1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Annoying health issue with ears

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've become an expert of sorts on ear issues through experience -- ask me any question and i'll do my best to answer them or help you find the answer.

If it's a e-tube issue being clogged you can get tubes through your eardrums to help relieve the pressure. Pretty common for kids to have tubes, but certainly something adults require as well.

Getting your allergies under control is a huge issue and it seems you've taken the right steps to get that done.

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

JFC I have vertigo rt now and it's killing me...can't keep any food down...

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i actually went to the doctor today for the same thing. ive had chronic ear issues for about 3 years now and they keep getting worse. my ears are plugged up. it feels like there is water trapped in there. pressure in my ears and head. conversations in areas with background noise are difficult. i get that crackling popping sound when i move my jaw. sometimes my jaw gets so swollen that i cant close my mouth properly and its difficult to eat food. got increasingly worse tinnitus. my hearing is deteriorating.

i have severe allergy problems and im sure thats the main factor, but i got sick of living with it. so i went to the doc a year ago and they told me to take flonase. been doing that but still had problems. went back 6 months ago and they prescribed me steroids, which kind of opened up my ears, but one i stopped taking them symptoms came back. and the steroids f***ed me up for a few weeks.

so i went back today and the doc i had sucked. she just walked in w/out introducing herself...no hello or anything. jammed that probe in my ear so hard that it caused pain...still sore 8 hours later. she tried to get me to do steroids again and i told her they didnt work and that i wanted to go to ENT doc. she did hearing test on me and when i didnt respond as much as she liked she said outside noises were interfering. we did the test 3 times b/c she was complaining about how i wasnt hearing all of the noises (no s***!). finally got her to give me referral, which i am going to ASAP.

Exiled likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Did some looking around and found this cure on YT and it really worked; sorry to read about your ear troubles dude, right now is the worse with all the tree jiz in the air..

jo mama likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I thought you were a guy? o_O

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Some bad stories hear. I had an ear infection for about 6 months. They couldn't figure it out. Finally an ENT guy tried some sort of fungal zapper and I think that's what knocked it out. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever go away. Before we moved to Austin, I took allergy shots, had surgery on my sinuses, all sorts of steroids. Turns out that I was allergic to all the chemicals in the air (I grew up in SE Houston. There be chemicals there).

So after the move in 1980, I was allergy free for the first time in years. Whatever was killing me wasn't in the Hill Country. It took over a decade before I started to get symptoms from all the stuff in the air here, and there's a lot of stuff. Just not much in the way of chemicals. Now I'm like so many in the Austin area, snorting Flonase and taking Claritin. It usually works pretty well, but it's BAD right now. The live oaks are leaving that green dust film all over the cars and we're all breathing it. There are live oaks surrounding our place. At least they're pretty.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you better be blessed you don't have permanent tonsinitis.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dd you mean tonsillitis? I still have my tonsils and used to get it, but haven't had it in like forever. It's a bummer.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

tinnitus. Constant white noise in your ear. I know somebody that has to always have a tv playing to mask that insufferable annoyance.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wondered if that was what you meant. You spelled it with a "o" instead of an "i" ;)

I should have that problem, considering the huge number of concerts I went to back in the '60's and '70's, but not yet, and hopefully never. I'm very careful now about who we see these days. It can't be absurdly loud, because my ears can ring for a week or two, and like someone said, you wonder if it'll stop, or just keep going until you croak. The Paramount is a good place to see someone. They limit how loud a concert can be. Loud, but not too loud, if you know what I mean. I was a little worried when we saw John McLaughlin there (of the Mahavishnu Orchestra - they did a ton of great material), but all was groovy. I certainly don't envy anyone who has to deal with tinnitus everyday.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Have you tried any of the apps for "self-diagnosis" yet?

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

this might help

I would try also
    - salt water/saline drops directly to the ears and through the nose like twice a day
    -off the counter benadryl for motion sickness
    - avoid high pressure head shower
    -avoid opening/closing the window in the car at high speed
    -candles wax/Olive oil thearpy will be one last resort before any serious medical intervention

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

This will heal all that you need:

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Checking in.

Had a cholesteatoma when I was ten. Removed at Texas children's. Five and a half hour surgery. I lost a lot of my hearing in me left ear. They had to remove some of the ossicles that help you hear.

I have had ear infections constantly since then. Maybe two a year. I get the crackling noise quite a bit. Sometimes when I am walking around and my head changes positions, I can feel fluid in my ears moving around and my hearing ability will actually change on the spot. I have a permanent tympanostomy (hole in my ear drum) to help with these issues.

Sometimes my ear will randomly bleed and I'll fond blood on my pillow in the morning. Sometimes it's just fluid.

On windy days, or if I'm driving with the windows down, I can get some vertigo. When I go to the doctor and they suction my ear out, I get terrible vertigo.

These problems suck. No joke.

Exiled and Torn n Frayed like this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That YT video knocked it out, post haste!

Exiled likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My problems are with sleep apnea and allergies amplifying it. I have nightmares of dying and sleeper holds because I'm not breathing enough air and my brain is ringing alarm bells.

The thing about steroids, they're annoying to maintain but do not ever ever take them out of rhythm or miss dosages. Taper off them as regular periods than quit cold turkey. It'll shock the body less.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Every try those Breath Right strips? They open up your nasal passage to let in more air. Or a C-Pap system? I couldn't wear some headgear like that but for some it works..

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

some people with sleep apnea recommend using a little fan on low setting blowing over their face while sleeping

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting that this topic came up today. I've been having problems with my left ear for a few weeks now. It rings and feels like it needs to pop but it won't pop. Feels like it's full of something.

The really weird thing (and crappy thing as a musician) is that I hear different notes in both my ears. If I hear a D in my right ear, it's a D# in my left ear. Drives me crazy.....

I've tried Debrox ear drops, but it doesn't feel like the drops are going deep enough in my ear to make a difference. I put them in my left ear, then lay on my right ear for a few minutes. Then when I turn over, the drops just fall right out.

20. Buck Turgidson

Take a capful of rubbing alcohol, half water, pour it in 1 ear, with you head all sideways and whatnot. Let it sit for 30 secs. Flop your head over, repeat.

I do this after/during every swimming hole, lake, pool run. It works.

Is it wrong that I thought of you while I was just watching this? "Jimmy Vox, dr"

Deckard likes this.