1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Davis is ballin' = Optimism for Jones?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by allaroundplayer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. allaroundplayer

I don't know his exact stats, but I noticed in every preseason game Anthony Davis has been playing very well.

People may dismiss this notion, but since Terrence Jones played at the same college & has some of the same skills & athletic ability as Davis, I feel it provides a reason for optimism for Jones.

Like Jones, Anthony Davis has taken time to develop because last season he had a lot of bad games. Jones can also look at what Davis is doing & should be doing this year & gain confidence since he is familiar with his game.

I just don't know what his go-to move is going to be. I don't think he will be a consistent 3-point threat. I don't remember this hitch in his shot. It seems his shooting has regressed since his rookie season. In the D-League, he showed he has a great first step, a great crossover & he can drive to the basket and shoot off the dribble and also shoot floaters.

2. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

watch these 2 guys' move on court. I can tell from time to time TJ is like 0.2 sec lag that he missed the catch or cant finish the move b4 defender's hand come over and deny him. in short, reflex is not quick enough.

Reflex speed is part of talent come with neuron system, some big guys like AD did have an excellent reflex arc that enable him to respond quickly to the ball and make the move once he think about it, that's why AD is the first draft pick. i dont know if it can be improved by practice, at least not in short term. Although TJ has plenty upside, he currently is still not quick enough for some skill moves, it would limit his contribution on offensive end and if he cant cover this weakness and turn himself to a offensive option, a blue collar rebounder is not bad for him.

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

His reaction time and decision making in terms of where to be on the court, passing, rotations, when to shoot and where to shoot it (i.e. shot selection), with help defense, etc. is a bit more prolonged than with other NBA players I've noticed. This can hurt a player inside a "read and react" type offense. However he could really help his case if he starts hitting threes.

4. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

The biggest difference between the two is attitude on the court. TJones seems a little too detached.

5. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

WTF? you realize they were picked in their spots for a reason right? their potential is vastly different. the only way anthony davis and terrence jones would even be similar is if davis was a huge disappointment.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There is as much correlation Between Anthony Davis' success and T Jones as there is between Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress who also played for wake Forest.

7. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

I would not go that far. But point taken.

8. basketballholic

It's attitude and fast twitch brain activity.

9. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Goran Dragic is balling. Optimism for Zoran Dragic.

Steph Curry is balling. Optimism for Seth Curry.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Anthony Davis took "a long time to develop" last year was because he was injured, he was a rookie, his frontcourt teammate was a defensive sieve, and he played for the Hornets.

11. luhbron

luhbron Member

This is the worst assessment of talent ever. Davis might be a once in a generation type player...

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Deron Williams is to Luther Head as Anthony Davis is to Terrance Jones most likely.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Davis was pretty damn good when he was actually on the court last year.

14. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Wow - That is a huge stretch.

I have been VERY bullish on T Jones development . . . but - I do not think he will ever develop the way Davis has and will.

Watching Jones play last year and so far in preseason with the wealth of talent we have on the court he just has a LONG way to go.

He does not have a fluid offensive game. His jumper and release are awkward. His hands are questionable. His ability to finish at the rim is sporadic.

I want him to succeed more than anyone - but at this point I predict a MUCH higher upside with D-Mo than T-Jones and I can't imagine he will ever be close to A. Davis.

15. conquistador#11

marcus camby and edgar padilla had a similar game!

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Paul George is looking pretty good... wonder if that means Greg Smith is about to break out.... since they played together at Fresno State.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

T jones has double the brows though

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Davis is soooo far ahead of Jones it's not even funny. Davis will be a top 5 player in the NBA, Jones will be lucky to be a starting caliber power forward.

19. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

This! LOL