1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Way to Get Free Agents (Without Using the MLE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 19, 2008.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The recent news of the Nets organizing a sign-and-trade for Keyon Dooling opened my eyes to an avenue the Rockets can use that I had not initially thought about:

Using their trade exceptions in SIGN AND TRADES.

With the Rockets unable to use their MLE while Carl Landry remains a free agent, many of us had given up hope that the Rockets (after using their Bi-annual Exception on Brent Barry) have no other way to sign a free agent for anything over the league minimum. However, as Rod Thorn (an excellent GM, by the way) realized, use of trade exceptions can be instrumental in adding talent to a team's roster, provided that the player's old team is willing to play ball.

The downside to using trade exceptions in sign-and-trades are no different than for other uses off the trade exceptions: namely, (1) the Rockets would have to give up something (most likely a future second round pick and/or cash) in order to get the player's old team to do the deal; and (2) the signing, when combined with any use of the MLE, puts the team further into luxury tax territory.

If the Rockets are able to make some minor deals to adjust the roster (as Morey has indicated is imminent), perhaps a roster spot will be opened for another quality backup to add to the team's depth.

One possibility with the ~$2.3M exception generated from the Bobby Jackson deal is Quinton Ross, the Clippers' 6-6 defensive stopper. Ross is an athletic shooting guard who can defend both SGs and SFs. He is not much on the offensive end, which is why is has flown mostly under the radar of many NBA fans, but this kid is a quality backcourt defender with size. He would add a dimension to the Rockets that the team currently does not have.

(I know this part belongs in the Random Trade Thread, but I wanted to introduce or at least publicize this trade METHOD, which is why I created this thread)

Doing a deal like this (as I mentioned above) would likely cost the Rockets a second rounder. I would hope Morey wouldn't have to give up the Grizzlies' 2009 second rounder the Rockets got on draft night, though. Otherwise, it would need to be the team's 2011 second rounder (the 2009 pick goes to San Antonio in the Scola deal; the 2010 pick goes to Minnesota in the Gerald Green deal), unless the Rockets could just trade for or buy a second rounder to complete the trade. The Clippers may not have anymore room for Ross, with the additions of Eric Gordon and Mike Taylor (not to mention the signing of Baron Davis) to L.A.'s backcourt along with Cuttino Mobley, Brevin Knight and summer league standout Marcus Williams (from Arizona).

All this being said, I don't think the Rockets will pursue a deal with its trade exceptions. I don't think Les will pay the extra luxury tax unless it was for a significant player. Still, the addition of Brent Barry makes Luther Head completely expendable; and I think Ross would add a dimension to the team that no one on the roster currently could.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Good post, that is something most people don't think about

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its a good idea, but in order to make room for a new player the rockets would have to move more than just novak and luther for TE's. they would need to drop 3 players to get to a roster of 14.

i don't see that happening, unless they can't reach an agreement with landry or deke, or decide to waive harris. since i believe those 3 guys will be on the roster i think we are set with a 15 man team of:

yao-deke-dorsey
    scola-landry-hayes
    shane-greene-harris
    tmac-barry-steve
    rafer-jackson-brooks

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I know. I am a realist, and this is mostly just wishful thinking. However, I still think Quinton Ross would be ideal on the Rockets. Much better than a lot of more highly touted free agents for which many on this BBS are clamoring.

The whole point of this thread is to introduce everyone to the CONCEPT of the Rockets' ability to use their trade exceptions in a sign-and-trade scenario for free agents.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ross would be a good fit, no doubt. unfortuately, i don't see it happening this summer.

i get the idea of introducing this idea to the board. it's well worth a discussion.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Harris,but I would be happier if the Rockets could get Matt Barnes in a sign and trade with the TE. I also know it's unlikely to happen,but he could be a better shooter and possibly as good a defender as him. Greene could be brought up slowly as well.

