1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Year, Another AFS South Star RB Holdout

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Jul 26, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

That owner came off as a douche.

I understand this 2nd quote, but did those other 50 players carry that disgrace of a franchise on their back? Did the coaches go out there with 8 in the box and still put up numbers? I have no beef when RB's holdout, because their shelf life is extremely short.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Uncle Bob treats his stars right.

Crossing MJD off my fantasy draft list now....

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm in the pro-Khan camp. MJD was extended early and is still paid in the top 10 of RB's. He gave up the right to higher yearly salaries for the security of the long-term deal way back when. The team owes him nothing.

Would it be a good faith gesture? Sure. But I think it does set a bad precedent and the fact is the team isn't a playoff contender with or without him. They would just be spinning wheels playing him more money.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Security of a long term contract? That is a joke right?
    Those 'long term' contracts are not guaranteed. He can be cut at a moments notice. . . . hell with no notice. . .
    teams can and do it all the time . . .
    Teams have no loyalty to the players. . . .why expect the reverse?

Rocket River

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You say this in almost every NFL thread. Do you not understand that those are the terms the players *agreed* to? You have an obligation to do what you agreed to do. It's not about loyalty. Part of the agreement is that some of the contract(s) are not-guaranteed. If he wanted a fully guaranteed contract, he should have asked for and signed one.

You act as if the players are being lied to or something. Very puzzling this hasn't sunk in for you yet after 3-4 years.

And yes, MJD chose to get his big payday too soon, and now he regrets it. The new ownership doesn't sympathize with him, and I don't blame them. Of course, the team and organization suck ass, so I don't blame MJD either for not being happy. But tie doesn't go to the runner in this situation for me.

#6 DonnyMost, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

AFS?

Arian Foster Superstar?

8. xcrunner51

He got $17.5m guaranteed on his current contract.

9. xcrunner51

I doubt he regrets it. It's simple "have his cake and eat it too" scenario that's becoming all too popular in pro sports.

10. AFS

AFS Member

And here I thought I was getting a thread made about me...

1 person likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it IS about you. i hope you get your new contract

1 person likes this.
  12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't much blame the owner. These players can get cut, sure, but they never agree to take a pay cut if they have a down year. They never give their guaranteed money back to the owner if they turn out to be **** and never live up to their potential. Why should the team be held to a different standard when the player performs ABOVE their contract?

To me, the way Andre handled this was better. He wanted to be paid more according to his on field production, but I don't think he ever threatened a holdout, and I don't think he would have not shown up had Bob McNair been unwilling to rework his deal. It would have just effected their working relationship moving forward. He was looking for a gesture of good faith, asked for it, and received it. No animosity on either side.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The collective bargaining agreement allows for teams to cut players whenever and allows players to hold out. Both sides are doing what they think is right for themselves and both sides are entitled to it according to their collectively bargained agreement.

The Jets had a clause in Revis' contract that would totally screw him to a worse contract if he held out this year (according to Florio on a radio interview), so that's why Revis went to camp.

So, in MJD's case, I don't have a horse in the race and just hope it's good for the Texans.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Players take pay cuts all the time.
    Demeco took one. There is talk of restructuring A. J. If he injured or don't perform this Year.

When you have a monopoly... You can enforce unfair rules.

Rocket River

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, Look at Albert Haynesworth, he got a huge deal, and played like crap, not even giving 100% effort in a lot of the games, he didnt took a pay cut, then they couldnt just cut him, because they would still have to pay him guaranteed money that would hit the cap space.

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

To be fair Dan Snyder promised him the defense would remain a 4-3 *before* he signed the contract . That promise was broken.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

To be more fair, Albert Haynesworth was a quitter. I'm a secondary Skins fan and was on the Haynesworth apologist side for the longest of times and just couldn't do it in the end. Dude just didn't care. And Shanny messed up by not trading him when he still had value. Supposedly, Shanny though he could get Haynesworth to fly straight, but in the end, he lost out on some draft pick potential, which was needed the last 2 years as the Skins were one of the oldest teams in the NFL (not this year though).

18. Travisss

Travisss Member

PAY ME RIC

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In light of Jaguars owner Shad Khan's recent public remarks, Jacksonville's RB Maurice Jones-Drew is now open to being traded, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/238036145718579200" data-datetime="2012-08-21T22:13:34+00:00">August 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Now the holdout for <a href="https://twitter.com/jones_drew32"><s>@</s><b>jones_drew32</b></a> shows no signs of letting up and is fully expected to extend into the regular season.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/238036329202597889" data-datetime="2012-08-21T22:14:18+00:00">August 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    ------------------------------------
    Jags Owner earlier today(at the announcement that JAC would be playing 4 games in UK over the next 4 years)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jags owner Shad Khan on Jones-Drew still being absent: "Train is leaving the station. Run, get on it."</p>&mdash; Eugene Frenette (@GeneFrenette) <a href="https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/237983925551648768" data-datetime="2012-08-21T18:46:04+00:00">August 21, 2012</a></blockquote>

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The CBA doesn't allow holdouts.