1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ANNOYING not subtly] Student who slams teacher for confiscating phone is facing criminal charges

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jan 27, 2015.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A former teacher of mine was arrested and ultimately resigned this year for an altercation that was caught somewhat on film. He was at the school for 23 years, and it all got undone by a kid and his iPod with an attitude.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That is what was happening. Phones at my high school had to be off. We would have surprise sweeps by the security, and if it was on then they would take it (then you pay $15 to the school). Some teachers were cool tho and warned about the sweeps.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would like to follow up the story to see if the kid DOES have parents or just doesn't give a hoot about rules. :eek: More than likely will be found guilty... and then be in the system... and then do it again unless he realizes it's not a good thing. My goodness, I'm upset.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not at all surprised it happened in Paterson. That city is notorious for stuff like this where I'm from and their public high school is basically a prison feeder system.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Man weren't able to get away with any of this nonsense that these kids are doing. As soon as we did something wrong those cards would come out and we knew when we got the gym it was on .

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Seems really premature to put all this blame on the kid

Have they done a thorough criminal investigation into this teacher's professional and private life to make sure he's not a racist first? It's possible he confiscated the phone out of racially motivated reasons.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Kids don't help because they're kids...and deep down they're scared too and can't think ahead. They'll go from giggling to oh **** in one second in that situation.

Teachers need better options, when it comes to controlling these bigger kids who don't give a ****. Once they sense fear in the teacher, they know they can pounce on them to get what they want. Teachers need personal panic buttons, if they don't have them already.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i guarantee the kids parents or more likely, mom, will sue the school.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Try finding a phone booth near campus to get a ride after class or extra-curriculars. Also there appears to be a big push towards net and tablet proficiency.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

This is why we should arm teachers with something to defend themselves. Maybe a simple crossbow or musket will do.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Teachers need body cameras. It's a cheap, fool-proof way to protect them and the students.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

this is a great idea.

get all the ghetto trash out of the schools so the kids that have a chance can learn.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I wonder why so much negative **** is being thrown at the parents. Maybe their child just didn't want to listen to them.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Good point!

If the teacher in reference ends up being a racist, would that exonerate the kid? The kid (allegedly) assaulted a 62yr senior who did not put up a fight, over what a phone? SMH!!

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think dback was being sarcastic.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I didn't get the sarcasm in his post, but IF he was being sarcastic my bad.

17. Buck Turgidson

Because they raised an *******?

Edward James Olmos would not tolerate this b.s.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sucks what happened and he definitely should have never done that to the teacher. That being said confiscating phones is ridiculous, it's 2015 and everybody has a phone today, they are vital to most peoples life and daily routines. You can just decide to take peoples phones and not give them back unless they pay a 15 - 25 dollar fine. What if the kid has an emergency, or needed to his phone to see when his parents planned on picking him up, there's countless scenario's to where a student cannot afford to get his phone taken away.

It's okay if they take the phone and give it back at the end of class, but when you take someones phone and they have to pay a fine your basically taking the damn kids money, and that will surely piss some kids off to the point of fighting a teacher.

At my school having a phone is most times a non issue unless the teachers feel like being a dick, and 90% of the time the students refuse to give up there phones (unless it's agreed that they will receive it after class with no fine), if they don't give up there phones they get written up and given a detention.

Kid should have never gotten physical with the teacher, but I have to also say the teacher should have just written him up instead of forcefully taking the kids phone away and refusing to get it back, that's asking for it when it comes to certain kids.

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I guess while you feel that the cartoonists didnt deserve to get killed, they shouldnt have insulted islam like that, that's asking for it when it comes to certain muslims.

20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

You're right, those two situations are exactly the same.