1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Another day in America] John Henson racially profiled at jewelry store

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it's not just from parents - it's from all directions, including society. It's not just "black" culture - it's culture. And you just say the problem is for black parents to solve who don't believe that success is achievable for them for legitimate reasons.

My parents, my teachers and many other people in my life. Then when white teachers told me I couldn't do things in high school - that I wasn't creative just a good test taker because that's what asian kids do, I didn't believe them.

The problem is that they focus on only discipline. There are many problems with inner city schools. They don't get the best teachers and it's very demanding as the teachers don't get support. They have to also work with far more kids than a suburban school, and in less comfortable surroundings. The teachers are burnt out quicker. The parents are usually working two jobs just to pay the bills, and yes, there are parental issues, but you are excusing the problem and justifying the issue. You are saying it's ok that blacks fail because their parents fail - that's what people mean by there is a systemic problem. It's a cycle that needs to be broken. That cycle started when? It goes back generations. Race is relevant for that reason.

Do it. Not to prove anything but just do it because a kid could use your positive support and encouragement - you can change a life. Do it.
    This simply is not true.

And black leaders are saying to get that chance you have to break the systemic racism. They are trying to do that. Al Sharpton is not the only black leader - there are plenty others that the media ignores.

So then how do you fix the problem for kids? They don't have parents who have the time or know-how to teach their kids to succeed. How do you fix the problem?

#381 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

OMG, you know how to use Google. Good for you. It does nothing to help black children who are taught that hey cant succeed. People like you are part of the problem rather than the cure. It is astonishing how naive you are.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Sweet Lou, we both admit this is an issue. Rather than go point by point for your answers to my post, what do you think is the solution??? I say t is a black cultural issue. You obviously disagree with me on how to fix the issue what is your proposition to fix it??? Why are black kids less successful than their counterpoints. I say it is cultural in this day and age and you think differently even though we were raised similarly.

#383 cml750, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Immigrants out perform most american in general. Hell even their child (people like me) generally out perform their peers.

Immigrant parents know another level of poverty that most americans can't even imagine. The importance of education is taught to us (their children) from a young age.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Not enough time has passed? Even Japan got over the atomic bomb within a few decades. The Jews got over the Holocaust faster than it seems it's going to take black people to ever get over slavery. None of you have living relatives that were slaves. Someone like Bill Russell dealt with racism as a child. He's 81 years old now. That was real racism where your life could be in danger or it was truly hurtful emotionally especially in the South and Midwest. What do you have to deal with today? Words? Stereotypes? Give me a break...Is there some old white guy putting a shotgun to your dad's face and telling him to wait in line till all the white men are done? That's the life Bill Russell grew up in. None of you lived any kind of life that old or now dead black people had to endure. Quit living off their pain and using it as an excuse. You're several generations removed from that now. It takes 1 generation for East and West Asians to find financial success in this country. You don't need another century to get over your black's against the world mentality and that's what the problem really is. It's a mentality issue in America among blacks and a lack of community issue. You can start that change any time you want. No one's out to get you.

BTW with the Native American stuff and people saying i don't know. My grand mother was full blood. And i'm not some white guy that claims Native blood either, i actually look the part and can walk into any tribe and fit right in. Ive dealt with a lot of racism in my life. But they're just words. I got over racist jokes and started laughing with them when i was a child.

1 person likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Hence both of you sustain the 'model minority' myth. I'm struggling very hard right now and can't seem to escape the quicksand beneath my feet to catch a breath of air or see the daylight. I have no dignity left...

8. cml750

cml750 Member

Give me a frigin break. Wow, the straw man is strong in this thread.:rolleyes:

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Hell I'm not even 'Black' but I see their struggles here and there and can pinpoint the systematic racism against them. But at the same time as an Asian, I know I'm super marginalized and would be an easy target of murder without a mention the Sunday obituary. The truth is you benefit from looking 'White' and have privileges from that aspect.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is cultural but it is not just "black" culture, it is American culture which includes black culture.

I've seen kids who had a dead-beat coked up dad who was abusive and then f'd off turn it around. Did those kids work hard? Of course they did. But that's not how they overcame the odds. You see, they got support. They were lucky to find an environment where they had supportive people to help them build the self-belief in themselves, to have a trusted mentor to fill that gap, to help them believe they can overcome the incredible challenge in front of them, by letting them be a kid.

Then the hard work comes. Your mind has to be right before you can commit to that. An immigrant family already believes that - that's why they come to America in the first place. Lazy people don't immigrate to America - they stay in the country they are from. It's those obsessed with success that come here. Those chasing dreams.

