1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Once you get more familiar with guns, what will really bake your noodle is when you find out that guns really dont shoot for themselves.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The weirdest thing about gun nuts from my experience is that they really value safety in terms of handling even though the technical aspects of handling firearms is extremely easy but ignore the actual hard part about weapons safety:

Emotional maturity and being empathetic. That is the actual difficult part about weapons safety.

subtomic, CrazyJoeDavola and ROCKSS like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because they are CHEAP. There are AR-15s that you can buy for less than pistols. Sub $500 Rifles that any American can afford. The quality might suck but they shoot. The gun is popular because it’s super cheap, super customizable and because the constant free advertising gun control folks give it.

4. fchowd0311

I mean it's a very good platform. Low recoil, high exit velocity, long range, accurate, relative high rate of fire being semi-automatic. It's a very effective weapon.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’m more of an AK man myself because of reliability and ruggedness but I’m also a Toyota guy so i have an image to maintain. No better way to get into semi auto rifles than the AR platform other than say the 10/22

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yes.

i think there is a direct correlation b/t the state cutting mental health budget and the rise in mentally disturbed/psychotic homeless people in austin. and the very people who vote republican will tell you how unsafe austin is b/c of "liberals".

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's very easy to say you have to improve "mental health" while also being opposed to:
    • National health insurance that would expand access to mental health (which is currently uncovered by a lot of healthcare plans)
    • The tax increases necessary to pay for such a thing
    I wish that somebody would press these goons on how they would "address mental health" because I'm sure that they have no follow-up specifics.

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Because he's right.

9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but anytime someone compares them to a "military weapon" we all get told how they are not and the AR sucks in comparison. So don't ever compare them when there is a mass shooting. On the other hand they talk about how great they are when wanting to use them against a tyrannical government.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Republican politicians focused on the distraction of drag queens (all 8 of them?) rather than gun reform. Their Neanderthal voters want their AKs, their ARs, so they can go shoot up s*** on the weekends. What a rush.

LondonCalling, cheke64, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Lol that's stupid also. The only difference between a military m16 or m4 and a civilian AR-15 is the military one has a burst fire selector and the civilian AR doesn't and what's funnier is that we never switch to burst selector because it's useless and removes trigger pull discipline and breathing control.

Any tangible difference in things like exit velocity and range would have to do with the ammo type that have different chamber pressure such as NATO 5.56 vs Remington 223.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yep...
    https://kffhealthnews.org/morning-b...-under-scrutiny-after-deadly-school-shooting/

14. Buck Turgidson

There's about 500 accidental shooting deaths a year in America, so that's just basically a rounding error in the math of total gun violence. Nice talking point, keep it up.

15. fchowd0311

Ya if we actually want to talk about gun safety, technical handling is the least concerning issue. It's the lack of emotional maturity and empathy from a large segment of gun owners in America that hinder gun safety.

It ain't safe waiving your piece around because someone cut you off in traffic. That is a safety issue not in terms of technical handling but an issue of emotional maturity.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Republican polticians use drag queens and other culture war issues to distract from everything that is important from gun violence to rising rent prices.

Rich people want working class white people to be angry at drag queen story hour rather than rent hikes and gun violence.

Just imagine Disney now being so happy that people are pissed off about Buzz light-year lesbian action rather than immoral labor practices and monopoly practices.

cheke64 likes this.
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Who pulled the trigger here? "Guns don't fire themselves!" Oh really? Tell me more...
    https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article274899656.html

Buck Turgidson and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It bothers me more than it should that this girl has two of the exact same jacket only one of them has zippers above the breast pockets and one doesn't.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Mental health is a major factor, but how can a gun shop know if the person is sane or not, are they just faking it to get the gun..........I don't own a gun so I don't know how the whole interaction works but I would think it would be hard to figure that out. I`ve heard some reports on the last few shootings where the shooter purchased the gun just days prior, there should be quite a long waiting and vetting process to buy one of these damn things. The gop will never allow these guns to be outlawed, they are beholden to the nra which makes no sense to me, the process to get one should be strict as hell. I am so sick of seeing wheels defend this crap and cruz coming up with his "thoughts and prayers " tweets, I am sure he has that on copy and paste

fchowd0311 and Reeko like this.
  20. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Well hopefully one day your kid or grandkid won't have the nickname "rounding error"

"Dearly beloved we are here to mourn the passing of Rounding Error."

Buck Turgidson and fchowd0311 like this.