1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Again, these kids didn't have these guns legally. That's normal and plays right into the Republican argument. Whatever you feel about gun rights you start to really trample on rights. I agree that the federal background checks should be expanded to all transactions but mental health and criminal history is very thorough and fair

2. Nook

Nook Member

That doesn’t mean a damn thing.

There are more handguns than people in the USA.

Handguns are readily and easily available and go for as low as $50 a piece on the street.

It’s not an issue in places like Japan, Germany, UK and other first world countries because of how hard they are to get legally.

There are consequences for allowing so many handguns in the country. The consequence is high violent crime rates and homicides in the USA.

There is nothing in the Constitution that guarantees you the right to handguns. Further- there is nothing that prohibits limiting the amount manufactured and heavily taxing those that want to own them. They are dangerous - you should have to keep active and in effect insurance on every gun you own, and they should have to get new tags every year like vehicles. Don’t feel like paying several hundred dollars a year for up to date registration? Don’t want to pay several thousand dollars a year for insurance? Then give up your handgun.

I also don’t want to hear about the sanctity of a document that felt black men were only worth 60% of a white man and did not guarantee women the right to vote.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You need to do more research. Start reading about the different laws in different states, the loopholes for private sales and online sales, and the ways certain staAlso, you say Democrats, but the majority of Americans want more.
    I'm not wasting my time discussing gun issues any more with you. We agree on one thing though. Mental healthcare is very underfunded, just like social services. Our Texas GOP, as most other GOP politicians could care less. Loose gun laws, oil and businesses will always be their priority over health and people, and saving lives.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Again None of that would have stopped the Kansas City shooting.

You're too smart and not tied to politics to loose sight that legal owners aren't the problem. .

As far as how many guns there are that cat is out of the bag but how many guns are around isn't the problem. It only takes one for the nnext murder

When limiting gun protection starts to finally trickle down to guns in hands, guns bought illegally might be more expensive on the street. . So the price from $50 to $150, who can't round up $250?

When the lega gun owning l white male law abiding citizen flips out and kills wife, who gives afuq if he had 30 guns or 3, it only took one to kill his wife

Limiting gun protection hqving real affects is a long way off

*only said he is white is a factor in this debate.
    You're too good to try to make the constitution said black people weren't citizens so it can be wrong argument

It's not that's its a right, it's that it's hard enough any regulation. It's religion to these people, I don't want to debate things that won't happen.

This country was headed towards Civil Rights for all from day one because it took war but at the end you couldn't always deny blacks are people

There isn't that type of dynamic in gun rights. Every non criminal can have fifty guns, and gun violence isn't committed by even 1% of just gun owners let alone total population.

I

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm with you 100%.

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Can you at least tell me how you can make a law against a person not diagnosed with a mental problem cannot have a gun because they have an undiagnosed mental disorder?:

That's completely ridiculous. You're the one rambling between prevention and punishment so I'm the one wasting time

7. Nook

Nook Member

No.

This is really simple.

The USA has more handguns than any other first world country by far - and the USA has a murder by handgun problem far beyond any other first world nation.

The USA can do something about it and has chosen not to. Also - starting will still have long term impacts on fatalities.

As for assault rifles - they are a problem and can be addressed as well, but they are not near the issue that handguns are.

When the USA decides that quality of life and the security of its citizens is more important than a fat white man keeping 20-30 guns in his basement - we will do something about it , like we did with voting for blacks and women. Right now, enough of us don’t care.

deb4rockets and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You might want to check Missouri laws about kids and guns. Just because they can't purchase them doesn't mean they can't use them legally without parent supervision. Before you embarrass yourself about your claims about mental health and criminal history being very fair, you should read up on people who fell through a weak and lazy reporting system and innocent people died. There are plenty of examples. Let's start with a couple recent events...the army reservist was recently committed to a mental health facility after threatening to shoot up a military base this summer, and then later accused of killing 18 people and injuring 13 in Maine. The Lakewood shooter was another prime example.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Can your 100% explain how that would have stopped the Kansas City shooting?

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not explaining anything else to you. It's pointless. You obviously don't care enough to even research gun laws and statistics, or see how smarter gun laws make other countries safer.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[
    How many guns someone isn't the issue in their crime.

If the federal government decided people can only have 3 guns and required everyone to turn in all guns to get down to three the illegal guns are still there.

Guns aren't lost to the streets by legal owners People keep guns safely

It will eventually make street guns more expensive. I understand you argument r but guns hit the streets through theft or other shenanigans

But you're suggesting things that aren't happening so don't get high and mighty about what you want

I want no more murders, I win

#3931 pgabriel, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've already said the federal requirements should be be expanded. I have never claimed to know a lot about this, I just wanted assault rifles banned

The Maine shooting is complicated in what law enforcement could do apparently but they at least were told by the family, family would handle it.

