1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti-abortion killer willing ‘martyr’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Florida activist set for execution on Wednesday; reprisals feared

STARKE, Fla., Sept. 2 — Anti-abortion activist Paul Hill, who murdered a doctor and bodyguard at a Florida abortion clinic, said Tuesday on the eve of his execution that his death would make him a martyr and he expected others to follow in his footsteps.

“MORE PEOPLE should act as I acted. You don’t need permission to defend your neighbor,” Hill, a former Presbyterian minister, told reporters in a news conference at Florida State Prison near the death row cell where he awaits execution Wednesday.
    “I believe the state, by executing me, will be making me a martyr,” he added.
    Barring a last-minute stay, Hill will be executed by chemical injection Wednesday, becoming the first killer of a doctor who provided abortions to be executed in the United States.
    That milestone has touched off fears among abortion-rights advocates of a wave of reprisal violence by fringe elements of the anti-abortion movement. Abortion providers have been put on alert and clinics have stepped up security.
    Hill, 49, was convicted of first-degree murder for the shotgun slayings of Dr. John Britton, 69, and his bodyguard, James Barrett, 74, outside the Ladies Center in Pensacola, Florida, on July 29, 1994.

SAID TO WELCOME DEATH
    Hill made no attempt to flee the murder scene, did not deny the killings and dropped his appeals, saying he welcomed his date with the death chamber. He has said he would probably kill again in similar circumstances.
    His crimes, coupled with prison writings that have appeared on various Web sites, led abortion rights activists to worry his execution would inspire his spiritual followers to commit similar acts.
    In the weeks leading up to the execution, several Florida officials received anonymous threatening letters. Some reports indicated each of the letters contained a bullet. Law enforcement authorities declined to confirm the reports.
    “I’m not supporting that kind of action,” Hill said of the threatening letters. “I think those bullets should be pointed in the direction of the abortion providers.”
    The threats are under investigation and Hill has not been directly linked to them.

DECLINE IN VIOLENCE
    Violent attacks at abortion clinics, from bombings to invasions to snipers, have subsided, especially since 1998.
    “We’ve seen a decline in violence, but we’re concerned that the execution could turn that around. There are people who want to make a martyr of him,” said Vicki Saporta, president of the National Abortion Federation, which tracks abortion-clinic violence.
    Hill was smiling and composed in the hourlong meeting with reporters in the visitation room at the prison. He showed emotion only when talking about his last visit with his two daughters Monday.
    He was scheduled for a final visit from his wife, son, parents and two sisters Wednesday and a last meal of charbroiled sirloin steak, baked potato and salad before the 6 p.m. execution.
    Hill attracted attention the year before the murders of Britton and Barrett when he defended the actions of Michael Griffin, who was on trial for killing a doctor at the same clinic. Hill made TV talk show appearances and was featured in newspaper and magazine articles.
    Hill represents a narrow fringe even within the extreme of the anti-abortion movement. Philip “Flip” Benham, executive director of Operation Rescue, a protest group whose members are regularly arrested on charges of criminal trespass and obstructing clinics, said, “Not only do I not agree with Paul Hill, I consider him a heretic.”

© 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I heard about this on the radio this morning. I am pro-life, but what this Hill guy did was despicable. I am glad to see that he is such a nutcase to think he is a martyr for getting to die in a gas chamber, LOL.

I do feel that people have a right to protest abortion clinics, but the way things are now, I guess it is asking too much to protest peacefully, especially with screwballs like Hill running around. And although, educated and rational people know that this guy is off his rocker and should not be associated with pro-life groups, not all people out there, like the uninformed, know this. This in turn pisses me off that they are going to associate this idiot with people who are pro-life.

Good job, Hill, you just convinced more people to be in favor of abortion with your reckless actions.:mad:

3. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I'm pro-choice, but I absolutely have no problem with pro-lifers protesting, signing petitions and actively using legal means to further their cause. Civil disobedience is also a wonderful way to stand for your cause. It's this freedom to voice our opinions (and actively petition the government) that made America great.

But killing people is just plain wrong, no matter how noble you believe the cause.

4. rothdaniel

rothdaniel Member

He just put himself in the same category as the doctors killing the babies.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is awful. Two wrongs don't make a right. Much like affirmative action.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

disgusting.

here's the breakdown from my perspective:

1. our society deems that we can terminate the lives in womens' bodies;

2. some jackass decides to kill the doctor who kills babies;

3. the state will be killing that jackass through lethal injection.

death. death. death. no sanctity anywhere.

7. goophers

goophers Member

For those of you who think this guy represents the pro-life crowd, DON'T!

This guy makes my skin crawl.

8. GreenVegan76

I think most people realize this guy is a nutjob. This guy represents pro-lifers as much as terrorists represent Islam. There are whackos in every religion, movement and Rockets message board.

Put another way, Yao Ming is 7'5", but that doesn't mean all Rockets are 7'5".

9. Manny Ramirez

I agree GV, but I am afraid that people who are uninformed may not know the difference.

Perfect example is my grandmother, 10 years ago (she is now in a nursing home but lost her mind like 6 years ago)....she used to get all kinds of mail that really would make you LOL. Now, you and me and anyone else knows to trash that stuff but someone like her could read that crap and actually take some stock in it. I honestly hope that there aren't that many uninformed people out there, but somehow, I have a feeling that they are out there and exist. How many of them are out there is something that I have no idea about, though.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Just to clarify, I didn't post this to say that this guy is an example of the pro-life crowd. I wanted to talk about how he gave a press conference and whether or not that was standard. I thought it wasn't at first but then on second thought, I had some vague recollection of other deathrow press conferences but I was too lazy to look it up.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. MadMax the nihilist?

12. goophers

goophers Member

Oski,
    I didn't think you were posting it as an example of the pro-life crowd. I saw this earlier and was thinking about posting it, but you got it first.

Green,
    Most people realize that that this guy's a nutjob. However, in more than one abortion thread, it has been thrown out there that pro-life people don't oppose this (which is just wrong). Some people do think that the pro-life crowd tolerates this, and I wanted to make sure no one tried to say that here. There are some people that do think that anti-abortionists support this stuff. :(

13. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

ditto

14. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Very well said [applauding]

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Really? This is the first time I have ever heard of a condemned prisoner being allowed to hold a news conference. I've seen jailhouse interviews, but never a news conference.

16. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

someone please shoot that guy, preferably a nonlethal wound

I oppose the death penalty on moral grounds, but I'd like to gut this guy myself.

We all agree that murder is wrong. We don't all agree that abortion is wrong.

17. Manny Ramirez

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth....

18. GreenVegan76

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the world blind and, uh, toothless.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

LOL

20. Manny Ramirez

GV,

You have joined Jeff, RM95, Batman, and Major as one of my favorite liberals with that post!:D