1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Annoying Announcers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Last night I went to watch the Jazz-Suns game on League Pass and I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. But it made me wonder something -- does anyone else have announcing pairs that they just can NOT tolerate? Before we get any further, I realize that my team's combo will probably appear on numerous people's lists. Once again, I apologize for them.

Anyway, my list is pretty short:

* Utah -- Their fans are summed up by the picture posted in this forum already, but their announcers are worse. The most homerific jazzholes I have ever heard in my life.

* Boston -- So help me God, if I have to hear one more "Tommy Point" for doing something stupid, I'm going to stab someone. Scary thing is that their radio guys are worse. I was late leaving the office on Friday last week and had to listen to the first quarter of the Nugs - Celtics game on XM and it was the Boston announcers. I almost drove off of the road to end the pain.

I know some are going to say the Bulls because of Johnny Red Kerr, but for some reason I can ignore him.

I miss Calabaro & Snapper Jones on Sonics games. They were probably my favorite. Damn OKC.

For extra reference, here is a fancy chart that someone posted on this board last year.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

last night's game was difficult.

the OKC homer kept saying "Olston" when Rafer had the ball.

he said it about forty times last night. :mad:

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Let me think of the ones I have heard most recently...

The OKC announcers last night were pretty awful. I could have done better commentary than they did for the Thunder... and I have only seen them play three times.

The Suns announcers weren't bad.. though they had a bit of a biased view on a few plays, they weren't so annoying I wanted to throw things.

Boston announcers make me want to hurl things at puppies.

Sacramento announcers were pretty good.

Lakers announcers again, made me want to throw things. They were not only homers (which I can deal with) they were anti everyone not Lakers. The only good thing they had to say about anyone other than a "fantastic laker" was that AB was fast.

Clippers announcers were pretty tame, though they were way too excited about anything that was bad for Yao. I get the feeling they didn't like him.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, I like the Cleveland radio guys, I get them here in Cincinnati, but the tv guys, not so much.

Edit: I actually don't remember having a problem with the Nuggs announcers. That may change when we head your way :)

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Any announcer that constantly (and I mean constantly) implies the refs screwed up is annoying in my book.

I'm tired of hearing play after play. "He missed the bucket, but looks like he was fouled no call". "Yao gets fouled, but I think he traveled". "They knock the ball off McGrady's hands, but they're calling it a foul". "He was called for a blocking foul, but it should be a charge". "That was a good play, but that was luck as well".

Geeze do they not get tired of reimplying every thing? This happened but then this and that also happened.....

5. droxford

droxford Member

Gene Peterson was in a tier of his own. I really miss the guy's announcing.

6. lwbjing

lwbjing New Member

有时候解说员的确很讨厌,可是没有又不行...

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow... GTFO

8. lwbjing

lwbjing New Member

日.............

9. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I'm not too sure if the Warrior's announcers are homers or not, but i really really like them, especially the colour commentator. He is money when it comes to calling the final play(s) of the game. He shows a great amount of excitement without error in what he says.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Boston are the most bias announcers ever.

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I haven't heard the OKC ones. I'm boycotting that damn team for the time being. Still bitter. Let me be.

Sacramento's are solid -- good call. I also enjoy the Blazers announcers. I forget the name of their color guy, as he's a bit annoying at times, but I seem to enjoy them. I like the Raptors guys too because they don't hide the fact that they'd rather be calling hockey. Last Sunday's game the color guy was talking about how they needed a good "scrum out there on the court to liven things up". Knicks and Nets obviously have some of the best.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah i couldnt stand the jazz announcers.

the thunder announcers last night weren't too bad imo outside of the pbp guy called Rafer "owlston" all the time. They were pretty tame i thought.

Boston is bad, mainly heinhson can stand him at all.

I like Stu Lantz for the lakers I think he is one of the better color commentators out there i used to watch him a lot as a kid along with Chick Hearn who was one of the absolute greatest ever, but I absolutely abhor Joel Meyers that guy is just plain bad. By contrast their radio guy Spiro Dedes is pretty good from the few times I have heard him.

The cleveland guys are sometimes way over the top with their gushing but its hard to blame them. I was watching the cavs/jazz game over the weekend and I was just thinking watching LeBron play that how much fun it was to see this kid play every night because you know you are going to be in for a treat, so I cant really blame them too much.

i did enjoy snapper jones when he did the sonics/blazers games.

Mike Breen and Clyde Frazier are probably one of the best in terms of being smart and objective. Even last year when Yao was blocked by nate robinson Breen kept saying that it was actually a foul when you look at it again.

Marv Albert/Fratello do the nets games and they are good too, but that could be because they do a lot of national tv games so they keep the same style....same with Breen

Worrell is a homer, so is bullard not as bad as some of the others. Personally I would prefer an objective look over a homers look because even if Worrell and Bullard feel that it was a bad call its not going to change the call on the floor. But they aren't too bad though, Worrell seems to be a bit more slanted against certain teams/individuals which is understandable

also whats with the chinese posting we speak english on this forum

13. yobod

yobod Member

You owe me a new keyboard.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah that was seriously annoying.

I tend to remember the good ones more than the bad for some reason.. and Memphis has some good guys doing their games. I'm a fan

15. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I don't mind homer announcers on the local feeds, but Tommy Heihnson from Boston needs to GTFO.

Remember that preseason game vs Boston when Bill Walker started trying to be gangsta, Heihnson was claiming T-Mac to be a thug and coming into the game bullying everyone. On top of that, he tried to call T-Mac a coward for going after the smallest guy on the court (Eddie Mouse) when Mouse was the one instigating everything.

16. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I was going to mention those two duos...they're entertaining and insightful. It's kinda like watching a national broadcast. If only I actually wanted to watch the Knicks or Nets...oh well, maybe in 2010.

Lately I can't stand watching the Rockets broadcast...I'm a huge Matt Bullard fan (I still have the Air Bull song on some computer...) but I hate him as a color commentator. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I prefer Clyde. Bull should be working in the studio or something.

Worrell has been getting worse for a while now, although the constant shuffle of color announcers probably doesn't help. I wish they were more objective. Sometimes I'd like them to be a little more honest (and critical) when necessary.

17. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Clyde Drexler deserves to be mentioned.

He IS the definition of annoying. Repeats everything Worrell says, makes unfunny "jokes", and adds nothing to the broadcast. Not even good basketball insight.

Bullard is also annoying with that "Free Throw defense" stuff, come on man, I'm tired of 50% of the broadcast being about Bill jinxing player's free throws.

18. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Sean Elliot of the Spurs TV announcing team.

19. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

i wanna murder Tommy H, whatever that sob's name is

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah I gotta say that Bullard somehow got annoying this year.. and Clyde has slowly but steadily improved..