1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Annoying health issue with ears

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Have you guys ever had symptoms where you hear like snapping and crackling whenever you move or move your head? It will drive you crazy. I'm going through it now. If this were a permanent thing, then I may have to call it a day cause it sucks.

Turns out in my case and after seeing medical attention, my ears and nostrils were examined they say I have pressure on my ear drums (causing them to bulge outward) coming from the Eustochian tube. Apparently, I am having a reaction to allergies that has caused pressure to build internally and push my ear drums outward. And, this causes the snapping and crackling...along with a what I would call clogged hearing...like you are listening to conversation in a cave. I call it the "bubble effect" because it feels like you are in a bubble when listening. Also, when the shower head water hits your head, it doesn't feel normal and feels weird on the head.

So, I'm on some steroid antihistamine nasal spray and allergy meds. It seems like something like that would clear up after a while on its own but it didn't seem to after a few weeks. I've never had allergies create problems like this even though I do have allergies to cedar/juniper and ragweed that hit me hard when those pollen levels are high.

I just started treatment so hope it helps cause the snap, crackle, and pop bs is the pits. I couldn't imagine living life with this condition being permanent. The only time it doesn't seem to be noticeable is if I am listening to head phones (thus, drowning it out), exercising, or in bed sleeping / stationary. Otherwise, normal movement and it is always there.

But, looking around the internet, there seem to be a lot of reasons why you could hear snap, crackle, and pop in your head...and a lot of people are living life with the condition always being present for them. I just couldn't imagine living with the condition for a prolonged amount of time. It just bothers me constantly and I hate it.

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

So it's not Tinnitus but a cracking popping sound? My allergies went especially nuts and clogged my Eustachian tubes also, but my symptoms included a constant ringing or buzzing sound - not cracking or popping in the ears. Same treatment though. 5 days in ringing is getting slightly better. I have never taken allergy medicine and thought it was just normal for my nostrils and lymphnodes to be stuffy and full.

3. Surfguy

I didn't really get any ringing. It's weird because every day I would wake up and my ears would feel a little different. Some days...they felt really clogged up and others it felt better. I think I had one brief moment where I had some ringing. I know the feeling of having temporary Tinnitus with a very loud ringing as I had it for about a week after a Rush rock concert I attended once years back. Turns out I was pretty much being blasted by a huge PA speaker and the sound mix was faulty at times with feedback. It actually hurt my ears hearing all that. I didn't have any ear plugs in. For about a week after that, I thought I was stuck with that loud ringing. That was scary.

4. VanityHalfBlack

This could be the problem why?

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/XJhyZARAJHw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/XJhyZARAJHw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ That is a question???
    What's "calling it a day"? :confused:

6. Surfguy

Insert smiley with rope and noose here call it a day. Or, maybe the guillotine would be more appropriate considering it's a head problem. lol

Hey...I liked Rice Krispies back in the day...just not in the head.

Maybe I was being a bit overly dramatic...but it wouldn't be fun to live with this condition permanently.

7. SwoLy-D

That's nothing to joke about. Get it checked, man. Get well. :eek:

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. I think I might have the same condition. My allergies have been really bad lately and everything sounds muffled.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reading his original post indicates that he has had it checked and is getting treatment.

10. SwoLy-D

Yeap. :) I missed it.

I apologize, Surfguy, but I think I stopped reading at "call it a day" because I thought "what the heck could that mean?!?!" and thought of the sharks in Finding Nemo: ":eek: INTERVENTION!!!".

Try a really steaming hot SHOWER. It worked for me.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So you still missed the part where he said he's on medication for it. You also missed the part where he said taking a shower feels weird and uncomfortable. You're on fire in this thread, bud! ;)

12. SwoLy-D

^ You missed the part where I said "I think I stopped reading at". :p

13. cebu

cebu Member

14. Surfguy

when i first started noticing the issue, i thought for sure (being a natural pessimist) it was...A TUMAH!!!

Then, I said to myself in my best Arnold voice...IT'S NOT A TUMAH!!! IT CAN'Z BEEZ!!! GETZ TO DA CHOPPER!!! AHHH!!!

It's still possible I could be misdiagnosed! IT'S A TUMAH!!!! AHHHHH!!!

15. prs325

prs325 Member

Most likely not a tumor. Even if you have symptoms of vertigo, tinnitus, asymmetrical hearing loss, aural fullness, there's less than 1% of it being an 8th nerve lesion. And even if it is, it's typically benign.

Btw, the crackling sound you're getting is probably your Eustachian tube trying to open up and closing. Once the Eustachian tube opens up again, the pressure will go away. Hang in there bro

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

This **** has been a constant problem for me since 1987. I've had 3 sinus surgeries a sinuplasty and I'm having another sinuplasty Tuesday. I took allergy shots for 15 years and I'm 5 months into a new sublingual treatment. One of my issues was fungal allergic sinusitis that took the surgeries and a year of a fluconazole lavages to get rid of (allergic to fungus, sinuses swell, create the perfect environment for fungus)

I'm pretty sure the event I am having right now though is allergy to Bermuda since I play golf and work demo-ing golf clubs. You'd think I would get some immunity from it after all the treatment but apparently not. It's dizziness just short of vertigo, reduced ability to hear, sleepy/dreamy like a zombie, increased tinnitus, a tender head just short of a headache.... and it adds up to an irritability that can quickly get you into confrontations in real life. Watch out for that because it can get you in a fight, fired or losing you SO in a heartbeat.
    I lost my profession back in the 80's because I went for months without being able to perform at an acceptable level.

I do get relief from prednisone and it's great, it makes you feel bullet proof. But you can't really sleep on it, you mind stays awake all night. After a few days your mentally exhausted.

Sorry to be a bummer but I have a long history with this and there are no good answers. I did have one doc inject steroids into my inner ear but that's sort of an off-label radical treatment and it didn't really work for me. Ritchie's Pharmacy in Conroe (http://www.richies.com/) compounds a betamethasone lavage (Neilmed squirt bottle) that is about 100 times stronger than Flonase. Have your doctor give them a call, it's only $60 for two weeks treatment. They do a fluconazole/Cipro too for fungus and bacterial infections. If you call it in, it's delivered to your house the next day.

But the only real solution is to stay out of your allergen and in Houston that's pretty impossible unless you become a air conditioned hermit, which I do from July to October.

#16 Dubious, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. DreamRoxCoogFan

I started a sublingual treatment with a company in Houston called A drops, and it has been money. I would recommend checking them out if you don't want to go the shots route.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Also, behind the counter at Walgreens they have a Waltrin D that is pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin that will open your ears up a little and get you through a workday. You have to ask for it and show your D.L.

19. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Very wrong hole, Surfguy.

20. Surfguy

Just found out I've got a bad rat infestation in my attic where they have even been in my a/c ductwork. I've been breathing contaminated air. I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it.