1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

When do they say which will be on crunchyroll?

I can't wait for nisekoi... I read the manga early this summer and it should be a good one, for me anyway ;)

3. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

They'll usually announce it 1-2 weeks before airing at the earliest. Then there are some that get picked up the day before airing.

4. Hayesfan

Crikey! That's frustrating but I guess I shouldn't complain :) at least they are airing a bunch.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Anything coming out along the lines of Cowboy Bebop, Gungrave, or Ghost in the Shell:STAC this fall?

6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Don't think so by the looks of it, Haven't heard of most of these. Maybe lupin?

7. Hayesfan

Started Durarara tonight... It's a little messed up :) I will muster on however!

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

AOT is the best show out right now. Makes me feel lucky to be an Anime fan. Just a flat out intense episode.

9. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Hell yeah dude. These next two episodes should totally blow us away.

10. Hayesfan

I'm saving it until tomorrow... I can't believe I caught up and there's only three left!

Edit: OMG I can't believe they ended there!!

#670 Hayesfan, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

The obvious answer is the new GitS, although it's a four-part OVA and not a full series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Arise

Apparently the first two episodes are already out, although I haven't gotten around to watching them yet. It does make me nervous that Kenji Kamiyama -- who directed the first two series -- isn't involved at all this time. Nor is Yoko Kanno doing the music.

It's worth finishing. But I did actually like the first half better, it focuses more on the secondary characters, who IMO are more interesting. The second half focuses more on the three main schoolkids.

I am slightly bothered by the fact that Celty never really seemed to get a full payoff.

Incidentally, between Durarara!! and Baccano!, Brain's Base seems to stand almost alone as far as doing the best opening and ending sequences in anime.

12. Hayesfan

So I paused on Durarara thinking I would watch a cute anime about a brother and sister mending their relationship... Oriemo... watched season one.. thought, that was a cute ending.. went to post it complete on MAL and found out that wasn't the real ending.. so scoured the internet for the season 1 "true route" and three missing episodes... finished those and thought, okay I'll go ahead and start season two... got all the way to the end of it and I thought, wow they really didn't give me a resolution on which of the girls he chooses... so I find out.. wait that wasn't the ending and see that there are three ovas to complete the story!

OMG was I pissed! They really ruined the whole experience for me. I was totally invested in these characters and they ruined it by cheapening each and every relationship in the series!!!!!! Not to mention they tainted the whole relationship between the brother and sister.

SIGH why do I get so invested in these stories. I literally watched this entire series in one day because I liked most of the characters and come to find out whoever was doing the anime or light novels chickened out and basically decided no satisfactory ending was needed.

shew.. I feel better now, I had to vent.

Also, I think I should have stuck with Durarara now. le sigh

Thank god I still have an episode of The World God only Knows and Watamote to watch tomorrow

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm not sure if this is considered anime but this is one of my short-lived childhood favorites.

[​IMG]

Along with DBZ, but I get lost with all the online episodes after the Cell series. There seem to be different versions of their battles with Majin Buu and Kid Buu. From there I'm pretty much lost as far as series sequence goes.

If anyone knows a great place to find them in sequence that would be awesome.

14. AtheistPreacher

This news is about two weeks old, but it looks like Hayao Miyazaki is retiring again (but for real this time).

It's a bit sad of course... Miyazaki easily gets my vote as the greatest animated filmmaker ever, and you always want the legends to just keep on doing what they do until they croak. But really, it had to happen sometime, and so I'm not too broken up about it. I was way more upset when I learned Satoshi Kon had died of cancer at the age of 46 -- he had only done four films and one series, and had his whole career ahead of him. By contrast, Miyazaki is 72 and has left us a large body of work to enjoy.

In any case, I look forward to seeing his final feature film. I'm sure it will be wonderful, and that I'll be re-watching it many more times, along with almost every other movie he's ever made.

http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-explains-why-hes-retiring-1261922844

Hayao Miyazaki Explains Why He's Retiring

There have been many questions concerning why famed animator Hayao Miyazaki is retiring. Today in Tokyo, he answered them.

Best known for films like My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki spoke frankly about his decision to retire in a NicoNico streamed press conference, saying, "I know I've mentioned I'm retiring many times in the past, so I know that many of you might think, oh again. This time is for real."

