1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Smith in Astros' GM post?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DOMINATOR, Aug 9, 2007.

1. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

Akhorahil's request.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/...lt=AmSHIgseuY3OJkO0cLGZpvAb0bYF?urn=mlb,41566

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

This rumor has been circulating for a little while. I guess his attendance at the game warranted it being mentioned again.

I, like many, am not a fan of Purpura. But holy crap, what in the hell would they be thinking if they hired Randy Smith as their GM.

4. leroy

leroy Member

This is probably the only way they could downgrade at the position.

Just say no to Randy Smith.

5. redgoose

redgoose Member

Did he have influence over the Tigers or Padres farm system that include the players they have today? I don't know much about the guy. If so i'd take him. Purpura screwed up the farm and maybe he could help fix it. He didn't stand much chance to have winning teams as GM of the Tigers and Padres. Those teams only win when a core group of minor leaguers come into their own at the same time. Then the teams will add a couple pieces via free agency to help them out.

6. msn

msn Member

No, he just screwed up their major league rosters with stupid, stupid trades.

7. emjohn

emjohn Member

Nepotism rarely brings about good things. I want Purpura gone, but have the sense to bring in real help.

Drayton doesn't realize how deep a hole this franchise is sliding into. Sucks that winning is only as much a priority as the business side dictates.

Evan

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

God I hope not. Tal and his son orchestrated one of the worst trades in Astros history where we gave away Caminiti and Finley for ole Operation Shutdown himself Derek Bell, Brocail, and Phil Plantier. :mad: What a screw job on the Astros.

9. Refman

Refman Member

That was a fore sale the Astros were having. That trade was meant to dump salary...not to make the team better.

10. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

Thanks for posting this Dominator. First off I'm glad some know who this guy is. I was afraid some would be overjoyed at the first sight of a former/potential GM to replace Pup rumor. I'm even happier everyone is spouting on about all these "bad" trades he made. I want to make this clear before I go on, I'd rather have Pup mess things up than this guy.

The reason I wanted this posted was to ask a question... First let me lay this out for ya. We all know he's to blame for all those "bad trades". But is he the only person to blame? Is it fair to blame just him for all of it. Some trades were to dump salary, which most teams do. Some trades were forced by an over aggressive owner and some trades were just plain bad luck.

I bring this up because of Pup... I know he is responsible. But at the end of the day, is he the only one who deserves to foot the bill? Shouldn't the Owner be just as responsible, if not more responsible. The GM can only paint the picture... in the end doesn't the owner have the final say?

11. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I forgot to mention something... For all you people concerned that the Astros might be looking at Randy Smith. NO WORRIES... The article posted on yahoo is an incomplete article.

They cut it off before it got to the point where Drayton said he wasn't looking for anyone to replace Pup. Or rather he said he wasn't looking for anyone for the GM position. So who knows he could sign him up... just not as a GM. shrugs.

It also went on to say that this was just a family catching a baseball game together. Family visit kind of thing.

12. yaopao

yaopao Member

Usually you can trade solid in-prime players for good prospects in said salary dumps.

13. Zac D

Zac D Member

Derek Bell and Ricky Gutierrez were both integral parts of division-winning clubs.

14. msn

msn Member

Caminiti was an MVP and an integral part of the division-winning club that kicked our asses and went to the WS. Finley had an off-year that year but was productive for several years and won a WS in 2001 in Arizona. Ricky Gutierrez was integral only in that he was the starting SS and we finally had a SS who was either a butcher (Orlando Miller) or a sub-.200 hitter (Bogar). Derrick Bell had two solid years and beyond that was a GIDP machine with a bad attitude. That trade did *not* propel the Astros into the playoffs, they made the playoffs in spite of it.

Horrible trade. Horrible, horrible, horrible trade.

15. Zac D

Zac D Member

Oh, no doubt, awful trade. But:

"Usually you can trade solid in-prime players for good prospects in said salary dumps."

We got a couple good ones. We just gave up a lot more than that.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Maybe they didn't know Caminiti was going to roid up.

17. Major

Major Member

On the flipside, Caminiti was 31 yrs old when traded, and most years with us, he had an OPS under 0.800. His final year was his best with an OPS of 0.850. Basically, at his very best, he was the equivalent of Luke Scott from an offensive standpoint. Finley, at age 29, was sub-0.800 OPS guy. His best year with the Astros was also the year before he was traded, when he had an OPS of 0.750.

Granted, there is a dome effect to consider, but it's not like these guys were all-world players or anything. Caminiti had to do steroids to become the 1.000 OPS guy he's remembered as and Finley happened to have his best season the very same year, also for the Padres. Coincidence? Maybe, but seems a bit strange. He went from hitting 10 HRs in 1995 to being a 30-HR hitter starting in 1996. Sounds like steroids to me.

