1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sounds like this school has a bad reputation, based off very early reports I'm reading. Hopefully this is gang violence and limited to a select crowd.

Extremely saddening that I even have to type that. Hoping that a school shooting is limited to gang members and a police officer only. SMDH.

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Land of the freedom to be killed by guns randomly and frequently.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a sad sign of this country that as we get back to inperson classes we also get back to school shootings..

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Gun deaths are rarely random. Frequency is a matter of what you use for comparison. Murder of all types, regardless of weapon, doesn't crack the top 10 causes of death in the United States. I couldn't quickly find a list that extends down to murder, but it is about 1/3 as common as the #10 cause of death (suicide). In that respect, it seems relatively uncommon. On the other hand, there are on average about 44 murders per day, or one every 32 minutes or so, which is pretty frequent. I wouldn't think of it as the defining feature of the country.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The social, mental, and economic devastation from covid is going to cause this Summer to be one for the ages for random gun violence.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Highschool is said to be on drugs with an outstanding warrant.

Wait, am I doing this right?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya obesity, lack of access to healthcare to the point of gofundmes, anti-intellectualism and machismo defining characteristics of this country.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Indianapolis police confirmed at least eight people died following a shooting at a FedEx facility on Thursday evening. Multiple others were injured during the incident. Police said the suspected shooter also died at the scene. The identification of the shooter and their motive is currently unknown.”
    AP

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Appears he was using an AR type weapon, um, I mean a "scary weapon"...

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/0...ce=articleShare#click=https://t.co/UYXx7QDFUx

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I wonder if those background checks your employer requires are the same or better than the background check to purchase a gun.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure what Gym Jordan was on about yesterday. Clearly, Americans are returning to their normal liberties.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horrible but this is pretty much the norm for this country..

Is there any word if this was a work related shooting? That was my first thought when I heard about it.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

America is trash if they don’t do something about this. It is only a matter of time before someone crazy/smart/prepared carries something out where it kills hundreds of people.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just another casualty of the Second Amendment nutters.

16. Buck Turgidson

In fun Texas news, the State Senate has passed legislation to do away with training and licensing requirements to carry handguns in public.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/15/texas-constitutional-carry/

B-Bob likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

more useless thoughts and prayers incoming, Congress will do their usual little back and forth, nothing will change, and then we’ll wait for the next major mass shooting to happen soon...rinse and repeat

Tommyboy and B-Bob like this.
  18. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Commentary from the purest. Is this the “Kiss of Death” for those opposing better gun control laws?

@tinman

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mario Elie should be ok
    Because Houston kids aren’t lunatics like their parents in other places

20. HTM

HTM Member

I see cynical people on the internet make sarcastic tweets but I never read any proposals that would eliminate these shootings. Unless you're seriously talking about making our society largely gun free, you're wasting everyone's time. I don't see many willing to go there. The other half-measures won't solve the problem.