1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also the revolutionaries wouldn't have won if not for the other superpower of the time, the French, not just providing aid but also blockading the British using some of most advanced weapons of the time, fast and powerful warships.

It's also notable that if small arms somehow so effective to stop tyranny Ukraine wouldn't be asking us for things like HiMars and F-16's. In fact if I recall you are very critical of the Biden administration for not sending them heavy and advanced weapons systems instead of just saying we should send them assault rifles since here you think that is a great way of stopping tyranny.

Agent94, mtbrays and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 2nd amendment existed at the time and didn't prevent it.

Also the idea that some authority is trying to hide knowledge of the incident happening is laughable.

Agent94 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No thanks, I'm no extremist. I am just hoping people who believe in democracy use their votes to keep that sociopath wannabe Dictator from getting power. Maybe he'll end up in prison. Who knows, that dude could just rage himself into a heart attack or stroke before then. He's always angry and ranting and raving because he's finally is having to face his crimes in court.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the colonists?

5. basso

Supporting Member

insh'allah, and the creek don't rise.

6. basso

Supporting Member

you should research the drones, and the Ukrainian's development thereof.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Which has to do with the 2nd amendment preventing government tyranny... How?

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ssshhhh let him cook. He's got himself in a pickle now so he's falling back on some tried and true methods.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not arguing that mass shootings aren't a growing problem. Stats show that the country's murder rate is improving. Mass shootings are increasing so the argument is that assault rifles are helping drive that problem. That's my point

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It takes an ever vigilant news cycle to make me depressed over a shooting (bravo mass media, bravo), but how tf can a joyous day full of the same group of fans turn into a mass casualty event?

There isn't even anything going on at KC. Aren't they all related on the down low or some **** like that?

11. basso

Supporting Member

that it doesn't take a howitzer to beat a tank.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I understand and agree with your point. I'm saying that stats aren't convincing when it comes to something as dear as the 2A to people. They will have to feel it personally before being open to change. I'm also making the point that the shift will likely be more sudden and abrupt rather than gradual. It will eventually happen once it builds up to a boiling point of misery and pain, if you will.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It doesn’t but howitzers do help it a lot. Does this mean though that you’ve changed your opinion on supplying Ukraine heavy and advanced weapons system?

14. Agent94

Agent94 Member

If those kids at Kent State had guns everything would have gone perfectly :rolleyes:
    What a dumb attempt at justifying gun ownership. This particular brand of dumbass seems to get aroused at the fantasy that they can form a militia and take on the government.
    This isn’t 1776. Your and your red neck buddies with AR15s aren’t taking out drones and tanks.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

O
    Mmmm Kay. And I'm still trying to figure out about all the government authorities imposing their power to cover up the Kent State massacre. Also why it was seemingly put forward as a reason for the second amendment which was already in place at the time and didn't stop it. Nor is the second amendment a reason why it hasn't happened after that.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...as-city-shooting-why-were-they-so-mad.322420/

@Amiga
    @rocketsjudoka

This Is a major reason Democrats fail on gun control. It's optics . If the only crimes you talk about on gun control are crazy white dudes and their AR15s then no one is gonna listen.

Therefore talk about inner city violence improving and mass shootings getting worse, and you can focus on assault rifles instead of appeasing the culture warriors by saying yeah we're addressing all violence when you're talking about assault rifles because liberals don't like talking about inner city violence because they right or wrong [I don't want to argue about it] dont want to seem like they're blamingthe inner city. But the elephant in the room can't be avoided

We have no problem pointing out crazy white dudes being white but you will get crucified pointing out these kids are black, and there are arguments for both sides pointing out these are more black kids but if you don't want to in the guns debate then just stress that inner city violence is improving

Edit: this is a legitimate complaint by the culture warriors, liberals want to address fixing everyday crime by spreading wealth (I agree with that, I'm not the conservative people think I've become) and they wanna fix mass shootings by taking gun rights ( obviously they want less guns everywhere but that's the optics). So right or wrong it's legitimate in its.factual truth

#3896 pgabriel, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I have Tinman on ignore due to massive spamming (I don't have anyone else on ignore), so I didn't see that thread.