"There were tons of things (anime) I wasn't able to do, but there were reasons why we didn't do them. There were so many ideas that popped in my mind, but it's not something I should mention publicly."

The director spoke about how his eye sight was getting worse, making it hard for him to create his animation. He also said how each year, he is leaving his desk earlier and earlier.

A reporter noted that Miyazaki's official retirement statement stated that he was retiring from making feature films. "As long as I can drive," Miyazaki replied, "I will be going to the studio every day. But if there's thing I want to do, then I will."

Miyazaki stated he needed to rest, and he didn't want to make any promises. When he asked if he planned to produce a NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind sequel, he said no. The famed animator said there were things he wanted to do, but said he wasn't willing to state them publicly if he isn't able to do them.

According to Miyazaki, he said if he were to think of the next film, it will take six or seven years to complete the film. "I feel that my days in feature film are done," the 72 year-old Miyazaki said. "If I said I wanted to [make a feature film], I would sound like an old man saying something foolish."

In his official retirement statement, Miyazaki wrote that he wants to work "for another ten years." He added that it might be shorter, as you can't decide your own life span, but he is aiming for another ten years that isn't filled with feature film production.

"I will be free," Miyazaki said. "I would like to do something else, and that's not animation."

Miyazaki said he would like to be more involved in the Ghibli Museum on a volunteer basis. "Maybe, I'll be exhibited in the museum," Miyazaki joked.

15. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I've only watched his movie pony, which I loved by the way.

16. AtheistPreacher

Really? You should seriously start watching them all. I particularly like:

My Neighbor Totoro
    Porco Rosso
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    Howl's Moving Castle

...which is not to say the others are bad by any stretch. These just happen to be my favorites. And if I had to pick just one, it would probably be Howl's Moving Castle.

17. Hayesfan

I am going to be so bummed when AOT is over... I haven't decided if I'm going to read the manga yet or not.

Sigh, all my crunchyroll queue shows say "coming soon" but next week is the last week for all of them. Caught up with Love Lab and Servant X Service this weekend... now I don't know what to watch :(

Is it October yet? I need basketball, both real and animated!!

did yall see this?

[​IMG]

18. mikennite

mikennite Member

Yes! I can't wait til the nba season and the anime(one of the only sports anime still alive :))

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Thanks for this. Been meaning to check out Darker than Black and Monster.

Anime noob here with zero experience outside a dozen DBZ episodes up until about a month ago. Happened to watch Spirited Away one day out of boredom, and found it to be pretty good. Enough to prompt me to look up some more Ghibili movies, since I do enough some Western animation like Pixar. Ended up watching all the Ghibili films, along with every other "classic" anime movie I could find(movie junkie).

Princess Mononoke, Wolf Children, Ninja Scroll stood out. I see the Blade Runneresque appeal of movies like Akira and Ghost in the Shell, but not really my thing. Most of the other ones were ehh, but mostly enjoyable.

Now moved on to series after hearing some recommendations.

Watched a dozen episodes of Naruto and Inuyasha, and realized I am never going to finish one of these long series so gave up. A little repetitive but both enjoyable.

Caught up on Attack on Titan. Pretty good, but might be because its the new thing right now. Finished Sword Art Online. Started pretty good, but kind of dropped off towards the end with the fairy stuff. Finished Devil is a Part-timer. Finding that I enjoy anime-style comedy in general. Finished Code Geass. V for Vendetta feel to it, a little overrated but good nonetheless. Finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. A little repetitive but still liked it.

Finishing up on Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Mirai Nikki, Berserk.

Looking to start Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and now, Darker than Black + Monster.

But yeah, this run started roughly a month ago, so I guess you could say that I am into this stuff now. Eh, it can't be helped.

#679 CXbby, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  20. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Nice that you're caught up to SxS, love that one. Still need to get caught up on love Lab, magi, and a bunch of the currently airing stuff, which has me pretty bummed. I want to watch them, but I can't get to them with GTA5 right in front of me.

Btw, you should definitely watch "little busters" season one on crunchyroll. It's a mini comedy, tear jerker. Season 2 coming out this October and is when it's going to truly be tear jerking. It's kind of set up like Clannad. As in Season one is kind of comedic, sad, and mainly a character introduction season, then season two is when things really go down. Highly recommend it.