1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another trade idea...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TIburon, May 17, 2003.

1. TIburon

TIburon Member

I figure since everyone is throwing names out there, I would do the same...

I didn't do any salary differences between players but heres an idea from, well me...

I think of one every day but heres one I like...

New York receives:
    Kelvin Cato
    Eddie Griffin
    Moochie Norris

Houston receives:
    Michael Doleac
    Kurt Thomas
    Either Howard Eisley or Frank Williams

I'm sure some of you aren't too impressed with Eisley or Doleac for that matter but they fit what I believe are role player spots as does Kurt Thomas...

Eisley is a vet. PG/Frank Williams is a better option than Tito Maddox...

Doleac would be a security big man especially with Shaq around(could also give Collier a chance to win the backup spot-doubtful)...

Kurt Thomas would have to beat out Maurice Taylor but either way you bring in a physical veteran big man...

Kurt Thomas is the guy I like in the trade, he's gotta be in his early 30's(30-32). He can only help this team get better, definitely a solid addition to go along Yao... He can hit the 15 ft. J and rebound...

NY may get the better end of the deal with EG possibly living up to expectations but we would only see him 2 times a season... Cato would give them a big man finally, not dominating but better than what they had(well not better than Kurt Thomas but just bigger)..

Houston needs to fill in role player spots and I believe Eisley would allow Francis to move to SG more... Eisley at 6'4 can defend SG's if need be... Of course you still have Mobley but I think I'd keep Mobley over Norris, Cato and EG at this point...
    Cato was never going to be a starter in Houston again and he would only play sparingly...

NY would have to take Norris in my opinion for Houston to let go of EG and Cato...
    Outlook with new players:
    PG Francis, Eisley/Williams
    SG Mobley, Hawkins
    SF Posey, Rice, Nachbar
    PF Thomas, Taylor
    C Yao Mingh, Doleac

I like it more than adding another superstar...

main thing is keeping Posey... With our draft pick in the 2nd rd. we could go for a PG...

Just an opinion guys... I'm just trying to be realistic...

When it comes to trades I don't like trading with teams in the same conference... Like the Clippers that most want us to trade for or Utah for Malone...

2. QJammer23

QJammer23 Member

lets not and say we did

3. TIburon

TIburon Member

When I say realistic, I mean about the players we can get...

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I wouldn't do that trade, the only good person we are getting out of that is Kurt Thomas.

5. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

Michael Doleac !!!!! you got ot be kidding me!! no way !

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

im not even that patient but i say stick with griffin unless its a package deal for someone unbelievable.

i appreciate the more cinematic aspects of the nba and miss the times when the knicks were a decent team. i think they deserve labron the most

7. Sane

Sane Member

What's the opposite of a homer? Is there a word?

Man, you're SEVERELY underrating our players. EG + Cato??? You know what kind stuff we can get for them?

If they threw in their pick, I'd do it. Otherwise, no way. Kurt Thomas can't play a lick of C in the Western conference, and at PF, he picks up too many fouls too quickly.

I'd rather have MoT.

8. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I dont see those players helping our team at all. We would be better off keeping Cato, Griffin, and Norris.

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I've lost a lot of faith in Griffin in the last year, but he's still got gobs of potential. Not to labor the point, but he's only 20. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. And moving him for an aging power forward doesn't make much sense to me.

Of course, I like your idea of adding someone of Thomas' skills. He would help the Rockets, but not for that price.

10. TIburon

TIburon Member

Hey, I threw it out there and it didn't go well, oh well back to the drawing boards...

I do understand what you guys are saying but I don't want another Superstar/allstar caliber player unless he's a defensive player first and there aren't many of those(you can count them off of one hand)...

I also agree that EG and Cato for Doleac and Thomas is probably way too steep...

Oh well, sorry guys...

thanks for your comments

11. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

How about Eddie Griffin and a bag of sensimilla for Frank Williams?

12. TaiMaiShu

TaiMaiShu Member

Tweaking is not what the Rockets need. We are not good enough to just tweak ourselves a bit. We need some magor changes. Here is a trade that helps out multible teams and only includes players that need to be included. Meaning there are no fillers and stuff like Doleac just to have stuff in the trade.

Golden State trades: PF Danny Fortson (3.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 13.1 minutes)
    SG Jason Richardson (15.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 32.9 minutes)
    PF Troy Murphy (11.7 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 31.8 minutes)
    PG Gilbert Arenas (18.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 6.3 apg in 35.0 minutes)
    Golden State receives: PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    SF Lamar Odom (14.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.6 apg in 34.3 minutes)
    PG Andre Miller (13.6 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.7 apg in 36.4 minutes)
    SF Corey Maggette (16.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, -4.6 rpg, and +1.9 apg.

