1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Doing nothing (wrt guns) has worked. Gun homicides are way down from the 90s, even though there is more gun freedom than there was back then. There was a recent spike in shooting/murder during COVID, but there were no major gun law changes associated with the spike (unless there was a 12 year lag after DC v. Heller and a 10 year lag after McDonald v. Chicago).
    Swapping Ginsberg and Kennedy for Barrett and Kavanaugh had more to do with that than any success of incrementalism.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. NewRoxFan

5. NewRoxFan

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The "pending" blank makes me think the guy typing up his Excel spreadsheet is having some dark thoughts about his future.

7. StupidMoniker

8. HTM

HTM Member

TBF

U.S. Population 1968: 200 Million
    U.S. Population 2021: 332 Million

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not sure how they would have voted if the pressure wasn't there. But also, don't know if they'd have even been nominated if their presidents hadn't thought they'd win political currency for picking a nominee who could someday overturn Roe.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

The 28th will enshrine 4 widely supported gun safety freedoms -- while leaving the 2nd Amendment intact:

1) Raising the minimum age to purchase a gun to 21

2) Universal background checks

3) A reasonable waiting period for gun purchases

4) Banning the civilian purchase of assault weapons

11. NewRoxFan

Let's see... over 9,000 public schools in Texas. Figuring the fully-loaded costs of an armed employee at $100,000/year and at least one at each school... $1 billion dollars per year. Note, the law only allocates $330 million.

12. StupidMoniker

Why would one armed guard cost 100k per year? The national average (per zip recruiter) is about $41k per year.

13. NewRoxFan

Fully loaded cost... gun, training, benefits.

14. NewRoxFan

ANd btw, the person that tweeted this repeats the complete and debunked lie that Biden hired 87,000 IRS agents.

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well regulated militia.

https://newschannel9.com/news/local...ned-court-before-marion-county-murder-suicide

Sheriff Bo Burnette says this happened after Gary Don Barnett shot and killed his estranged wife Regina, adult daughter Brittany Perez, an unidentified man, and himself.

3 children also died, but the sheriff says they are unsure at this time if it was from gunshot wounds or the fire.

This wasn't the first act of violence by Gary Don Barnett.

In documents obtained by Newschannel 9, Barnett's estranged wife Regina told a Marion County Judge that she was afraid of him in December of 2022.

In an affidavit of complaint, she wrote...

“My soon to be (e)x husband threatened to shoot me and he verbally abuses everyday. He also threatened to shoot my dog. He also has anywhere from 50 to 60 guns in his room. I am afraid he will get drunk and shoot me.”

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if he put that money into mental healthcare, where we rank dead last in the nation. Imagine if some was used for teacher pay, technology, and maintenance of outdated schools. The NRA drives his policies, and they reward his for pushing out more guns.

These guys blame mental health, but do nothing to help the mentally ill. They even vote against funding more mental health counselors in schools.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Where did you get the $100k number?

20. NewRoxFan

My estimate of the fully loaded cost, based on average salary for an trained armed guard ($46k ranging from $35-60k, source salary.com), plus hiring and onboarding, training, whatever certification might be required, and benefits and other costs. Mind you, that's assuming only one guard per school.