18. msn

msn Member

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like the Joe Morgan trade, but it was still awful.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

But Randy was GM of the Padres then. If it was so lopsided in their favor, wouldn't this kind of be an endorsement for Randy?

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

RANDY SMITH

Draft Picks

1st Round - Padres

* 1994: 3rd overall P Dustin Hermanson - Kent State University
    * 1995: 2nd overall C Ben Davis - Malvern Prep High School

Other Notable Selections - Padres

* 1994: 2nd round (37th overall) 3B Troy Glaus - Carlsbad High School Did Not Sign

1st Round - Tigers

* 1996: 6th overall P Seth Greisinger - University of Virginia
    * 1997: 1st overall P Matt Anderson - Rice University
    * 1998: 14th overall P Jeff Weaver - Fresno State University
    * 1998: 34th overall P Nate Cornejo - Wellington High School
    * 1999: 3rd overall C Eric Munson - University of Southern California
    * 2000: 8th overall P Matt Wheatland - Rancho Bernardo High School
    * 2001: 11th overall P Kenny Baugh - Rice University
    * 2001: 32nd overall 2B Mike Woods - Southern University
    * 2002: 8th overall SS Scott Moore - Cypress High School

Other Notable Selections - Tigers

* 1998: 2nd round (57th overall) C Brandon Inge - Virginia Commonwealth University
    * 2002: 3rd round (80th overall) OF Curtis Granderson - University of Illinois
    * 2002: 11th round (320th overall) P Joel Zumaya - Bonita Vista High School

Significant Trades

Padres

* June 24, 1993 traded Gary Sheffield and Rich Rodriguez to the Florida Marlins for Trevor Hoffman, Jose Martinez and Andres Berumen
    * July 18, 1993 traded Fred McGriff to the Atlanta Braves for Melvin Nieves, Donnie Elliott and Vince Moore
    * July 26, 1993 traded Greg Harris and Bruce Hurst to the Colorado Rockies for Brad Ausmus, Doug Bochtler and Andy Ashby
    * December 28, 1994 traded Derek Bell, Doug Brocail, Ricky Gutierrez, Phil Plantier, Craig Shipley and Pedro Martinez to the Houston Astros for Ken Caminiti, Steve Finley, Andujar Cedeno, Brian Williams, Sean Fesh and Roberto Petagine
    * July 31, 1995 traded Andy Benes and Greg Keagle to the Seattle Mariners for Marc Newfield and Ron Villone

Tigers

* November 16, 1995 traded David Wells to the Cincinnati Reds for Mark Lewis, C.J. Nitkowski and Dave Tuttle
    * March 22, 1996 traded Cade Gaspar, Todd Steverson and Sean Bergman to the San Diego Padres for Raul Casanova, Melvin Nieves and Richie Lewis
    * June 18, 1996 traded John Flaherty and Chris Gomez to the San Diego Padres for Brad Ausmus, Andujar Cedeno and Russ Spear
    * July 31, 1996 traded Cecil Fielder to the New York Yankees for Ruben Sierra and Matt Drews
    * July 31, 1996 traded Greg Gohr to the California Angels for Damion Easley
    * December 10, 1996 traded Brad Ausmus, Jose Lima, Trever Miller, C.J. Nitkowski and Daryle Ward to the Houston Astros for Doug Brocail, Brian Hunter, Todd Jones and Orlando Miller
    * November 18, 1997 traded Travis Fryman to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Gabe Alvarez, Joe Randa and Matt Drews
    * November 2, 1999 traded Frank Catalanotto, Justin Thompson, Francisco Cordero, Gabe Kapler, Bill Haselman and Alan Webb to the Texas Rangers for Juan Gonzalez, Gregg Zaun and Danny Patterson
    * December 11, 2000 traded Brad Ausmus, Nelson Cruz and Doug Brocail to the Houston Astros for Roger Cedeno, Chris Holt and Mitch Meluskey
    * July 28, 2001 traded Todd Jones to the Minnesota Twins for Mark Redman
    * December 11, 2001 traded Juan Encarnacion and Luis Pineda to the Cincinnati Reds for Dmitri Young
    * July 5, 2002 in a three team trade sent Jeff Weaver to the New York Yankees and received Jeremy Bonderman, Carlos Pena and Franklyn German from the Oakland A's

Significant Signings

Padres

* April 5, 1995 signed Fernando Valenzuela as a Free Agent from the Philadelphia Phillies

Tigers

* November 1, 1997 signed Fernando Rodney as a amateur free agent
    * December 9, 1997 signed Luis Gonzalez as a free agent from the Houston Astros
    * November 13, 1998 signed Dean Palmer as a free agent from Kansas City Royals