1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony, Nuggets look ready to part ways

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CJLarson, Aug 26, 2010.

1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AivMkY59jKAwMOX0cBp9bNi8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonynuggets082610

Carmelo Anthony(notes) wants out of Denver, and World Wide Wes delivered that message to the Nuggets with all
    the delicacy of a jackhammer at Sunday morning services. Do yourself a favor and trade him, the agent told the organization weeks ago.

Denver was furnished with a short list of teams and told to get to work. Yes, this how William Wesley and Leon Rose of CAA work now, thick with threats and ultimatums and a swagger suggesting that the sport belongs to them. After Anthony told owner-in-waiting Josh Kroenke that he still wanted out of Denver during a Sunday meeting, the Nuggets appear done trying to sell their All-Star forward on a contract extension.
    More From Adrian Wojnarowski

Kroenke's son tries to woo Anthony Aug 23, 2010

This wasn’t a productive, nor particularly pleasant, meeting and multiple sources said it could turn out to be the point of no return for Anthony and the organization. Sources insist it’s no longer a matter of if the Nuggets trade Anthony, but when, where and for whom he’s traded for.

“It’s almost a given they’re going to move him,” said a front-office executive who’s talked with the Nuggets and Anthony’s agents with CAA.

Between the agents’ bullying and Anthony’s dismissive disposition in Sunday’s meeting, sources said Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, Josh’s father, finally made a stand with CAA.

Keep it up, and the Nuggets will never do a deal for one of your clients again.

Try to dictate terms of a trade and we won’t move him.

Keep up the heavy-handedness and you’ll get a war.

Kroenke has decided to deal with CAA in a way most of the league is too fearful to try. Leon Rose, the agent who works with Wesley, backed down, sources said, and is willing to be more open-minded on potential trade destinations. Anthony wants to leave Denver and get his three-year, $65 million contract extension now. This partnership is rounding third and rapidly reaching disrepair. Denver is willing to trade Anthony, J.R. Smith(notes) and
    Kenyon Martin(notes), and start over again, sources said.

The Nuggets made it clear to teams they want young players and draft picks for Anthony, league executives said. The New Jersey Nets and Los Angeles Clippers have emerged as the two most probable destinations for Anthony because they have assets that appeal to Denver. The geography works for Anthony because of his wife LaLa Vazquez’s entertainment career.

Golden State and Houston are contenders, too. What’s more, the Charlotte Bobcats are a sleeper because of Anthony’s Brand Jordan shoe deal and the team’s ability to give the Nuggets a salary-dump proposal.

Back in mid-July, the Kroenkes had to travel to New York for Anthony’s wedding to finally realize he no longer intended to sign their extension offer. The reception spiraled into an evening of Chris Paul(notes) and Anthony’s
    brother making toasts about a future partnership for Anthony and Paul in New York with the Knicks. With nothing to trade for Anthony, though, New York isn’t considered a strong contender in the eyes of Denver management.

Few can be as strong-minded and willful as Stan Kroenke, and it doesn’t matter the Nuggets will be turned over to his son Josh by the end of the year. Stan still will be lording over the franchise, and the billionaire has shown an old-school ability to carry through on his convictions once you’ve lost him as an ally.

With the way that CAA has tried to muscle and manipulate the market this summer, a source said Stan Kroenke, freshly approved as the St. Louis Rams owner, feels further emboldened in the NBA’s collective bargaining talks to push for a “franchise player” tag that teams could slap on superstars like the one the NFL uses. NBA owners are still far from seriously discussing that issue, but CAA’s manipulation of Anthony and Paul while under contract has become an increasingly sore subject within the league.

For now, the departure of Denver general manager Mark Warkentien and the increased influence of Kroenke advisor Bret Bearup means there won’t be much of a fight within the organization to stay the course with Anthony, sources said. Denver has hired Masai Ujiri as its new GM, but he doesn’t arrive with the authority to make major moves. Things have deteriorated too fast and grown too nasty to believe Denver will turn back now. ‘Melo is on the market, and the bidding has begun.
    Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Charlotte? Are you kidding me? The Clippers? This getting stupid. I'm really statrting to hate this World Wide Wes. Sounds like a character from " The Pick-up Artist. Matador, Mystery and World Wide Wes. what a tool.

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Good ready wish we were probale destinions, but o well were contenders!

4. snc

snc Member

I don't get why his wife's entertainment career even plays a role in his decision. He is a premier NBA superstar. Who the **** is LaLa Vazquez?

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

[​IMG]

6. Steve_Francis_rules

She's a really annoying and dumb chick who used to be on MTV.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

She's not even all that. kinda bug-eyed, saggy boobs. She's hot, but from a star. You'll see a better looking woman at the average strip club.

8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

she looks like black nicole richie without an eating disorder. Not bad, not great.

9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

She hosts a lot of the reunion shows for VH1 and MTV.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

[​IMG]

11. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Meo could be reading this. And we would be screwed.

12. snc

snc Member

Not to be too superficial but she looks like a man and has a bit of a tummy in his picture. Her IMDB profile didn't impress me much either --- You Got Served? Really?

Okay, if Melo had the option of going to the Knicks (if they were good) or Lakers, I could see how it would be a win-win scenario. But the Nets or Clippers? I haven't read every post in the dozens of Carmelo threads but am I the only one wondering if he is the most p***y-whipped person ever?

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I wonder which of Golden State, Clippers, and Charlotte nuggets4 was referring to as the "other" team nobody has associated with getting Melo thus far.

Also, I think LaLa is hotter than 95% of the women out there.

14. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Budinger + Hill + Battier + NY draft pick for Anthony

This gives the Nuggets two great young players, a veteran, and a draft pick they want.

Git er done Morey!!!

15. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Total but-her face.
    Everythings fine, but her face

16. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You should come to San Marcos sometime. And she won't be hotter than 15% of the women she auditions with in Hollywood. I know i'm a hater but I doubt she's hotter most NBA wifes.

18. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

This is a short-sighted move by CAA. While it might make their clients better able to dictate the terms to trades in the near term, it could backfire. If I were them, I'd wait it out a bit more before further poisoning the relationship with Nuggets.

By basically forcing his way out early, Anthony creates an impression to potential teams that he is willing to sabotage his way out of a given situation if he's not satisfied with the direction of the team. That only drops his value to teams that might be interested as well as drops the value of CAA's clients if they are associated with this kind of tactic.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Both the rockets and nets have a good young players to work on a deal, but I do not think Denver can trade him to any team they wish, Anthony has something to say. Why does he want to go to Clippers? The rockets and nets are two teams who should go. If he does care about the winning, then nets can be removed either.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

I was afraid of this....

Oh well Rocketfans, it's a done deal. It's not up to 'Melo on where he wants to go. It's what appeals the most for the Nuggets. I still have high hopes for this current team anyway. :(