1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony "Pig" MIller

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Feb 2, 2003.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Does anyone know the status of Pig Miller? After watching Jason Collier muddle around for a few garbage minutes the last few games here and there, I wandered about Pig.

In the Minnesota game when Cato went out, I worried we had no one reeally to back up Yao. I realize we are contractually obliged to Collier to the end of the season, but could we buy out the contract for a utility big man like Miller instead???

What do you think??

Collier does not appear to belong in the NBA as has been suggested before on the board.....

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

T-Bar, it's time to wander over to a TV and look at a videotape. Collier's fast break tomahawk dunk was almost vintage Dr. J, and he ripped down his only chance at a rebound with a fury that would broken Pig's toothpick.

After every game in which Collier gets a chance, people murmur about what surprisingly good plays he made. Then later it's back to his not being NBA-caliber. WATCH THE GAME before you make comments like this!

3. Possum

Possum Member

My thoughts exactly! On that play Collier showed great hustle to beat everyone down court and great hands to catch that bullet of a pass. People here are way to hard on him. He hasn't really had time or the chance for people to be so critical of his game.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I must admit that I, too, would like JaCo to get some real minutes at the 4 and 5.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Collier has actually looked good every single time that he has played this year. He has rebounded and scored well when he has been in the game at either power forward or center.

Collier has been a victim of Yao Ming and Kelvin Cato more than anything else this year. Given the choice between Collier and Pig I would take Collier.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Collier needs to be out on the court when Mo-T and Griffin are struggling. He can also be useful when Yao is having trouble with physical play or when Cato gets in foul trouble.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I stand corrected. I was at the Minnesota game when I saw Collier dunk the ball.

I was concerned at the time that Yao was working a lot of minutes with Cato leaving the game with the hip flexor problem. With all due respect to Jasopn Collier, I am still very concerned that if Kelvin Cato missed several games with an injury, Collier coulb be playing up to 15 minutes per game.

Watching Collier lumber down the court, I think this is a lot of minutes for him. If everyone here wants to see more minutes from Collier- this may be a necessary evil.

We have a tough stretch of games coming up. Does anyone know how Cato is?????

No disrespect to everyone who responded to this post - I do not feel comfortable with tough games coming up relying heavily on Collier.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Pig is just a very small part of Rockets history,lets leave him in peace! Please!

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

do we have the most diverse line of centers in skill, ability and ethnicity in the nba ever?

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Collier is a quality backup. He has more range than Cato, has better hands, sets a better pick and runs the floor faster. That noted, Cato is the superior rebounder and is is very person the Rockets need to back up Ming.

Collier is a better shooter than Griffin but not as good as Mo-T. Griffin is a better shot-blocker and defender and is a big part of the Rockets' future. However, having Collier is an ASSET, not a liability, because he can play "power" PF and center as well. He's not some skinny 6-10 trying-to-be center -- he's a legitimate 7 feet and 265 pounds.

Personally, I hope we resign Collier in the summer because he is the best backup attainable, knows the system and is well-liked by his teammates, i.e. no "chemistry" problems.

11. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Is Cato going to play today against SAC?
    I def hope so