1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Way to Get Free Agents (Without Using the MLE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

rox already have more contract than roster spots. I really doubt that another FA signing is in the cards of Morey.

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to me that teams go out of their way to get a TPEs. The average team makes several trades a year, and ends up with TPEs without contrived deals.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It would be just as much (if not more) about getting a future second rounder. Teams sign and trade players all the time in order to get SOMETHING (anything) for that player. If you question is "What is that team's incentive?", then I've answered that question. If you would not do such a deal if you were a GM, then that is your prerogative. However, most other GMs would.

Again (for the 3rd or 4th time), I realize that the Rockets don't exactly have the roster spots to make any sort of deal right now. I was simply starting a discussion about how the Rockets have this AVENUE if they ever sort out the glut of roster spots.

4. saleem

saleem Member

We do have a lot of glut spots but if management uses the 2.3M TE for a 3 year contract for Mo Evans,it would be a nice step. He is a bit short but he is good physical defender with decent to good athleticism and isn't a one dimensional player ala Head despite not being a good 3 point shooter.

Tracy doesn't defend at the 2 much and neither can Barry/Jackson/Head or SF be relied on to do anything. McGrady missed 16 games and Barry 51 last year,which would make things difficult with injuries. I know quite a lot of people will say Battier is there for mainly defense but he shouldn't be playing 40 minutes a night.

Head/Novak can be useful as part of an expiring contract but Mo Evans could be part of a trade package too if we could get a better player via trade.
    I don't see Greene doing much but he can replace Novak's minutes.

It seems like a minor trade might work out soon which could potentially help in getting Mo Evans via the TE. They should explore the chance of it provided if they can stay under the LT.Landry's situation does complicate matters,but this avenue should be explored. I do feel that DM will stand pat for now baring a minor trade though like you said BimaThug.