1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

This occurrence could have been stopped if we cared more about ex military once they return from war.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's so sad that this so-called leader would change a law that possibly could have prevented this form happening all because of his ego and hate filled heart for President Obama.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump can just sign an executive order that changes our understanding of the second amendment.

I don't really disagree. But we aren't doing anything. Every shooting, there's a chorus from conservatives and other gun rights advocates that this is a mental health problem. Where the hell is the mental health money? Shouldn't there be major legislation being debated in Congress right now about how we can dramatically increase mental healthcare for those that need it? Republicans still have Congress and the Presidency right now, so they can pass it before the year is out. Even if it takes more time, I feel pretty confident that the new Democratic House will cooperate on expanded mental healthcare. The states have their budget problems, but is anyone making a move to find a way the states can finance more mental health? I'm seeing nothing. The only legislator I want to hear "mental health" from is the sponsor on a mental health bill. Put up or shut up.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Stop sending young kids to war.

Republicans are all about the "fake" patriotism BS. They want to cut funding for VA, mental health, social safety nets for veterans.

SWTsig, Nippystix and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

Not to mention, the cops proceeded with no further action for a mental health disturbance.

People will always have an excuse... "oh, I had a bad day" "I was stressed at work" to get first, second and more chances. In most cases the family will support them. Just saying better mental health care isn't going to do anything because it needs to be taught on a far wider scale. Prevention.

Also, government needs to spend more money monitoring and taking down the parts of the internet that sell these modifications and have hate rhetoric. Anything to justify killing. The whole free speech thing isn't a legitimate defense.

Need to be stricter with kids in all forms of education in regards to toxic male feelings, entitlement and a need for violence. A lot of young men... of all races... genuinely don't see anything wrong with these shootings and see it as part of modern life.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Cut the defense budget and invest in those who have been protecting our country when they come home.

7. omgTHEpotential

This is unthinkable. It seems like mass shootings are becoming a part of the American culture and the government isn't even close to doing anything about it. Obviously, I could be wrong because I'm not an American and I don't live in the States. But this is just what it looks like from the outside looking in...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Nope, that is a pretty spot on summary. Unfortunately.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

They’re overtaking baseball as America’s pastime.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another WHITE Terrorist.

So, let me get this straight, if Guns are not the problem, but PEOPLE are the problem, then why would we want PEOPLE to have guns?

DD

SWTsig likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Remember "bump stocks" that were the one thing trump came out of the Parkland mass shooting in the spring? They are still legal (supposedly a law to make them illegal is still in process).

12. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...looks that way from the inside, too...

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's tons of common sense gun laws that could be implemented, and plenty of models to pick and choose from from other countries ("but we're America!! We make up our rules!! It won't work here cause America!!") . Not that they'd all stop this.

This is a deeply ingrained cultural issue, which will take decades to "fix", but that clock won't start ticking until you start making changes.

Personally, I'd implement VERY harsh and strict gun laws. I would require multiple levels and many months or years of licensing and classes, etc. before one is allowed to own a gun... and beyond, but that's just me.

At this point, I think these threads should probably just be about RIPs and short snippets.

Meaning...

Me: I think American gun (firearm) laws are weak.
    You: I disagree

/end

We know where it goes otherwise.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. omgTHEpotential

Just watched a youtube video on what a bump stock is and how it works... Crazy.

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

Disagree.

The government has to do a LOT to make every mass shootings to go away one by one and become another day after another day.
    It takes huge amount of propaganda work, years of brainwash and tons of behind scene lobby operations to mute its people, the perpetual victims.
    No other country can do a better job.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Poor dog died in overhead cabinet on a United airline flight earlier this year. Immediate action by congress.

The gop holds power and can do something. They could pass a universal bkground check that 90% support. They could pass new restriction for the mentally ill. Clearly they value gun rights to an extreme.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is there good reason why those suffering from PTSD still have legal access to guns? I believe this is up to local laws, but why wouldn’t we disallow this until treated successfully?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ther is nothing we restrict mentally ill people from doing.

If something requires more mental cognition, there illness restricts them. For instance they can't be doctors cause their illness wont let them. It would really be a major constitutional issue.

Secondly thats just mentally disabled people Illness requires a judgement from someone.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So a military vet with ptsd cant protect themself cause they damaged themself fighting to protect that right.

Its not just ptsd people flipping out and plenty ptsd people don't flip out.