1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You never contribute anything of substance but you think you can tell people from the sidelines what to do and claim they are stupid etc.

You are in no position to hand out grades here.

Start contributing your first original thought and substantiated argument, then maybe someone would take you seriously.

2. Buck Turgidson

OK, then.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

**** off.

AroundTheWorld and SamFisher like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is really where we are as a society that we have to think about getting shot at big celebrations.

Listening to the KC mayor right now and according to him one of the weapons might’ve been modified for rapid fire beyond standard semiautomatic.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I teach self defense I emphasize the importance of knowing where the exits are. This is important mainly in case of fire but also in case of something like a mass shooting.

As an architect we need to consider the location and time to get to an exits. This is again for fires but in school design we are also considering such things for mass shootings.

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Let's see... in the past week we have had a shooting at a school, church, and parade. Thoughts and prayers.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Today's America sadly.

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not only big celebrations though. It's restaurants, bowling alleys, clubs, churches, schools, movie theaters, shopping centers, or anywhere else people go weekly or daily. It's like, have gun will travel to seek some human targets.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s true though Old Yeller.

10. NewRoxFan

This doesn't appear to be a handgun...

Xerobull and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sadly, it's become so commonplace that I wasn't even aware of shootings at a school and a church in the past week.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

so the gun was illegal.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Looked like some type of rifle, it's just sad man. If the Astros are lucky enough to win another World Series, I will have to think long and hard about going to the parade, if I had kids there is no way I would take them. I am not one to say that we should ban guns, that's everyone's right, but dam, cant we do something about "HOW" people acquire them? To many nut jobs end up with them...........it won't solve everything but let's do a deep dive into people's background and make sure they are capable of owning the dam thing. I haven't seen yet, but has Lyin ted copied and pasted his thoughts and prayers tweet yet.....he has that at the ready for just these occasions

14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

16. basso

Supporting Member

there was a recent case where the parents of a shooter were held criminally liable, and convicted of manslaughter. this is a good first step.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Been to both Astros parades.

Inner city events with a lot of trashy folks who you wouldn’t be surprised would get in a personal dispute and start shooting.

Real sad.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't follow this thread so forgive if this has been mentioned but there were way more murders in the late eighties/early nineties.

Maybe not mass shootings but we have seen several more violent periods

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I know, that was a pretty unique case. Beyond providing the gun, the kid's parents were shown to have ignored his deteriorating mental state, not cared when called to the school for a parent-teacher conference about him drawing violent images on an assignment hours before the shooting, and texting him "Don't do it" when they saw cop cars steaming to the school in response. They provided the weapon, ignored his safety, and knew what he was capable of. I'm not sure how many cases are that clear-cut.

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

lol...at least you didn't waste time asking a useless question just to follow it up with another.