As mentioned earlier, arguments that once led to fistfights now, with the ease of access to guns and their prevalence, often escalate to shootings. Unfortunately, this trend is likely to become even more commonplace.

Inner-city gun violence has been discussed here in the past. The response I observed was that it's predominantly viewed as an issue affecting the inner city, particularly impacting black teens and adults, which doesn't resonate as much with other demographics. This perspective isn't sufficient for individuals who consider guns integral to their lives, making them less likely to support new gun regulations. Some posters here have outright stated that stance.

Incidents like school, mall, church, or random shootings, regardless of location or time, affect all of us. These occurrences are more likely to garner support for gun regulation, even from those who cherish guns as a part of their lives. While there has been public support for more regulation, minimal progress in enacting new regulations has been made due to the difficulty of passing laws in Congress. This is especially challenging when representatives staunchly oppose any form of gun regulation (consider politicians proudly displaying AR15s). The inherent challenges in our political system, coupled with an intense gun culture, make it exceedingly difficult to advance gun regulations. A cultural shift is necessary, and I believe it can only happen when there is enough pain and grief among the general population due to gun violence to overcome the inherent distrust of government regulation on something that holds symbolic and emotional significance.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disturbed and/or ignorant minds are difficult to reason with. They are easy to manipulate though, when it comes to being fed propaganda and lies. The GOP and NRA use that to their advantage. Greed and money drive the politicians and NRA. It will never be about common sense or facts with them when it comes to guns. For them to fight stricter gun laws, requiring gun safety classes, stricter background checks, etc.. says it all.

Many Americans fighting tooth and nail against change have a lot of different reasons. Maybe some are so damn paranoid about this "imaginary" army coming to get them. Maybe some are brainwashed with the "they want to take your guns" propaganda. Maybe some don't want stricter background checks because they wouldn't qualify. Maybe some are too stupid to pass a gun safety class or practical test, or just don't care about gun safety. They'll run out and buy a hunting or fishing license every year, but raise hell about having gun licensing requirements.

I'd bet a bunch of those fools sporting guns like AR-15's, or weapons designed to gun down lots of people in seconds have one or many of these characteristics......

They are too cowardly to even serve in a real army, but want to act big and tough strapping that big gun on them around unarmed women and children, they have a small p*nis syndrome, were kids who grew up playing disturbing video games, are conspiracy theorists, or grew up around parents who were conspiracy theorists preparing and arming their underground bunker, grew up in some type off-the-grid survivalist family, grew up in a home around violent criminals with guns, grew up being fed hate/racism against others from parents in some type of violent hate group, wanted to serve but didn't pass the miliary entrance exam, were discharged from the military but still want to play soldier, have PTSD, anger issues, anxiety attacks, depression, or some other mental issues.

#3898 deb4rockets, Feb 18, 2024
    Agent94 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Many of the solutions stated in this thread would affect inner city firearm crime too. Better tracking of firearms and liability of those who don’t allow firearms they own or purchase to be used in crimes will cut down access to firearms used by gangs.

Also assault weapons are also used in inner city crime so reducing access to them will make things overall safer.

#3899 rocketsjudoka, Feb 18, 2024
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is exactly what I mean that we as a culture have to get beyond fetishizing guns.

Like most Americans I grew up with movies, TV Shows and video games with a lot of firearms. I’ve shot firearms and I agree that guns are KEWL!

I also grew up watching martial arts movies and wanted to do martial arts because that is kewl too. The difference is that becoming even a mediocre martial artist takes training and dedication. You have to have things like discipline and focus to do it well and if you don’t you’ll quickly find out that you either need to work much harder or martial arts isn’t for you.

Firearms are powerful but they are also relatively easy to use. We see it with literally children easily able to kill and wound several people at once. A highly trained martial artists even one trained in thing Like sword arts with a sword will not be able to rack up the casualties in a short time as an untrained teeenager with a semi-automatic pistol with a high capacity magazine.

As the cliche goes with great power comes
    Great responsibility. Right now our society is so focused on keeping and maintaining the power of firearms without requiring much greater responsibility.

deb4rockets likes this.