much (Japan and Korea have had similar disputes with other islands), it's a combination of obtaining the resources of the sea (you own the land, you own the water around it, and there's oil in the Pacific) and the general animosity between the two states.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's just like the Spratly Islands -- all about the resources.

3. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

I may agree with the content over what you are saying, but I assure you that the link you reference, and probably the overall story is the massive anti-Japanese protests dating back from their war crimes, the invasion of Manchuria, the rape chambers etc.. etc..

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol japan trying to steal land like usual

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[rquoter]
    “Even if China is covered with graves, we must kill all Japanese.”

[/rquoter]

Awesome!

I propose the institution of a massive death cage match in cases like this. Put a giant cage over the islands, and you put all the Japanese and Chinese that are eager to kill each other inside. Last nationality standing gets the Islands. You could even find some Taiwanese, Filipinos and Koreans to throw in to make it a true Battle Royale death cage match.

You could do the same for all the other contested global hot spots like Jerusalem. If you want to kill an entire race of people, you should be afforded the chance to try to do so or die trying.

Otherwise, you should have to shut the hell up and learn to get along.

....btw shouldn't the title be Anti-Japanese Protests"

#5 Ottomaton, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What has creates the issue is about resources (the islands give Japan a foothold on the Asian continental shelf) but what fuels it is emotions stemming from the wartime history of Japan. Nationalist from both sides have exploited the Diaoyu / Senkaku's for their own interest.

7. Grumbler

Grumbler Member

late to the game? the whole thing is pretty over for now. a bunch of activist here in HK went to the Diaoyu islands last week. got arrested illegally and then released next day. then it continues from your story. but that was a few days ago as well.

8. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

It's not all about resouces, Chinese leadership considers among all other things, "political correctness", before they do anything. eg.They effectively handed over the far east to Russia and didnt make a fuss.. think Vladivostok and vast surrounding area including land islands and sea, that alone is, i could be wrong, 10000 times the area of Diaoyu/Senkaku Islets, not to mention the rich resources underneath it, oil/gas, rare earth elements, you name it...

If you go over China today and ask around, I would expect not much ppl even knowing this "gift" deal, ask Sino-Russia relation, and all the answers u r gonna get are proly on the lines of, Friends/ allies, blah blah...

getting deviated... no leaders, i think, not just the Chinese leaders would want to be held responsible, or remember as "the one" who lost the D/S islets.

from the Japanese's perspective, while the right wing is just enjoying the media attention, the PM is afraid of moving a foot wrong that might affect his votes...

people who made it on the streets and the ones burning the flags are just scapegoats caught on the camera, what a stupid world we r living in lol

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

of course not. It is all about politics and nationalism.

Russia did help China drove out Japs, USA and KMT. Russians helped China on technology, military, economy....Russia is not spying on China, not trying to make enemies out of China's every neighbor, not trying to interfere with China's anything. The gift was worthy, so far.

On the other hand, I do not think any Chinese would want to give any gift to the Japs, who had killed over $40M Chinese and still are playing as a major hand behind anti-China gangs, terrorism; and most importantly, Japs are still occupying Chinese islands. To most Chinese, that war was never over and they are willing to have a chance to do it again.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Do you get a kick out of being racist, or are you simply oblivious to the fact that that's what you are?

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's not just East Asian countries.Territory disputes are pretty much everywhere in the world. It is not only about natural resources either. If it were only about economic benefits, a good China-Japan relationship is far more important than the oil reserves beneath the water surrounding Diaoyu island.
    Dispute aside, the Chinese protest is a psychological eruption over Japan's past agression against China, so this is much bigger than just territory dispute. If I were Japanese political leaders, I would not provoke and compound that sentiment from Chinese right now by rubbing even more salt on it. China is a nuclear power and one of largest trade partners with Japan. I think the Japanese government is handling this just about ok up to this point. It has to walk on a very fine line.
    For China, all the historic evidence may be supporting China's claim over the island, but the island has been effectively controlled by Japan for awhile now. In the past 20 and 30 years, the relationship with Japan has steadily grown despite this little dispute. In the 80s and 90s, there were times Chinese even liked Japan when the island was controlled by Japan. So why the massive eruption now? Territory dispute with Japan is far different from terrotory invasion from Japan 50 years ago. Nonetheless, most Chinese at the moment are very much stuck their own psychological anger against Japan irrationally.

I wish the dispute were only about natural resources, and the situation could be resovled on economic terms. But at the end of the day, the two countries share a lot of similar values stemming from a common culture root. When the two are that alike, disputes can never be resolved peacefully. On top of that is the complications of the troubled past between the two. This holds true for whatever beef the Koreans have against the Chinese and the Japnese as well.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I prefer cholera blankets, systemic destruction of indigenous food sources, and overwhelming technological superiority.

13. Dei

Dei Member

How many actual people does this monetary value pertain to, actually?

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Seriously, North Korea should blow up those islands (they are basically the only ones without a stake in that). I've heard and know about the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands for so long and as far as I can see, there are far bigger problems than that for either country. Japan should focus on getting its political act regarding its declining population and economic growth, and China should be trying to kick consumption into a higher % of GDP and reforming the government. Unfortunately some irrelevant islands in the sea is distracting from real problems.