On the Lakewood shootings it's ridiculous but this is Texas. But that's that's an issue of the the current system needs to be strengthened.

Ideally these people shouldn't have had the weapons even under Texas law. That's not about new new standards that's about enforcing current standards.

No I didn't know how complicated it is enforcing what we have but yes that's sad and shameful and if those things can happen and why someone would want a lady like the Lakewood shooter to have guns is beyond me.

The system we have failed, gun rights people want that, that's the fight.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many of the proposals suggested here would
    Help address gang and inner city crime and not just mass shootings. Firearms used by gangs mostly were legally purchased weapons that were either stolen or resold. Better tracking of how gangs are getting those weapons can cut down on the availability of them. Greater liability requirements on gun owners will compel more gun owners to secure their weapons so they don’t get stolen or misused and reduce straw sales.

No solution though is perfect and without an overall change in culture. What we can and should be doing is making gradual moves to reduce the availability of firearms, remove them from those with a history of mental
    Illness and criminal behavior, and reduce the lethality of single weapons.

Nook likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Irresponsible gun owners in make it easy for criminals to get their hands on guns illegally.

25,000 guns were stolen from vehicles in Texas’ four largest urban areas — Houston, Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio — in the past three years.

“Leaving a firearm unsecured in your vehicle is not just negligence. It’s an open invitation to chaos, and every responsible gun owner must recognize that,” said Esparza, the chief federal prosecutor for a district that encompasses San Antonio, Austin, Waco and Del Rio and extends west to El Paso. “Don’t make it any easier for criminals. Carry with a plan and understand that a locked car is not a locked safe.”

“It is not an issue of gun rights” but of public safety, Esparza said.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/article/guns-stolen-cars-san-antonio-police-injured-18600438.php

Nook likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Nearly 30,000 firearms have been stolen from motor vehicles in Tennessee in the decade since Republican lawmakers voted to allow gun owners to keep their weapons in their cars and trucks without any penalty for those who leave them unsecured.

Republican sponsor: 'Listen, freedom comes with some dangers. That's one of the things that made our country great.'

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/n...vehicles-since-tennessee-gop-relaxed-gun-laws

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

In an average year, gun violence in America kills 40,000 people, wounds twice as many, and has an economic consequence to our nation of $557 billion.

Taxpayers, survivors, families, and employers pay an average of $7.79 million daily in health care costs, including immediate and long-term medical and mental health care, plus patient transportation/ambulance costs related to gun violence, and lose an estimated $147.32 million per day related to work missed due to injury or death.

American taxpayers pay $30.16 million every day in police and criminal justice costs for investigation, prosecution, and incarceration.

Employers lose an average of $1.47 million on a daily basis in productivity, revenue, and costs required to recruit and train replacements for victims of gun violence.

Society loses $1.34 billion daily in quality-of-life costs from the suffering and lost well-being of gun violence victims and their families.

The average annual cost for overall gun violence in the United States is $1,698 for every resident in the country. However, in states with stronger gun laws, the economic toll of gun violence is less than half this amount, whereas in states where gun laws are weaker and gun injuries and fatalities are higher, gun violence costs residents double or more this amount per person.

https://everytownresearch.org/report/the-economic-cost-of-gun-violence/

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love living where we live in the US. I am fully aware that there are much worse places to live in the US.

But the two things that really concern me are the threat of random gun violence and the threat from drugs.

Like most other parents, I love my children more than anything.

They are in a school and a city which feel very safe. But will it be safe to allow them to go to a concert when they get a bit older? In Europe, we had terror attacks from Islamists at concerts (e.g. the suicide bombing at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester and the terror attack at the Bataclan in Paris). In the US, it feels like it's not even just terror attacks by Islamists, but just random crazies having such easy access to guns that the threat is everywhere. Could be in a mall, at a concert, at a college, basically at any crowded place.

As parents, we just want our children to be safe and happy. What can we even do?

And if it is not gun violence, then you read something like this - who knows if the kid even had any idea what he was drinking.

It doesn't even matter if you have all the money in the world and can send your kid to the best schools...this kind of horrible crap lurks everywhere.

Sad state of affairs.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@deb4rockets

Unfortunately the gun thefts happen in states with weak gun laws and I don't mean to sound defeatist on some of this but these are problems that unfortunately is a very difficult but the information is great.

Tennessee and Texas aren't gonna tighten their gun laws. It's like saying we need a Democrat governor in Texas. It's just not happening but the information is appreciate.

An underlying theme is that most of the gun deaths are still due to people having fireiarms illegally. On issue like the gun thefts, all you can present the information to voters and say do you want lax gun laws and if that's what they want then i don't know what tell you.

On your 40,000 gun deaths, I had to look this up because there aren't close to that many murders annually and apparently suicide accounts for more than half of gun deaths

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, terrible.