1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another another unarmed black man shot by Police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockbox, Sep 25, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-groubert-former-south-carolina-trooper-charged-in-shooting/

At least this time, the cop is getting charged. Thank god for the dashcam, otherwise the cop could easily say the man made a threatening move.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is really getting out of hand .

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are we going to make a thread every time an officer fires his weapon or only those involving black men?

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Post some involving white men or women then, if you think its unfair.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not "unfair" it's just irrelevant, people get shot every day. I don't feel like every shooting is worth a thread. There are of course white men and white women along with hispanic men, hispanic women, Asian men, Asian women along with every other race or ethnicity who get shot even by cops but it's not a big deal because people aren't trying to push a racism angle then.

Anyway, whatever, it's none of my business have fun pushing that angle if you feel like it.

6. rudan

rudan Member

better yet, we need to have a section on here dedicated to shootings. We as a public need to know anytime someone gets shot in america :)

7. Scarface281

Could you post some of those stories?

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

"Ignoring my orders to get out the car, He dove head first back in his car, then jumped back out,"

That is what would have stated in Court by Groubert and His Lawyer had there been no video, I wonder what they are gonna pull out their asses now.:rolleyes:

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Your dismissive attitude and lack of empathy towards what has proven to be a pattern of blatant prejudice by the police force towards one particular race group is telling in of itself.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's over 400 police shootings a year....I don't really feel like combing through them for examples because it's not worth my time. If you want to believe that the police are out to get black men, I'm fine with you or anyone else thinking that. We probably need to order a few more tin foil hats for the D&D anyway.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Questioning if every shooting needs a unique thread is telling in what way? People are already confusing the threads, that is telling.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm dismissive of those trying to push the narrative, it's a tragedy when anyone is shot, even when it's their fault. It's even more of a tragedy when the person is truly innocent like in this example. That said, I'm not on board with turning these incidents into propaganda to push a narrative that only serves to get more people hurt. When morons buy in to the notion that police are out to get them, they react to police differently which oftentimes ends badly for them. In the situations where the cop is wrong, like this one, he should be charged and that should be that.

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He doesn't need to do such a thing, though, on the other hand you can just simply Google search for the results you want to find. There are plenty and they have been posted here before. Why have him feed you links when you can do the research on your own?

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

How about the dismissive attitude by others stating that being unarmed and killed by a cop is somehow a black problem? This is a problem for every person posting on this board regardless of the color of their skin, but let's just dismiss that.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I agree that *everyone* should e concerned about police officers making horrible mistakes (at the least) or abusing their role in law enforcement, why do you think folks are even more tuned to African Americans being victims of such actions?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are more tuned in to it because it reinforces a stereotype and helps push a narrative.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I mean, if you are going to ignore the disproportionate cases of racial prejudice against black people and maintain that it's not a problem then there is really nothing worth arguing.

You are just willfully ignorant. Plain and simple.

18. Scarface281

Why does he not have to do that if it is just a simple Google search? It is quite obvious that blacks are shot more by police and that there is prejudice against Blacks by police. Of course there will be other shootings, but the rate at which unarmed Blacks are shot are higher than any other race.

19. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I think its telling that some of the complaints/comments are directed at the amount of threads covering unarmed police shootings and not the actual shootings themselves.

Here is the video. The guy was stopped over a seatbelt violation.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-XFYTtgZAlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. g1184

g1184 Member

you guys are so lazy: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/investigations/item/Bulletproof-Part-1-Unarmed-and-Dangerous-24419.php

According to the interactive thing at the bottom of the article, here are the shootings involving Houston police officers from 2008 to 2012 (tallying the unarmed/none/vehicle/pen/screwdriver/cell phone/hair brush weapon categories):

Unarmed Blacks shot by HPD - 19
    Unarmed Hispanics shot by HPD - 13
    Unarmed Whites shot by HPD - 7
    Unarmed Mix of individuals shot by HPD - 2 groups (4 people)
    Unarmed Asians shot by HPD - 0