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I like Matt Barnes as well, but I think Quinton Ross is a better fit on this Rockets squad. Ross has a little more lateral quickness than Barnes. Plus, Barnes is a SF, not a SG. Shane Battier already fills the defensive SF role on this team. Plus, I think Barnes has become a little overrated based on a strong half of one season and a good showing in the Warriors-Mavericks series in 2007. Ross could probably be had for less money, too.

As for Donte Greene, I think he has the potential to become a major contributor to the Rockets in a couple of years. Possibly even a third or fourth scorer. For that reason, any backup wings should only be signed for two years or fewer.

8. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Barnes is a decent player and I enjoyed what he did with GS when they upset Dallas but I don't know if I could handle his hideous tattoo that he has on the side of his neck. I don't know how I would like to see that every Rockets game. :p

9. hubie_30

hubie_30 Member

good post :D

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bimathug, I've been saying this type of stuff for a while, but all I get is they can't make a move or landry is tying up the money. Let me give u a example. Word on the street is the nets have been looking for a backup pg on a short contract. NJ is 5 m under the cap. How about giving them rafer for a 2nd, the use the te for williams and boone. Boone backs up Yao and Scola which cuts the cord on landry and deke. I'm not saying making deals are easy, saying what u can't do is a give up.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They might do a S&T, but likely not with the Trade Exception. Need to trim the roster a bit before you add new ones. More likely to trade our exsiting players for somone's FA.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Herrera, the reason the Rox have so mant players is because they have no versitility. Example: Scola, Landry, and now Dorsey. None are big enough or effective enough to play backup center or be the lone ranger at the 4 spot. Scola is the most complete, but struggles with longer,quicker 4's. Landry is the most explosive, but doesn't play good defense. Hayes is the best defender, but is small and terrible on offense. Dorsey is a rookie, but is kind of a mix between Landry and Hayes. Deke is the only guy behind Yao that can play center, but is a offensive liability. If the Rox Josh Boone for either te or for hayes or head, that eliminates 2 players, Deke and Landry and to a certain extent Dorsey. Because Boone can play 4/5, he plays 15 mins behind Yao and Scola, chuck is late game, defensive possession type, dorsey is developing in nbdl. So now the team has 4 guys @ 4/5 instead of possibly 6. Not to mention they would have their mle that is being held hostage right now.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I dunno. Chuck Hayes has already shown us what painfully bad shooters can do to our offense, and IMO Ross doesn't contribute as much as Hayes does.

14. Lovemachine2000

I am not high on Ross either, the guy has no offense... JR Smith, on the other hand, could possibly be had with a S&T with Denver - JR for Jackson and 2nd rounder, since Denver still needs a PG. Well, it might be too wishful of a trade. One thing I am not too worried about is JR's perceived attitude problem. I think he'll thrive as 6th man under Aldelman.

15. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You are basically proposing a trade off of Rafer and Landry for Williams, Boone and a second round pick. That would be terrible for the Rox. Niether Williams or Boone have done anything in their two years.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The thread title is Another Way to Get Free Agents (Without Using the MLE)

Players on somebody's roster is one thing, but if the guy's a FA, why would the other team do this? They could just renounce him and get the same thing. Why keep him on the roster if they're going to do that?

17. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

whats ross best offensive strength? catch and shoot?

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Barnes will be more expensive than Ross,and he is only likely to be useful as a 3 but I think Greene will take a long time to improve (we can't expect him to be a significant contributer this year). I admit Ross is more likely to share minutes with Shane but his almost complete lack of scoring ability bothers me despite his superior lateral quickness and defense.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The reason the other team would sign and trade a free agent in the context of this thread discussion is because that team would receive (a) a second round pick AND (b) a trade exception of its own. Those are two assets that the team would not have if it simply renounced its free agent.

I'm guessing that the Magic are going to be happy taking a second rounder and a $3.3M trade exception by signing and trading Keyon Dooling to the Nets, rather than letting him go for nothing. It costs Orlando nothing, yet they get something out of the deal.

20. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

give me cuttino back :)

he had personality on the court.