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    PG Steve Francis (21.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.2 apg in 41.0 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Danny Fortson (3.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17 games)
    PG Gilbert Arenas (18.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 6.3 apg in 82 games)
    PF Chris Wilcox (3.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 46 games)
    C Wang Zhizhi (4.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 41 games)
    SF Kevin Garnett (23.0 ppg, 13.4 rpg, 6.0 apg in 82 games)
    Change in team outlook: -7.1 ppg, +0.8 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Elton Brand (18.5 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 39.6 minutes)
    SF Lamar Odom (14.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.6 apg in 34.3 minutes)
    PG Andre Miller (13.6 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 6.7 apg in 36.4 minutes)
    SF Corey Maggette (16.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.3 minutes)
    PF Chris Wilcox (3.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.4 minutes)
    C Wang Zhizhi (4.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 10.1 minutes)
    L.A. Clippers receives: SG Jason Richardson (15.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 82 games)
    PF Troy Murphy (11.7 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 79 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 73 games)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    PG Troy Hudson (14.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 5.7 apg in 79 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.0 ppg, -3.9 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Minnesota trades: SF Kevin Garnett (23.0 ppg, 13.4 rpg, 6.0 apg in 40.5 minutes)
    PG Troy Hudson (14.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 5.7 apg in 32.9 minutes)
    Minnesota receives: C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    PG Steve Francis (21.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.2 apg in 81 games)
    PF Elton Brand (18.5 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 62 games)
    Change in team outlook: +6.8 ppg, +7.7 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

Clippers get similar talent that put up similar numbers for players that are locked up with small contracts. Rockets get Garnett who will be phenomenal with Arenas. Wolves get a starting competitive team that put up more numbers in points and rebounds then the original team. SF and Brand will be great there. G.S. lose two pf for one pf and a swingman which they need.

Progected line up and point, assist, rebound distribution:

Rockets:
    Arenas 16ppg 7apg 3rpg
    Posey 14ppg 4apg 5rpg
    Garnett 25ppg 5apg 11rpg
    Fortson 6ppg 2apg 9rpg
    Ming 18ppg 3apg 10rpg

This line up improves our rebounding a lot. Ming will get more shots and will help our lost of ppg there. Arenas is a better "pg" than Francis is. This is one crazy rebounding team that has many scoring options.

Timberwolves:
    Francis 21ppg 6apg 5rpg
    Wally 17ppg 4apg 4rpg
    Smith 8ppg 2apg 6rpg
    Brand 22ppg 3apg 10rpg
    Cato 7ppg 1apg 8rpg

Francis and Brand more than compensate for Hudson and Garnett. Cato adds more rebounds. This team is a lot better than the original team.

Warriors:
    Miller 15ppg 8apg 3rpg
    Maggette 16ppg 3apg 4rpg
    Odom 14ppg 5apg 6rpg
    Jamison 20ppg 4apg 8rpg
    Foyle 10ppg 1apg 7rpg

The best rebounding team in the league lost some rebounding presence. But rebounding is useless without players to put the ball in the basket. Enter Miller Maggette and Odom who can all score with ease. This is a more high scoring team then the original with Taylor to come off the bench for a spark in points.

Clippers:
    Hudson 14ppg 7apg 3rpg
    Mobley 18ppg 3apg 3rpg
    Murphy 15ppg 2apg 10rpg
    Richardson 17ppg 5apg 4rpg
    Ely/Griffen 9ppg 2apg 8rpg

This team is young. This team is talented. This team is completely on either rookie contracts or small contracts. They unload 3 potentially max contracts. In return they get a Murphy Griffen combo to make up for Brand. They get Hudson to make up for Miller. Mobley and Richardson can easily make up for the lost of Odom.

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The last couple of days I've been looking at the Knicks as a possible trading partner, and I found one deal that I believe is realistic and works for both teams.

New York Trades
    PF Kurt Thomas
    PG Charlie Ward

Houston trades
    C Kelvin Cato
    PG Moochie Norris

New York gets a center that can actually be a semi-force in the East, and one that they have reportedly asked about in the past. The Rockets get two solid veterans, one to bang down low in Thomas and a very good back-up point in Ward who can hit the three ball and has one of the best assist-to-turnover ratios in the league. To make it even better for the Rockets, Thomas' deal has only two more years left and Ward will be entering his final year, giving the Rockets a little bit of cap room in the future. Of course, the Rockets are then left with a gap behind Yao at center, but isn't Dale Davis a free agent, if so, he'd be a perfect fit. The Rockets would still have Glen Rice to try and package with someone (hopefully Mobley) to fill any other perceived holes.