You can't just ask a kid to dream, you have to help them get there. That's the solution. And it happens through trusted relationships.

Don't dismiss racism though CML. It is real and it is systematic. You have to be a part of their lives to understand they aren't playing the victim card. Those stats are true. There is huge bias, and it's not just from whites - it's from everyone. It's truly a cycle.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Honest question and before the race card is pulled and my words twisted, i'm not saying i want black people out of this country. I simply want to know why there has never been a mass movement in the black community to return to Africa? Is there no interest in their roots? Imagine well educated black leaders starting a movement for immigration back to the homeland. They could do so much good and they'd be a powerful ally for USA. Dude, black americans would dominate Africa.

I mean...at least you have a real home to return to though. If this country hurts you so much and holds you back, why never return to the home of your ancestors? Many groups of people who were uprooted from their home eventually returned even if they were several generations removed from their land and weren't even born there. It seems black american free'd slaves and their children are the only ones who stayed compared to situations with Jews or many different examples in Asia. They always return except black americans.

Also why don't more black people do DNA testing like 23andme.com There are many great tools to find out more about what region your ancestors came from. I always see black americans talking about the Egyptians were black and the real jews were black from ethiopia with so much pride etc etc but so what? Chance are you are from west Africa ancestry. Nothing to do with Egyptians and Ethiopians are all of very mixed genetics. That's like Germans/Guals rooting and proudly claiming Rome just because they are white. West and NE Africa were completely different civilizations. These are the lands black americans need to rediscover. And if not to move, to at least visit and learn where you came from. What language was spoken etc.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

I will not argue this point as long as you do not argue that the opportunities exist if black people or really anyone pursues them.

That is a cultural issue. I will do my part as opportunities are presented.

There is no cure for racism but it is much less prevalent than it used to be. There will always be idiots.

Sweet Lou, I have actually gained a little bit of respect for you in this thread. I do not know what the answer to this big problem is but I do know that black leaders need to step in and change the narrative from victim status to opportunity status. That is not to say they should forget their history but it should be a motivation rather than a deterrent to success.

#392 cml750, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  13. dmoneybangbang

Because it holds some truth.....

The undeniable fact is that poverty is a vicious cycle to break out of for everyone. Blacks have been mostly in poverty since before Jim Crow was repealed and that's a hard hill to climb out of.

However, there are many different people who can make it into America and within a generation their children will be in college. There's quite a bit more moving parts then blacks get the most racism.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I see certain people have no idea what Racial Slavery did to the psyche of the entire world. Not only that, but the days of old timey racial science that some people still parade around today.

If you want to know a big reason why it is that other minority groups are treated differently than African-Americans. Start there.

Dig into the history of it, the sickness it has become to the point where countries that can deny their african roots will do so readily because it's better to be anything other than black.

15. dmoneybangbang

There have been black movements to go back Africa.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

I hope that never happens. We would lose a lot of very intelligent people with a lot of potntial. I hope cultural changes happen so that the potential of many black people is realized. It would benefit the country tremendously.

17. dmoneybangbang

The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc. are all very "racist" against everyone else and each other without having to deal with the Western styled slave trade. You don't need black people around to be incredibly racist or commit genocide, at least not looking at the big picture.

We are in a time period (although it seems like it's wrapping up) where it's still an Anglo-centric world. Don't worry though, you can find a period where almost every "race" was on top.

18. amaru

amaru Member

1) There have been many movements for descendants of the trans-atlantic slave trade to re-patriotate Africa. Marcus Garvey was in the process of starting a ship line that would provide rides to that end. Liberia was found, on land that was already occupied, as a home for freed slaves. Many anti-slavery advocates didn't wanted africans to be enslaved, but they didn't want them free in the U.S either.

2) In the case of "black americans", many have been taught that they are not African. They don't view Africa as a part of who they are, even though they see it every time they look in the mirror. You'd be more likely to get the average black american to call himself a "*****" before he'd call himself an african.

3) DNA testing can be cost prohibitive for most people. I have had 2 lines of my DNA tested by an African/black owned company called African Ancestry. I am currently awaiting my results.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont find your thought racist, I find it ignorant. There is no "home" to go back to. They are American and America is their home. They are not African-American. There are many black people who have deeper roots in America than many whites, nevermind the asians and hispanics. My roots may go back as far as 150 years ago. This puts most blacks more American than I am. I have never once considered myself anything but American.

I can't reiterate enough how ignorant the term African-American is, and in my opinion, borderline racist.

1 person likes this.
  20. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree!! African Americans are Americans. This is their home.